Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Beer suggestions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jayh5, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayh5

Jayh5 Jul 25, 2013 North Carolina

Hey guys I'm new to the world of beer, I have only really tried IPA's and like DFH , stone, and founders. I want to try some porters, stouts, ales, something besides IPA's. Any suggestions ?
  2. gatornation

gatornation Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

try those (porters.Stouts) from the same companies that you tried the IPA'S
  3. Sunn

Sunn Oct 14, 2012 Iowa

If you like Founders, give their Porter a try. It was one of my first porters and I loved it.
  4. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

Founders Porter is awesome. Along with Anchor Porter. As far as stouts go I'd say a good starting point is the always fantastic Sierra Nevada stout.

Enjoy those porters and stouts - They're my personal favorite styles
  5. ZachKelly

ZachKelly Dec 25, 2012 Virginia

You can't go wrong with Yeungling. It's a good, smooth lager. Try anything you can find from Asheville or from the Foothills brewery.
  6. Mikecap

Mikecap May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Everything from Stone is good, if you liked their IPA, try Arrogant Bastard, Sublimely Self-Righteous, Smoked Porter, and Levitation Ale. From Founders, their Porter is a must try, and Dirty Bastard is really good as well. When Breakfast Stout comes around, that is one of my all time favorites. For well-priced and accessible stouts and porters, I also suggest Sierra Nevada's Stout and Porter as both are really solid.
  7. BlueRogue

BlueRogue May 1, 2011 Maine

Sierra Nevada- Their East Coast brewery is going to be in your state.

Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter and Oatmeal Stout
    ZachKelly, Schwantz and Givemebeer like this.
  8. Jayh5

Jayh5 Jul 25, 2013 North Carolina

Ok thanks guys.
  9. xShoWTeKx

xShoWTeKx Jan 21, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!