Beer traders must have profile visible

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by jrnyc, Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,282) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Please update the site so that if you are a verified beer trader your profile must be visible so other traders can see when you were last online. Some traders who are engaged in suspect behavior are turning this off to hide their activity on the site to cover their tracks. Also, in general this would add more transparency to trading.

Thanks.

#1 jrnyc, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  2. Vidblain

Vidblain Savant (953) Feb 17, 2017 Minnesota

Signed and supported! Great proposal @jrnyc !

3. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (4,638) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I don't see why a user page needs to have the option to be private for any reason unless you've blocked a specific user--it's not like it shows our real name, address, credit card number or social security number lol.

In any case, I support this, particularly for the trading community. If there's something on your profile you're afraid of other people seeing, you shouldn't have it on your profile to begin with.

4. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,470) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I agree. Seems self evident that traders should have their pages visible to all.

5. tzieser

tzieser Savant (930) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Count me in. Unless you have something to hide, what's the point?

6. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,387) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I think all your activity should be viewable and also any warnings or reports so others can see before they get into a trade with someone, just keeps everyone honest. The only items that should remain private would be passwords and other data that is just between you and the site owners.
    Cheers

7. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,501) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri

8. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Poo-Bah (4,682) Aug 10, 2005 Idaho
    Beer Trader

Makes perfect sense.

Lone_Freighter, FFFjunkie and jrnyc like this.
  9. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,968) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

Sure, no reason not to.

Lone_Freighter likes this.
  10. taplebr

taplebr Disciple (315) Apr 7, 2015 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Agree. Seems shady to me when profiles are hidden... what are they hiding?

11. AZBeerDude72

One item I forgot to mention in my previous post is with your mentioning of some traders acting not so on the up and up regarding past dealings. I sure hope they are being reported to the mods so they can be flagged so other traders don't get burned. I think one major perk is that people here help each other out and if you know some that are acting bad please report them so good people don't get burnt.
    Cheers

Lone_Freighter, beergoot and jrnyc like this.
  12. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,282) Mar 21, 2010 New York

They put a "bad trader" banner that shows up on their profile and when they post.

Lone_Freighter and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  13. AZBeerDude72

Excellent, nothing worse than people trying to get beer from people then stiffing them in return, they need to be banned in my book lol. Thanks for info.

Lone_Freighter and jrnyc like this.
  14. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (293) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Love this idea. Usually a common thread with bad traders - they turn their accounts private as soon as they read people have called them out for being on the site (usually in the ISO/FT forums) without responding to the BT accusations.

15. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,421) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

100% agree with this!

16. BWood

BWood Crusader (727) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Another vote for the Aye’s

Lone_Freighter and jrnyc like this.
  17. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,968) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

Looks like the ayes have it.

18. NiceBeerCans

NiceBeerCans Aspirant (238) Mar 16, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Actually like the idea of when a bad trader gets BAD TRADER banner on his profile, then his privacy settings gets changed and locked to fully visible until the matter is resolved.

It's a nice balance of fully exposing the suspected Bad Trader yet not affecting the majority of users that follow the rules.

19. macrosmatic

macrosmatic Poo-Bah (2,460) Mar 9, 2006 Florida

Maybe I'm missing what you're requesting here. It seems to me that there's two different things you're bringing up - and if I'm wrong, please explain it to me - but...
    1)Visible profile to other members
    2)Other traders seeing when you were last online

Aren't these two separate settings on BA? I guess I could get behind making the profile visible, but I guess if I went to trade with someone and their profile was hidden and I felt like there might be some deceit in play...I just wouldn't pursue the trade.

I see no reason to make #2 mandatory. One, there are many of us (including me and, ironically, the OP) who choose to leave that setting in the off position. No devious intent, but I see no reason to be required to share it with the BA public just because I'm a Beer Trader.

As for the Bad Trader threads - if I'm not mistaken, the mods (including @dmbforever, who most often plays mediator) can see when someone was on line and what they viewed. So even if the "bad trader" has this setting off, it's not like they're able to hide from the folks who will be ultimately determining consequences and sharing the information with us as they see fit.

I would have less of an issue with this approach.

NiceBeerCans likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.