Beer Trip: Boston or Denver?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas, Oct 7, 2017.

?

Boston or Denver?

Poll closed Nov 6, 2017.
  1. Boston

32.7%
  2. Denver

67.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meb3476

meb3476 Aspirant (208) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts

Being from Boston and been to Denver I'd go with Denver. The proximity to the bars/breweries is a huge plus for Denver.

2. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,966) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

Yep, exactly this.

Never been to Denver, but it seems they have a ton of great breweries and food all within walking distance/short driving distance around the city.

Boston is amazing, but definitely isn't a beer city. You have to include the greater whole of New England to make it so.

meefmoff and eppCOS like this.
  3. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,030) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Denver > Boston, all day. Been to both, but not "devoted" to either. That said, I can walk to 15-20 breweries on foot easily in Denver, while in Boston....not so much. I was actually surprised by how decentralized the breweries were in Boston...

SFACRKnight likes this.
  4. dwmetsfan13

dwmetsfan13 Initiate (175) Jul 22, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I think it also depends on:
    1. Whether this is more of a beer drinking trip or if you're also looking to bring or ship stuff home - a VT excursion probably doesn't make sense if it's just to visit and not bring anything back although a night in Portland could still be worthwhile.
    2. Whether this is solely a beer trip or if that's just part of the vacation
    3. If beer is just a part of the vacation, what else you like to do. Boston has historical stuff, seafood, potentially a beach in Maine while Denver has more hiking and outdoors stuff (although if you were to make it to VT there's decent mountains there just nothing compared to the Rockies)

beertunes likes this.
  5. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (155) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

Even though I haven't visited Denver since after turning 21, that'd be my vote. I go down to Boston multiple times a year but can't say I see it as an ultimate beer destination. There are some good breweries, sure, but they're spread out, and many aren't accessible by public trans. Also, Boston hotels are crazy expensive. Just my two cents, but I'd suggest VT or Portland ME over Boston for a NE trip.

meb3476 likes this.
  6. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (530) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Having been to both in a month. I'm going to vote for Denver. Seems a lot easier to find good beer in Denver because a lot more places happen to focus on it. Beer culture in Denver also seems like it is several years ahead of Boston, and there are concentrations of breweries, and beer centric bars. So you get bang for your time; and it definitely requires your walking, biking, or taking public transportation. Boston seemed spread out for breweries/taprooms, and forget about it for beer centric bars. THere's still come carry over from the previous era where craft is a few taps and the mainstays are the same thing the place has had since they opened.
    Not too mention, hops cousin is available recreationally, so your day trips out into the national parks have bonus omg its beautiful points added on. Boston is 'legal', but it's still grey area for finding.
    Getting out of the city for both is eye poppingly amazing. It just depends if you want water and salinity, or mountains and dry air for your eye candy.

7. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,815) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

LOL this is a hard choice, I guess I would roll with Boston since I get beers from Denver locally. Plus I like the Boston area and all the things to see, so I would do that one first. Then you have a reason to do trip two later and see Denver lol.

Cheers

8. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,420) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

I think the difference is in the density - there's great breweries all over New England but they are just that - they are all over the place rather than concentrated in specific areas. That's changed a little, but not to the point where you can park yourself in one spot and get to interesting breweries easily. Then there is the traffic, brewery schedules, and general aggravation navigating in the region. Road construction being the sixth major sport after baseball, football, hockey, basketball, politics...

Never been to Denver other than a fly through/layover, but sounds to me like Denver has a lot more available in a smaller, more easily navigable area - kinda stay in one place with more options whereas in New England you have to move around a lot to find things. I have clam chowda running in my veins, so I am as much a New England home boy as they get... People ask for advice on itineraries in the NE forum and some of them are flat out impossible given the time it takes to go from one to t'other...

9. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (459) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

They don't call it 'Cone-a-rado' for nothing though, pham.

10. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (530) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

I found that to be very true. Distances can come in. But, it was mostly just the amount of time it took to travel, what for us grid city people consider to be a short distance. Because your roads, and the confusing (to us) density of your pre auto designed infrastructure make the switchbacks in the mountains seem relatively tame in comparison. You lot also have some interesting self appointed rules of the road.

PapaGoose03 and LeRose like this.
  11. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (383) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

I thought everybody in Texas already had a 2d home in Colorado, where they spend all their free time. OP, what the hell kind of Texan are you, anyway? :stuck_out_tongue::beer:

spoony and SFACRKnight like this.
  12. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (383) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

rental car adds Weldwerks in Greeley and the FoCo breweries Funkwerks and Jessup Farm, as well as Golden's Cannonball Creek, and all less time-consuming than (I'm guessing) a trip to the Boston exurbs, with Ft Collins or Greeley both about 1:15 away from downtown Denver, and Cannonball Creek more like 20 minutes.

And oh the things you can drink at Avery in Boulder, maybe 40 minutes from downtown Denver, or Oskar Blues Liquids & Solids in Longmont, ditto...

but who's gonna drive?

13. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,520) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

No one has commented yet on the ability of the subway/trains to get you to the various good places that are in the greater Boston area if a person wants to just stay in the area and not go to Vermont or Maine.

During the several times that I have visited Boston I found that the "T" was easy to learn to use (believe it or not, my nickname is 'Tom Dooley' if anyone reading this is old enough to understand that reference), but I didn't try to use the "T" to visit breweries, pubs, etc. I do know that Cambridge Brewing and Sam Adams are reachable with minimal walking from the subway stops, but how about some of the other good places in the area? Is the "T" a viable transportation source that the OP (or other potential visitors to Boston) might take into consideration?

Bitterbill and LeRose like this.
  14. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,420) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Well, I have not been a Charlie on the MTA rider since my undergrad days in the late 70's, but the kid's tell me there is this new fangled thing they use...I think it is called Uber? Seems that could work very well and get you to Jacks Abby, Springdale, and Exhibit A easily for a nice trio in a day. Mystic, Night Shift on another. Trillium and Harpoon are easy to reach.

There are bus connections to places, too, and you are right. The system is pretty easy to use, but I don't know it nearly as well as I did when I had to use it. But yeah...doable between T and Uber for sure.

Tom Dooley...hmmm...I know the reference well...the connection not so much ;-)

VABA and PapaGoose03 like this.
  15. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,520) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Oops, wrong song (it was Charlie), but the right singing group. (I think.) :grin:

LeRose likes this.
  16. matthewp

matthewp Initiate (188) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts

Agree Uber is the way to go. MTA is a nightmare, anyone who has spent any time in virtually any other city that has public transit would laugh at the way public transportation works in Boston. Any time I hear anyone state that they liked the subway its from someone who comes from somewhere that has no public transit. Compared to nothing its great, compared DC, New York, London, etc. its a joke.

I used to live pretty close to where Night Shift brewery is on the other side of the Wellington Circle T stop in Somerville. I worked right across the street from South Station in Boston. From Wellington you can see the top of the building I worked at (4 miles away). It would take me somewhere around 45 minutes to get to work by subway where I would either have to switch lines or walk.

So realistically the bottom line with the choice, IMHO, is whether you are just looking to visit breweries in general or if you want to experience beer that you can only get in the area? Go to New England if you want to tick off breweries like Tree House, Trillium, Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, etc.. You'll also get variety but you are going to work for it. Denver is going to be cheaper and easier to get around, there's no doubt about it. You'll hit more breweries in a shorter period of time. If you also want to be touristy? Then Boston is your better bet. I love Colorado and Denver but density of tourism is higher in Boston.

If you do pick Boston and you don't want to be touristy then don't get a hotel in Boston and only get a car when you need it. I'd start by getting a hotel maybe just north of Boston where rates are lower. Uber into Boston for a day and go to bars, Trillium brewery, Trillium on the Rose Kennedy Parkway, etc.. Take another day or two and Uber to breweries nearby like Night Shift, Mystic, Bone Up, Aeronaut, etc.. After that rent a car and get a hotel south of Boston maybe more in the Framingham or Worcester area. Drive (Uber in some cases) to Jacks Abbey/Springdale, Exhibit A, Tree House, go to Armsby Abbey in Worcester (bar), Wormtown, etc.. You could spend 1-3 days in that area. Drive up to Vermont and hit places like Alchemist, Foam, Hill Farmstead, Fiddlehead, Lawsons, Burlington Brewing Co, etc.. Maybe stay in Burlington Vermont. Drive over to Portland Maine and hit Allagash, Foundation, Bissel Brothers, etc.. Stay in Portland and visit their restaurants and bars. You'll hit some amazing breweries but its a lot of work and a lot of driving especially in Vermont. You could skip Vermont potentially to save time/money.

LeRose and PapaGoose03 like this.
  17. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (514) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

If I flew into Denver for a beer vacay I would probably plan it out to do sober stuff for 4-6 hours, then hit a brewery, do some stuff, park car, and hit more breweries.

Mountain Trip: Casey is 3 hours ish from Denver, nice drive but the traffic can be terrible. Depending on what time of year you are going, it's beautiful but conditions vary. Along the way, Outer Range is a must-stop if you like hoppy beers. An overnight in Glenwood springs or Frisco is recommended.

Fort Collins/ Northern CO:
    Lots to see here but Greeley for Wiley Roots and Weldwerks should be a top priority. If you get a hotel in Fort Collins you can easily move around to breweries once you park your car.

Denver: There is a LOT to see here and it can be overwhelming. Do you want hidden gems or known quantities? Must see: Black Project, Cerebral, Epic, Crooked Stave. Station 26 and Great Divide can be well worth your time as well. And lots of taprooms/ beer bars in the area.

Others: Don't sleep on Avery, Odd 13, or 4 Noses in the area North-West of Denver.

Rocky Mountain National Park is pretty cool, but Estes is mostly a beer desert so it depends how much time you have.

Denver's culinary scene is coming on pretty strong, but I'm sure Boston has some amazing eats available- and more of a cultural "identity" whereas Denver is a melting pot.

18. peteboiler

peteboiler Initiate (139) Dec 16, 2010 Florida

If it is strictly a beer vacation, I would say Denver. However, for American history, I would definitely visit Boston. Amazing city, surrounding areas, and historical sites. I am a history nerd, obviously.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  19. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,156) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I think both are great choices, but here's how I rationalize Boston. Denver's "best" beer, IMO (subjective), does not touch Boston's best, not to mention that Boston & that area specifically have quite a few "wow" beers for people who have never tried them before. Some want variety; I want a game changing moment. If I was someone who had never been to either place, my takeaway would be that I'd sacrifice the greater sum of parts for that one (maybe two) beer(s) that leave you speechless. In my beer drinking experience, those have been the moments that stand out most for me. I can always remember exactly where I was and what was happening the first time I experienced a one-of-a-kind beer. You could send me to three different cities to try hot dogs. City A and City B have better hot dogs, overall, than City C by a wide margin. However, City C has one of the best hot dogs I've ever had in my life. That's what I'm going to remember the most. To each their own.

Your advocates have given you a lot of good recommendations, so you can't really go wrong. Enjoy the trip!

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas and LeRose like this.
  20. Dan_K

Trader

I think a lot of people who are beer traders (and have tried beers from all over) would take exception to this comment. How much do you know about the Denver regions' "best" beers?

21. TheIPAHunter

Society Trader

That's why my statement was followed by "IMO," sir. I'm no expert, not even remotely. That said, if I reviewed every beer I've ever consumed, I would have been a "Poo-bah" when Bush was still President. I'm not here for accolades. I'm just a guy who loves his IPA. I stand by my statement.

22. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,355) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

How about some examples to back your opinion instead of waxing poetic about your beer karma? I've had all the NE fan boi beers, and Colorado makes examples that are equally good.

23. TheIPAHunter

Society Trader

I think you missed the point. I was merely defending my opinion. I rarely post in the opinion-based forums because someone always gets upset. I wasn't attempting to downgrade CO in any shape or form. If you go back and read slowly, you'll clearly see that. And, for the record, I give ZERO f*cks about beer karma. That was my point.

I'll stick to WBAYDN from now on, as clearly it's way too serious over here. Cheers, advocates!

24. SFACRKnight

Trader

Your point was you believe you have had Denver's best and they can't hang with Boston's best beers. I'm just curious what beers you're comparing. No need to pack your bags.

25. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (459) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

People from NE finally had something great and everyone kinda copied, yielding equally delicious offerings and they’re definitely still in shock about it.

Ever notice how much they love the Patriots, but no one there gives a single fuck about college football? They just really wanna be good at stuff.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  26. SFACRKnight

Trader

Is flour in beer the brewing equivalent to deflated footballs?

Dan_K and ManBearPat like this.
  27. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (365) Sep 19, 2013 New York

Denver.

I visit Boston three times a year and while Trillium, Jack's Abby and Nightshift are all awesome, the actual city of Denver is much nicer. People are more friendly, better infrastructure, not as crowded, and the beer culture is more refined. My favorites there Odell, Odd13, Crooked Stave and Great Divide. Add to that the consumer grade dispensaries and it's a win win. Too bad the greedy politicians are waiting for their pay out envelopes in Massachusetts before allowing any recreational stores to open. They are not acting upon the will of the people.

As was also mentioned, the best trip would be longer, but would include Upstate NY, Massachusetts, and then Vermont. But the Denver area has everything in a more compacted area.

beertunes likes this.
  28. rgordon

rgordon Savant (983) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

My really rich cousin in Austin has a place in Portland., which is nice. He made his money working mortgages around 05, 06. His mom and dad were hard core liberals, really old school, professors. He always said he had a IQ of 180. He was/is an ass. I was two years younger, and I have always been glad that he attacked me. He is still afraid of me. But, family is everything. I do love Texas.

beertunes and Squire like this.
  29. Billolick

Billolick Poo-Bah (7,618) Dec 20, 2003 New York
    Society

so Denver in my mind

30. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,419) Sep 24, 2007 Kyrgyzstan
    Trader

FTFY.

spoony and SFACRKnight like this.
  31. Mateo2699

Mateo2699 Zealot (564) Jun 9, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Never been to Boston. But as a fellow Texan and huge beer nerd, Denver is one of the few major cities in the US I can visit without making it any kind of beer related trip. The ski slopes (love Breck and Vail), scenic drives and super friendly people make it worthy enough for me to visit every year.

Dan_K and SFACRKnight like this.
  32. Dan_K

Trader

I would love to go to Boston sometime, obviously.
    However, I would also think a beer trip to LA/San Diego or to Portland would also be really fulfilling. San Diego might be the best place to visit in the wintertime, as the weather is so mild. Also, laid back attitude and tons of stuff to do.

33. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (192) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

6? Maybe in Boston proper. So many within say 10-15 miles.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  34. matthewp

matthewp Initiate (188) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts

Hey at least we don't have a freaky blue horse with red eyes that's anatomically correct welcoming visitors when they get out of the Denver airport (which by the way looks like a big top circus). :slight_smile:

Now seriously I love Colorado and I love Boston. Really no need for us to resort to making fun of each other's area. I think the most of us in NE are super psyched to see great beers coming out of anywhere even if the beer is "our claim to fame". Less people trading for our beer and more for us.

ManBearPat likes this.
  35. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,815) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

So OP, have you decided on where? Curious what you picked.

36. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,880) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

And Zwei in the fort.

SFACRKnight and ManBearPat like this.
  37. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (821) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)

Don't forget about Maine Beer Co. and Allagash. Portland is just a few hours drive north on the 95!

38. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,880) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Hang down your head. :wink:

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  39. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Disciple (385) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Always appreciate a thought or two from you Hunter! Glad you contributed to this conversation and I see your point clearly. CHEERS!

drtth likes this.
  40. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Disciple (385) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Trader

Likely going to be Boston. Its my brother's bday gift and I can just tell thats where he wants to go.

Im self-employed though and depending on the year - business can be boom or bust. If its "boom" then we can very easily be doing both cities next year, sooo....here's hoping!

Thanks for asking @AZBeerDude72

beertunes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.