Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Beer Under Glass 2017

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by NNN, Apr 13, 2017.

1. NNN

NNN Initiate (151) Feb 9, 2017 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Looks like BUG released their list of breweries involved in this year's event.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Beer Under Glass 2017 | Garfield Park Conservatory
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 | 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm

2 Fools Cider
    4 Hands Brewing Company
    Alarmist Brewing
    Ale Asylum
    Aleman Brewing Company
    All rise brewing
    Alter Brewing Company
    ALULU Brew Pub
    Andersonville Brewing
    Argus Brewery
    Around the Bend
    Baderbrau Brewing Company
    Ballast Point Brewing Company
    Band of Bohemia
    Banging Gavel Brews
    Begyle Brewing
    Birreria at Eataly
    Black Horizon Brewing Company
    Blue Island Beer Co.
    Blue Nose Brewery
    BrickStone
    BuckleDown Brewing
    Burnt City Brewing
    Cahoots Brewing
    Corridor Brewery & Provisions
    Cruz Blanca Brewery
    Crystal Lake Brewing
    Deschutes Brewery
    DESTIHL Brewery
    dovetail brewery
    DryHop Brewers
    Emmett's Brewing Company
    Evil Horse Brewing Company
    Exit Strategy Brewing Company
    Finch Beer Co.
    Flossmoor Station Brewery
    Forbidden Root
    Forge Brewhouse
    Gino's Brewing Company
    Goose Island *
    Great Central Brewing Company
    Hailstorm Brewing Co
    Half Acre Beer Company *
    Half Day Brewing Company *
    Hand of Fate Brewing Company
    Haymarket Pub & Brewery
    Hop Butcher for the World
    Hopewell Brewing Company
    Hopvine Brewing Company
    Horse Thief Hollow
    Illuminated Brew Works
    Imperial Oak Brewing
    JT Walker's Brewery
    Kinslahger Brewing Company
    Lagunitas Brewing Co *
    Lake Effect Brewing Company
    Lo Rez Brewing
    Lunar Brewing Company
    Mad Mouse Brewery
    Maplewood Brewery & Distillery
    Metal Monkey Brewing
    middle brow beer co.
    Mikerphone Brewing
    Miskatonic Brewing Company
    Motor Row
    Myths And Legends Brewing Co.
    Nevin's Draft Company
    New Belgium Brewing
    Noon Whistle Brewing
    North Pier Brewing Company
    Oak Park Brewing Company
    Old Irving Brewing Co.
    On Tour Brewing Company
    One trick pony
    Peckish Pig
    Penrose Brewing Company
    Piece
    Pig Minds
    Pipeworks Brewing Co.
    Pollyanna
    Prairie Krafts
    RAM Restaurant & Brewery
    REVOLUTION BREWING
    Rock Bottom Brewery & Gordon Birsch
    Schlafly
    Scorched Earth Brewing Co.
    Scratch Brewing Company
    Short's Brewing Company
    Skeleton Key Brewery
    Sketchbook brewing co
    Smylie Brothers Brewing Co.
    Solemn Oath Brewery
    Spiteful Brewing
    Tangled Roots Brewing Company
    Temperance Beer Co.
    Ten Ninety Brewing Co
    The Church Street Brewing Company
    The Lucky Monk
    Three Floyds Brewing Co.
    Tighthead Brewing Co.
    Tocayo Brewing Company
    Transient Artisan Ales
    Tribes Beer Company *
    Triptych
    Twisted Hippo
    Two Brothers Brewing Company
    Vice District Brewing
    Virtue Cider
    Werk Force Brewing Co.
    Whiner Beer Company

Tickets: bit.ly/BUG2017
    Learn more about #CCBW: chibeerweek.com

Nachos4two likes this.
  2. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (241) Dec 24, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

I love Garfield Park and was planning to go to when I saw leftover t-shirts from last year's but the price is pretty steep. Is it worth going?

3. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (324) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I went the first three years during the early days of CCBW and it was awesome. Its a beautiful place for the event if the weather is nice. The third year though, it started to get pretty crowded with a long line to get in, and there were many other CCBW options starting that I decided it was my last year. I can't vouch for it nowadays, but with so many fests these days, there aren't many I will go out of my way for.

4. NNN

Beer Trader

I haven't gone either. Likewise, I love going to GPC. I wonder how many people are going to get super wasted and make the really poor choice of walking home through East Garfield Park-- Not exactly the area of Chicago you want to get lost in at sundown.

5. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (332) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I went last year and thought it was one of the best fests I've done. The line to get in was a bit nuts, but it was better than most after that. There's a ton of space other than a few routes through the interior and none of the lines were crazy. The beer selection was a step up from most fests too. No guarantee it will be the same as last year, but I got stuff like BA Dark Crusader, GDDC and Mike brought Pale Pauper, ISLBS and a BUG exclusive BA stout with cinnamon.

The only reason I may not be back this year is I'm working in the burbs now instead of the city, so it would take me longer to get there and probably more time in line. I'm also going to try to hit more CCBW events in general (hopefully Sunday Funday and the Pipeworks Emporium takeover if they happen again).

FBarber likes this.
  6. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (392) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It's a good time, but IMO not worth the price. $64 for 3 hours, and that's if you get in on time, which unless you show up 90 an hour beforehand, won't be the case. My friends took 30 min to get in. Plus it's on a Thursday.

When it was $40, I thought it was totally worth it.

There's lots of great beer events going on during CCBW, and I would rather just find a cool tap takeover or another cool event going on and spend the $64 at a that event/bar and not have to cram it in to 3 hours.

7. chicagoTC

chicagoTC Initiate (191) May 23, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Agreed. $40-$45 feels right for this event. BUG and Fobab should not cost the same amount. Although the implication there may be Fobab is undercharging.

Vitamin_Hop likes this.
  8. Wowzors

Wowzors Initiate (146) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

BUG is one of my favorite events, excited for this year. I missed last year but went the previous two. It seems crowds have steadily been growing.

9. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,985) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I've gone the last couple years and Ill be there again this year. I really enjoy it and its pretty much the only fest I go to. Love the grounds and how spread out it is and taking in the gardens after hours. I didn't have any issues with the line last year and felt it moved quickly given the sheer number of people trying to get in.

Its not a fest to go to for rare beers for sure - although I've had some really good beers there - but its more the atmosphere and garden that make it.

mbockstruck30 likes this.
  10. BeerPrince22

BeerPrince22 Initiate (170) Feb 21, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Anyone have an update on what beers will be poured?

11. JoeSpartan22

JoeSpartan22 Initiate (114) Apr 23, 2017 Illinois

Any word on parking? I see they have a free lot but I got an email that only talked about valet parking for $10, and I assume they would use that lot for the valet. Not terrible, but still...

12. FBarber

The free lot is small and not meant for a festival. My guess is it will be very hard to get a spot there. I'd take public transportation if at all possible.

JoeSpartan22 likes this.
  13. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Disciple (324) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I would uber/cab if you can. Its also not the best part of town to park on the street. Plus its a beer fest, who wants to drive after that?

JoeSpartan22 likes this.
  14. NNN

Beer Trader

This is an understatement. For those of you who do not know the neighborhood, it is very dangerous, especially at night. Don't Divvy there, much less walk home. You are asking for trouble.

15. JoeSpartan22

Thanks for the tips. Suddenly valet doesn't sound that bad...

16. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (241) Dec 24, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Garfield Park is only dangerous if you're a suburban sissy

Perfect place to walk around alone and drunk at night

17. FBarber

Beer Under Glass was awesome! It seemed a bit smaller (i.e. about 7 or 10 fewer breweries) but the offerings were, for the most part, outstanding. The grounds were beautiful, weather was lovely until it got cold in the evening and everyone seemed to have a good time.

GI was pouring Prop '16, Cooper Project, and a barrel aged sour along with some of their other pale ales and stuff. I really liked Prop 16 (it was my first time trying it) but my buddy did not ... so it would seem opinions still vary. Other standouts:

Imperial Oak's anniversary stout was incredible,
    Forbidden Roots' two NE style IPAs were outstanding - Stay Lit was my favorite IPA of the evening,
    Corridor's simcoe NE style IPA was solid,
    Galaxy Bowl was alright - closer to batch #2 than batch #1, and
    Scratch's bier de garden was unique but really tasty.

Mikerphone's more sought after stuff had kicked by the time general admission got in - I was there at 6:40 and all they had left was Check 1,2 and Speak Softly, and those kicked within 45 minutes of GA opening. They might want to bring a bit more beer next year ...

Yo @JoeSpartan22 what did you think? have a good time?

JoeSpartan22, Jaycase and GrumpyGas like this.
  18. JoeSpartan22

I did have a good time, thanks for asking! Found a great mix of things I've heard of and wanted to try and a whole lot more I haven't heard of and should look out for. Prop '16 was good but spicy, and Imperial Oak's BA Quiet Giant (anniversary stout) was also nice, a good bit of barrel heat but beyond that it had a great silky texture.

Other quick hits:
    • Really enjoyed Scorched Earth's mojito gose but that's cuz I love lime and mint
    • Metal Monkey Mexican Chocolate Asmodeus stout was tasty and with just a bit of warming chili heat at the end. From this standpoint I liked it better than Prop.
    • Tried GI's cooper project scotch ale, which was nice to try but now I don't have to run out to grab one. Thought the Foudre project wild was better, had a really tart finish tho.
    • Black Horizon had a light blonde sour that was apparently mango (I thought peach) and their Chocolate Habanero stout was also tasty (spicier than Asmodeus but not as much as Prop). Will keep an eye on them since they're in my area.
    • Just a couple sips but kind of underwhelmed by Pipeworks Mango Guppy. Missed their Very Berry Abduction which would have been awesome (blueberry, raspberry, and strawberry I believe).
    And many many more that weren't as memorable or I couldn't give a fair shake because of palate fatigue.

Did VIP and would definitely repeat that, the extra time was worth it including the chance to get food right away before the lines got big. Crowds weren't bad but it was a little harder to move around later. Saw a couple people get testy due to porto-potty lines and cutting and whatever but that was right before last pour. And it is a beer fest, right? But between the weather, the setting, and the beer it was a lot of fun and is another event to pencil-in for next year.

mychalg9 and FBarber like this.
  19. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (492) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I would love nothing more than for FOBAB to cost tripple so less people go.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.