BeerAdvocate Scores on Beer Packaging?

Talk Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by AZBeerDude72, Oct 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I was curious if anyone else has seen Beer Advocate Rating on packages of beers? I snagged a 6 pack of Stone and it indicated 100 on Beer Advocate. I was curious how this works and how it plays out with the change to the rating system and current numbers, for instance the Stone Xocoveza attached shows a 100 but that is not the current number? Anyway just curious from others if this is becoming more common and how it works regarding use of rating on label.
    Cheers[​IMG]

2. FBarber

FBarber Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,161) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Never seen that before - interesting. Guess they need to update that to:

BeerAdvocate
    4.35/5

3. AZBeerDude72

That was sort of my thought, I don't recall Xocoveza being a 100 rated before and now with new system it is even more misleading. This was first time I saw it on package of beer, at times a store has labels on their shelves with BA or other ratings etc. It caught my eye I and wondered if this is going to be a new trend with companies utilizing ratings etc.
    Cheers
    Also, curious if BA is aware of this or if they just used it on label?

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Consumer Reports has a No Commercial Use Policy so companies can not use their ratings as part of their marketing. I guess that BA does not have a similar policy?

Cheers!

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  5. FBarber

I would assume that Stone would need permission to use that on the beer packaging. I mean BA does have the shelf tackers, but I've never seen it on the actual packaging. Interesting for sure.

@Todd

6. AZBeerDude72

Agree, and they probably did speak. I was just curious. Also, I would think they should use an accurate rating, calling it a 100 is sort of misleading ha ha.

7. FBarber

Im assuming that is this year's Xocoveza? Either way those carriers were likely printed months ago before the roll-out of the new rating system.

8. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

The holders were probably printed before the change, which is relatively recent.

9. AZBeerDude72

Yes, it's on the new 2017 batch. I would be curious from other users if its on the boxes in their state? I got these at Total Wine in AZ and all showed it that I saw.

10. AZBeerDude72

True, but was this one ever rated 100? I cannot remember but am curious since if they just put 100 on there that sort of kills it since its false advertising. I want to say it was in the 90s but I just cannot remember.

jrnyc likes this.
  11. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm sure BA is on board and has no issues. It just helps promote and market the website. Pluses far outweight the negatives IMO. Glad that Stone knows which website is the most credible with beer ratings (i.e. BA).

12. AZBeerDude72

I agree and I am totally cool with it. I guess my only input would be that they use accurate ratings, if they don't then it sort of makes the entire system worthless since everyone will just put 100 on their box and most consumers will never know. I think its actually sort of cool, it is a great promotion tool and also gives the people who provided the input to rating some credit etc. Just keep it accurate is all I would ask.

13. FBarber

I just pulled a cached copy of the Xocoveza page from July 6, 2017 (pre-change). The beer was rated a 96 by the BA community and a 100 by the Bros.

This link should work: http://web.archive.org/web/20170706211910/https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/128500/

14. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The industry is free to use our scores, and most ask before using it on packaging, in ads, etc. In this case, it looks like it's an old Bros Score vs. the BA Score; both of which were based on the old, proprietary, 30-100 score.

ICTguy21, AZBeerDude72 and FBarber like this.
  15. AZBeerDude72

Thank you @Todd for info.

FBarber likes this.
  16. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

In that case, it seems both accurate and misleading on the part of Stone.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  17. teal

teal Initiate (0) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

Interesting - I've never seen the ratings on the packages here but the store has and does put up a little rating tab on all their beers (that are worthy) but it's always been the ratebeer rating, not BA.

18. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Yeah use rate beer, the ratings seem inflated there. It makes sense to market with the highest score.

19. teal

teal Initiate (0) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

TBH - I don't pay attention to ratings. I'll try anything. My palate is different than most.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  20. AZBeerDude72

I am same way, I actually like to get items not rated just for thrill of hunt to see if I land a killer beer :sunglasses:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.