Beeradvocate > Untappd

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ssimpson89, Nov 28, 2018.

1. ssimpson89

ssimpson89 Zealot (581) Jul 24, 2009 Illinois

I’m interested in beer, so I look at a lot of online content. I prefer the content on this site, especially the detailed written reviews. I don’t have the ability to really properly describe beer flavors, so I appreciate the views of others. I know what I like and don’t like, but I find the descriptions very helpful.

I also joined Untappd, which has some advantages, but found BA was a much better source for me. I still use both, but prefer this site. I think they may possibly serve different audiences.

I searched the forums, but didn’t find much. What do you think?

I hope this isn’t controversial. To me it’s Founders vs. Bells. Both do some things better than the other, but I’m glad they both exist.

2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,604) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

UT = goofy, silly fun

BA = thoughtful, serious, silly, fun.

3. zid

zid Savant (921) Feb 15, 2010 New York

I couldn't tell you about the ins and outs about the ownership of Untappd, but Founders vs. Bells might be a better comparison for RateBeer vs. BeerAdvocate. :wink:

4. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (284) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I find that my ratings of a beer are more like those on Untappd than BA. However, I do like the detailed reviews on BA.

5. lrend13

lrend13 Initiate (92) Sep 26, 2018 Wisconsin
    Trader

I like the rating system on Untappd better. The app makes the whole check in process pretty easy. However, I really enjoy the forums and articles on beer advocate. Really informative.

6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,638) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I'm solely dependent on this site, I've got no interist in UT or Ratebeer.

7. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,217) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Umm..the Ratebeer of the last year or so has done a nose dive in quality. Constant changes without any advance notification that have the members befuddled and quite frankly, outraged. It seems that it is on a downward spiral and that's a pity.

maximum12, zid and larryi86 like this.
  8. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,261) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Premium Trader

I used Untappd for a few years, but I stopped logging everything in March this year. I like the discussion and insight on here a lot more, and I feel WBAYDN and NBS are much more fun than Untappd. I also feel I can trust rating on here more, I get real details, I have people whose reviews I trust and there is more rating to style on here.

The only thing I still use Untappd for to follow tap list at a few local bars, bottle shops and breweries.

9. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Meyvn (1,336) Dec 29, 2013 Washington

I've found the idea of badges and check-ins to be pushing some to drink more and more often JUST to get the badge that day/week/month/brewery or whatever. Not healthy habit to encourage I think.

Not to say any drinking is inherently healthy of course.

10. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (781) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

It's not really a competition.

This site is for discussion. The app is for quick ratings/ searching local bars.

11. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (1,691) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Trader

You could also argue that people consume more here to earn that beer karma.

12. Gajo74

Gajo74 Poo-Bah (1,691) Sep 14, 2014 New York
    Trader

Agree with OP. BA is vastly superior to UT in so many ways; reviews, forums, knowledge, beer education etc. The one minor thing I’ve noticed, however, is that when I want to rate a lesser known beer, UT will often have it in the database before BA.

13. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (674) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I use UT to log all the beers I drink and add a comment to remind myself and let my one friend there see my thoughts on beers.

enjoy

14. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (3,403) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire

Untapped Hipsters........ We are in it for the true love of beer, not a fad. Also we are all about helping to spread this love and knowledge, they don’t spread the love like us.

15. zid

zid Savant (921) Feb 15, 2010 New York

Thanks for your insight. I was just being cheeky regarding connections to "big beer" ownership.

Lone_Freighter and Bitterbill like this.
  16. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,261) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Premium Trader

Very good insight, I see much more love and spreading of great beer here. I also feel people do friend collecting on Untappd, but here we are more of a community.

17. IronLover

IronLover Poo-Bah (1,644) Apr 17, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Although I use both, BA is far more informative and is without a doubt my "home" when it comes to beer info and ratings by informed and appreciative beer enjoyers.

UT is simpler and easier for sharing with friends. Agree with an earlier poster that it is a nice tool to check on local tap lists.

18. Jbuitron

Jbuitron Initiate (57) Sep 11, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

UT is much more user friendly as far as quick checks, but is more like the Instagram of beer. BA is more like Wikipedia.

19. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (2,471) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I tried Untappd for a few days. It seemed like beer Instagram only dumber. Plus it’s spelled incorrectly, so I bolted.

20. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Initiate (151) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Trader

For me untappd is way better for rating, seeing what a beer is exactly or where to get and if your friends have had it. Content community and info ba wins hands down

21. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (6,682) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Premium

I am a solid user and supporter of both, and they have their pros and cons.

For content it's BA by far and a place I spend far more time on for reviews, news, industry, member connections etc... There's far more here and the reviews are more concise and filled with better structure and meaning (for the most part).

Untappd excels at one thing in particular, and that's instant connectivity. It's best feature I have found is it's real time usage and "checking in" capabilities. I can see what other people are doing in real time, and that's actually useful when I am thinkin of going to a location to see what people or even my "friends" are consuming at a certain location. I don't find the reviews on them really worth anything cause they are obviously just a very quick scale rating with no context. It has gameification capabilities more so, and you can look at that as either a fun feature, or a detriment.

So that's my 2 cents.

22. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Meyvn (1,490) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Premium Trader

I use both because Untappd is easier for tracking and sorting beers. But I spend 90% of my time on BA and trust the reviews and ratings here much more than Untappd.

Go Blue.

23. ssimpson89

ssimpson89 Zealot (581) Jul 24, 2009 Illinois

Thanks all. I think I feel the same as most of you. While I don’t always trust the UT ratings, I do find them helpful on beers I’ve never seen before.

For example, I came across Bells Lampshade Party ale today and wasn’t sure if I should pull the trigger, especially at 15.99 a six pack. BA only had 22 reviews at 4.18, so I checked UT which had 1667 at 4.06. That’s a big sample size, so I felt more comfortable with the purchase.

24. EastHarris

EastHarris Initiate (43) Jan 9, 2012 Pennsylvania

As far as beer ratings go, there is no comparison. The Untapped app is far more user friendly and as a result, the ratings stay more current even down to a granular level such as a particular batch if that’s relevant. As an example, a local beer that I looked up on BA only had 5 ratings in 2018. There were that many Untapped reviews within the past 2 days. I used to read the lengthy reviews on BA but I have also noticed that those have declined since folks are getting more used to the Untapped format. Not to mention that I see more and more breweries and bars using Untapped as a platform to display their beer menu.

I still come here to read the forums which are hands down the best, but it’s hard to not think that BA missed the boat on this one.

25. Jimmy_Kneecaps

Jimmy_Kneecaps Initiate (80) Sep 19, 2017 Tennessee
    Trader

I agree by and large with the sentiments already expressed. UT is fun and useful for quick interaction. You snap a pic, give it a 4, maybe more or less, then you’re back to your beer and your people. BA reviews blow UT out of the water. The thoughtfulness and judgement to style are what I come for. NBS is a must for me every Sunday.

26. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,906) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

To me the strengths are completely different:

Beer Advocate: good, reliable, honest* ratings

Untappd: what's pouring now around the city

I use the former when making a decision at the store for what to buy and the latter to figure out where I should get a draft pour that weekend.

*still subject to hype and 'group think' around here.

27. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,906) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

When I want info on a beer to add to the system here, I'll often check Untappd. The large user base of Untappd seems to span more width than the one here, whereas I'm one of maybe two adding new beers from several local breweries.

28. dvmin98

dvmin98 Site Editor (2,729) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Two completely different entities. Untappd is a dick swing for beer drinkers. It also is a site to log every beer, variant by adjunct and variant by year. BA is more for talk, education, cellar inventory and logging what you've had from a specific brewery. BA wins out everytime.

29. ypsifly

ypsifly Meyvn (1,030) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

IMHO, UT has dumbed down the discourse in favor of fake status via shiny badges and the race to say "Ive tried more beer than you."

30. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,397) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

I use both for a better averaging factor. Untapped in my opinion has more members and they are spread out giving a better review than a region soaked review place. When I check a beer I look at both Ba and Untappd to get a real feel for the beer. Ba has the forums and loads of good conversations that Untappd just does not have and why I use both. Lastly the one thing I love about Untappd is local places and beer lists and where a beer is at. I can pull up a beer and see who locally is drinking it and check that place out and score some if available, that is pretty sweet when trying to find a beer you want.
    Cheers

tzieser, arizcards, larryi86 and 3 others like this.
  31. matthewp

matthewp Initiate (162) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts

They are two different beasts with two different purposes. Untappd is a social media app akin to Instagram, Snapchat, etc. whereas BA is a beer forum for discussing beer. They really are apples and oranges. Where they converge is obviously in rating beers. Untappd is far superior in its ease of rating beers, searching beers, menus, logging your beers, etc.. Both have their pluses and minuses with regards to the value of beer ratings. In general I'd say Untappd raters are not very reliable compared to BA, especially to people who write full reviews. Where Untappd is better is if you have a small group of very active friends you know how to trust their reviews. I know certain friends will rate certain styles and/or local beers higher than others. If they haven't tried the specific beer they have usually tried a different beer from the same brewer. So for the most part I'll use Untappd for checking out a beer because its easier to get trusted reviews on there.
    If BA comes back out with a useful mobile app that makes reviewing and searching easier then maybe I might change my mind. Realize though if BA is simpler it means that you are going to have more casual reviews than you have now as well as people perhaps using it to log what they've had more like Untappd.
    At its heart Untappd is a social app, its nice to know what my friends are drinking or where they are traveling. I'm not a huge social media type of guy, I'm in my late 40's but there are some social media apps that are actually fun and useful. Now if either of them start to emulate the other's features then we can have a which is better conversation but as of now its not a one or the other thing.

32. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Zealot (551) Dec 12, 2014 California

I like both. Here for discussion, Untappd for ratings and all the functionality it provides

mkh012 and matthewp like this.
  33. elohim

elohim Initiate (183) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

I don't use untappd although I tried it for a couple weeks before leaving. One thing I will say about untappd is I found at least 4 local beers that were listed on untappd and not listed on beeradvocate so they do seem to do a better job of keeping up with recent releases. I don't think untappd is bad I just prefer a discussion site that also does ratings rather than a pure social ratings site. I have no beef with untappd it just isn't to my personal tastes. They are two different sites with two different use cases although there is clearly some population overlap between the two. Use whichever you enjoy more or use both.

matthewp and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  34. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,167) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

BA is FAR superior for overall beer information, tracking and networking.

Untappd is FAR superior for photos and statistically significant number of ratings.

mkh012 and Lone_Freighter like this.
  35. JLK7299

JLK7299 Champion (885) Apr 21, 2016 Connecticut
    Premium Trader

I'm a BA guy primarily because of the top 250 list.
    Also I'm strangely obsessed with my karma.

36. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Initiate (37) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

I use Untappd to track the beer that I have tried and to check out local bars and brewery tap lists. I also use it for checking on what my friends are drinking and their thoughts on those beers and even use it as a way to see what my trading partners have or haven't tried and it helps me decide on extras to send them if I have something they haven't checked in yet. I also think they are more up to date on newer releases and have much more reviews per beer than BA. Not that those reviews are more helpful than BA, as BA has more in depth reviews but Untappd still is a larger gathering of opinions on a particular beer. I don't pay any attention to the stupid badges and I never accept a friend request from someone I don't know or trade with. I use BA strictly for the forums and to expand my knowledge of beer and the beer community. I dislike the entire trading experience of BA and instead use TheBeerExchange.io as it has the most up to date catalog of beer anywhere, new releases are posted same day if not a couple days early, extremely user friendly, no scrolling through page after page of ISO/FT posts and has a large community of traders from all over the world. They all have their usefulness, its just personal preference and what you want to get from each platform.

matthewp likes this.
  37. LeeMarvin

LeeMarvin Initiate (188) Jan 15, 2005 Massachusetts

Untappd helps me keep track of the beers I drink and what I thought of them. It socializes the beer drinking experience with my beer drinking buddies who can't be in the room.

But I really wish that BA had beat Untappd to the mobile app. BA was such a huge part of why I took my love of craft beer to the next level. Their Fests took me deep into beer geek society. If they'd come up with a mobile app that acted as a front end to this site, I'd get rid of Untappd.

38. beertunes

Trader

It's sometimes too easy to add beers on UT. I've repeatedly seen the same beer entered with different spellings (mis-spells, capitalization differences, punctuation differences, etc) and there's no real way to filter them out. That said, I find it to be a huge in the ass, personally, to add a beer on UT, especially from my phone. I hate doing it, and will just often wait until somebody else adds it, or not check it in.

mambossa, Mothergoose03 and Harrison8 like this.
  39. beertunes

Trader

The site here is formatted very well for phones. Just going to the main page here on the phone gives you the whole experience. But, I'm a cranky old guy who doesn't really use apps anyway (only about 5-6), and even then, if UT site worked well on the phone, I wouldn't use their app.

LeRose and Mothergoose03 like this.
  40. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Aspirant (297) Mar 29, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

As a beer advocater I agree. Though gotta say mobile use of this forum not so great

Daveshek28 likes this.