BeerAdvocate User Awards

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by BigIronH, Jan 8, 2022.

1. BigIronH

BigIronH Meyvn (1,111) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

I’ve been pondering this for a while. What if at the end of every year as sort of a recap and in honor and recognition of our most profound Advocates, there was an award ceremony of sorts?

Examples would be; Most Reviews, Most added Beers, Most added Photos, Best NBW Participation, Best Tasting Thread Participation, Most Thread Contribution, Most Completed Trades, etc.

I think this would be a fun exercise in recognizing the most distinguished contributors as well as provide a bit of fun for us during the year in regards to those of us who aspire to be top contributors in regards to one or all of the given categories, whatever we determine them to be.

One humble advocates thoughts, Cheers.

2. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (918) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Who keeps track and decides on these things?

Enjoy

REVZEB, TCgenny, beerluvr and 3 others like this.
  3. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,858) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

On first thought, I enjoy the idea, but let's not go after number of reviews. I think it could produce, or encourage, some junk reviewing.

4. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,267) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

We used to do an unofficial "BA of the Year" thread, where folks would give a shout-out to the BAs, they thought added the most to the site. Apparently no one has bothered to post one in a few years.

Sheppard, TCgenny, Rug and 18 others like this.
  5. Todd

Todd Founder (6,558) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

I'd be up to me to pull the data and post the results.

jzeilinger, lucius10, REVZEB and 18 others like this.
  6. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (918) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

If you are up to that then let’s toss out some more category ideas and get this going.

Enjoy

TCgenny, LarryV, SLeffler27 and 2 others like this.
  7. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (9,531) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

We used to have Thread of the year and unofficial BA member of the year.

8. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,050) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

In fairness to us, the last BA Of The Year was @jesskidden , and how do you follow that man? I mean, he should hold the title forever, far as I'm concerned (though he'd surely disagree).

thebeers, rousee, DefenCorps and 34 others like this.
  9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,286) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

The 'Thread Of The Year' Award used to be done, although I don't recall that there was ever a final decision and consensus winner. It was just fun to read back thru the nominations and be entertained. I don't think this has been done for a couple of years.

jzeilinger, TCgenny, Junior and 15 others like this.
  10. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (9,531) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Thinking of other past winners..Kzoobrew Utopiajane?

11. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

You are surely correct. Whatever the BA version of retiring a number is, JK deserves it.

DefenCorps, TCgenny, Junior and 14 others like this.
  12. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,858) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Are we saying the BA Member of the Year award is titled the @jesskidden award? I support that.

13. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,246) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

Sure, but he isn't retiring is he??

TCgenny, LarryV, Bitterbill and 2 others like this.
  14. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (4,132) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Houser, SABERG, lucius10 and 13 others like this.
  15. Ffenski

Ffenski Devotee (413) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

Sexiest? I like your posts but your printed text is just as 'sexy' as all the others :stuck_out_tongue:

TCgenny, Rug, LarryV and 3 others like this.
  16. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I hope not. Ya know the number 42 is retired all across MLB for Jackie Robinson? We need to figure out something for JK. He stands alone as a BA.

TCgenny, LarryV, Jaycase and 6 others like this.
  17. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

There's a reason I don't post my actual picture as my avatar. I'm the sexiest man on the planet.

TCgenny, Rug, LarryV and 6 others like this.
  18. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (4,132) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Me and @superspak walking into the club like:
    [​IMG]

Houser, maximum12, TCgenny and 14 others like this.
  19. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Devotee (418) Aug 24, 2020 California

well, that IS better than Donkey and Shrek that I expected to see. :-)

20. Resistance88

Resistance88 Aspirant (225) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

I , not so humbly, accept all your nominations @BigIronH and friends.

TCgenny, LarryV, GOBLIN and 4 others like this.
  21. BigIronH

Society Trader

I figured all the metrics would be available on your end, it would be gracious of you to do the necessary work if we decided to dive into this.
    I wasn’t really thinking an overall winner or “BA of the year” because more than likely, the categories I listed and/or any others we come up with wouldn’t be able to be done by one single person, I was thinking more like recognition for single categories regarding contributions to the site. Top Forum Contributor could be one, in which case someone like JK would certainly be a contender.

If we were to have a “BA of the year”, in my opinion this would have to be someone who posted most in the forums, submitted the most edits, submitted the most photos, added the most new beers, submitted the most reviews, etc. I don’t think this “Super” BA exists. We all have areas where our contributions are most valuable and this yearly thread would be about recognizing those particular areas for each user who wishes to contribute.

Cheers.

22. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,916) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I think I win the « Kindest Moderator on BA » award in my sleep.

Thanks.

23. BigIronH

Society Trader

I would say I agree but going by the honor system, I don’t think anyone who is on this site to actually contribute is going to toss out a bunch of junk reviews just to get a virtual award.

beerjerk666, TCgenny, Rug and 9 others like this.
  24. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,100) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

I nominate my dog, Emma - aka "BeerVikingSailorPup" as the cutest doggo on BA (but I may be just a little biased) Haha.....

[​IMG]

25. DIM

Society

Yes but wasn't that done posthumously??

I think status beyond Poo-Bah would be a nice gesture.

TCgenny, Rug, LarryV and 5 others like this.
  26. BigIronH

Society Trader

That would be cool also. The hard part would be determining the “point” threshold and the title.

27. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (4,237) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

There used to be a list of top reviewers by month on the home page. I believe it showed the name and avatar and reviews for the month.
    If this were to only count reviews and not ratings, that would help reduce junk reviewing.
    I also think that getting a cyber award may not be enough to drive junk reviews but may motivate users to add more quality reviews and would recognize users who review a ton of beers, but arent as active on the forums.
    I generally like the idea of BA awards. Will watch to see where this goes.

Rug, LarryV, Resistance88 and 5 others like this.
  28. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,948) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I nominate @scream

o29, riptorn, TCgenny and 10 others like this.
  29. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,050) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

And then we have the most important human beer resource on the planet, kindly giving us info, history, humor, market overview, retail insight, straight talk inside brewing realities, and insightful wisdom about all other things beer as well. He is a man who could have taken the beer historian job at Smithsonian, and continues to keep us informed, enlightened, and interested here on BA. So yeah, we all have our areas of supposed "expertise", but...?

30. BillAfromSoCal

BillAfromSoCal Devotee (418) Aug 24, 2020 California

I like the idea of some form of acknowledgement for the major contributors to the success of this site and our enjoyment of using it. I have been involved in enough volunteer organizations for long enough to know that one of the secrets to motivating more involvement is recognition. I know the BA Karma points are a form of that but the criteria for those is so cryptic and inconsistent that some other form of recognition for the very top contributors, especially if it is largely based on peer input, is a good idea. Heck , just reading some of the nominations above has been a fun exercise.

31. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

I think @DIM means a title just for JK. One that is apart from the the regular status titles, and the means to acquire them. JK doesn't review, and doesn't post a lot, but when he does, it's quality stuff. His contributions to our collective knowledge is immeasurable. Quality, not quantity.

Which is why presenting an award based strictly on the number of posts/reviews/likes etc is a bad idea. It would reward garbage posting (which a lot of us, myself included, are guilty of, to various degrees). See the current Ass Eating thread for examples.

32. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Do you use Untappd? Have you seen the things folks will do for a Cyber badge for their Cyber sash?

33. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

Yes. And far too late. It was driven by Mariner great Ken Griffey Jr, who asked for permission to wear 42 on Jackie Robinson Day (April 15, the date he made his debut), and was retired a few years later. It's a thing baseball should have done much sooner, but the baseball establishment moves slower than a glacier.

CB_Michigan, DoIa, LarryV and 6 others like this.
  34. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (5,593) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

The baseball establishment apparently just hates baseball and wants to ruin the sport any way it can.

35. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (2,716) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

How about an award for most consistently snarcastic? The moderators could accept nominations, then make selections for vote by the community.

This is half serious. We could have some fun along with some serious recognition. We already have rankings based on metrics. Why not have an annual celebration for quality of content? As several have already noted, there is a risk of incentivizing quantity in place of quality.

TCgenny, LarryV, Resistance88 and 2 others like this.
  36. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (2,716) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

Ya know... recognition of the Moderators is a GREAT idea. They certainly have earned more than a badge.

We could even do a head-to-head competition, a moderate-off, if you will. Ok, this just got weird.

37. BigIronH

Society Trader

I definitely agree he is an esteemed member and definitely worthy of recognition. I’m not arguing that point a bit. I’m sure if we went ahead with these awards, he would win several.

TCgenny, SLeffler27, LarryV and 3 others like this.
  38. BigIronH

Society Trader

Agreed. I just think that other Poo Bah’s have immeasurable contributions in the form of reviews and commentary as well. Not saying anyone is = to or > than one person or another.

Rug, LarryV, Resistance88 and 3 others like this.
  39. DIM

Society

This is what I meant, yes. Double barrel-aged Poo-Bah? Or maybe better yet, Imperial Poo-Bah?

You and @FBarber are spot on about my beloved baseball.

40. BBThunderbolt

Society Trader

That's good.

A couple years ago there was talk of making more titles (in fact, on the Beer Karma page it even says "more titles will be scribed over time", and that was from a 2014 post), and I was thinking along the lines of olympic medals with, after Poobah, Bronze Poobah, Silver Poobah, Gold Poobah, and the extremely rare Platinum Poobah.

I love the idea of of Imperial Poobah being assigned, not accumulated by points. I don't think there could ever be more than a couple, 5 at the very most, Imperial Poobahs. And, off the top of my head, I can't think of anybody other than JK I'd assign it to.

LarryV, Jaycase, DIM and 3 others like this.