Beers and Baskets: Breweries Connect with Disc Golfers

Discussion in 'Article Comments' started by BeerAdvocate, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate Founders (16,536) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

There are over 6,000 disc golf courses scattered across the US today, an enormous number for a niche activity. Craft brewing has seen a similar explosion, so it should come as no surprise that there has been a convergence of these two interests.

Read the full article: Beers and Baskets: Breweries Connect with Disc Golfers

HxllyWxxxd and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  2. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (3,550) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Nice article! Haven't played disc gold regularly since I had kids, but I would love to pick it up again. Gonna need an IL brewery to open a DG course attached to the brewery - Id be so down with that.

Also, major props for not using the term "frolf" :nauseated_face:

MFly, Harrison8 and Keene like this.
  3. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,373) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I'm in favor of any game that promotes craft beer.

SFACRKnight and riptorn like this.
  4. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,441) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Nice article. My son is addicted to this sport - plays year 'round at various places. One favorite is Rapscallion in Sturbudge, MA - brewery, farm, disc golf. Smuttynose also made an attempt with a 9 hole course on a corner of the property - probably could have designed a better course, but visitors still play it for fun. I'm sure there are others in New England and some breweries are involved at the sponsorship level.

Side benefit - some of the amateur and pro-am tournaments he plays give out beer as prizes. He won some Hill Farmstead growlers a couple of years ago that I would otherwise have not tried.

Let me tell ya...it ain't your Wham-o 1960's Frisbee. It is freakin' HARD. There's not only the dynamics of the game and throwing/walking/maintaining concentration, the different weightings on the discs do different things so there's some next level physics shit going on. SInce trying to play regular golf, I've more or less felt it is a good way to fuck up a perfectly nice walk. I kinda think the same about this except the walking is harder. Plus I am super-competitive and don't want much patience for learning curves. He's tried to teach me how to throw a disc and I can get them to go about ten feet and he can throw a couple hundred yards and hit what he's aiming for. There's a practice basket in my backyard - I can hit maybe 2/10 from 5 feet away and he's tossing discs in at a 60-ish percent rate from 30 - 40 feet. Same adage applies, though - drive for show, putt for dough. He can throw that long way pretty accurately all day long, but sometimes struggles with the short game!

5. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (550) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

It's a great combination to have good beer, and to wander around in nature attempting to bang chains. I picked it up through some friends I worked with, and knew through the industry when I was working in it about 3 years ago.
    Hopefully this year with a few of the bigger courses in the area such as Dellwood, some brewery sponsorship is on the horizon for some of their events. Which also hopefully means, finally, that some breweries such as Pollyanna, Metropolitan, Open Outcry, Oak Park Brewing, and maybe Werkforce print up some discs as I know they all have staff that throw.

FBarber likes this.
  6. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,998) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

McMenamins in the Pacific Northwest has a series of beer-themed lodges, at least some of which offer free frisbee golf with your stay. I find their food and beer to be of somewhat varied quality, but love their use of historic buildings and their ability to create a very old-school, hippyish craft ambiance. Stayed at the Grand Lodge once and thoroughly enjoyed myself:
    https://www.mcmenamins.com/grand-lodge

sharpski, Keene and TongoRad like this.
  7. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (550) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Rather surprised the article makes no mention of Nate Doss, and Valerie Jenkins who are both multiple time disc golf World Champions, and their soon to open Bevel Craft brewing.
    You can't get a much tighter connection than their decision to step back from touring, and competing than that.

8. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Champion (866) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

We are fortunate here in NE Ohio to have a lot of great courses close by - my "home course" is Portage Lakes Disc Golf course - an awesome 18 hole course with lots of trees and water....love it! Looking forward to some spring disc tossing!

RUinOhio, MostlyNorwegian and FBarber like this.
  9. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (11,839) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

I have a crew I disc golf with on a regular basis. We have a texting chain/thread that we've named "Discs & Beer". For the last 2 summers, we've taken one day disc & beer trips to Kansas City and St. Louis. Last year we played 81 holes at 5 courses and hit three breweries/bars.

Harrison8 and FBarber like this.
  10. Keene

Keene Defender (664) Sep 11, 2009 Washington

Thanks for the tip. We weren't aware of Bevel Craft when we were putting this story together last year. It looks like they're preparing for an April opening.

MostlyNorwegian and FBarber like this.
  11. riptorn

riptorn Disciple (371) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I can see disc golf as a good fit for walking around with a beer.

Dang, that's sad, man....and I'm talkin' uber sad. I bet it'd be more fun for you if the wager was to quaff a brew for each hole you lost, and even quicker fun if you pressed the bet on a hole or two..

LeRose likes this.
  12. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,095) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I see this around but never played, but I am all for it. Anytime you can put beer and fun together I am all in.

zeff80 likes this.
  13. maogrodn

maogrodn Initiate (31) Apr 7, 2015 Massachusetts

I got married at Rapscallion (Hyland Orchard is a wedding venue also). I was able to get a game in the day before the wedding. It's a great place. I second that the short game is not easy!

MostlyNorwegian, TrojanRB and LeRose like this.
  14. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (99) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

I always enjoy disc golfing, and beer truly is the perfect pairing. Honestly I don't believe I've ever gone without some craft brews in hand. What's not to love about the sport? It gets you out into nature, hanging with friends, meeting new people, no pressure competition, sharing some good brews, maybe a blunt if your into that kind of thing. It truly is always a fun and relaxing experience, (unless of course you lose a really nice disk...)

15. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,095) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Well said... :beers::beers:

Alefflicted likes this.
  16. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,451) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Based off the trash that litters every disc golf course I've played at, disc golfers appear to be potheads first, and craft beer fans second. I have a course a block away from my house, and another, more difficult, course 5 minutes away. I've never needed an excuse to drink beer, so I usually save it for after the course. The difficult course is based in the Colorado foothills and boasts an almost 1000ft elevation change throughout the course. Take that mixed with the blazing heat of summer and water is the obvious choice.

17. readyski

readyski Aspirant (272) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Played the Mt Bachelor course in OR.
    Highly recommended for scenery, challenge and occasional solitude.

MostlyNorwegian likes this.
  18. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (148) Jun 21, 2014 Oregon

These two are members of my homebrew club. Super nice people and excellent brewers.

sharpski and MostlyNorwegian like this.
  19. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (636) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

The rise of disk golf popularity parallels the rise in ultimate frisbee, and disk golf players and ultimate players have a lot of overlap. I would presume, and in my experience, they share beer drinking preferences for craft beer, except with ultimate you usually wait to drink until after the game.

20. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (582) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

Smuttynose has a disc golf course, which I didn't notice at first except for almost running over a few guys crossing the driveway last time we visited the brewery's restaurant!
    https://smuttynose.com/brewery/visit-us/disc-golf/

Looks like with the restrictive NH liquor laws you can't take a beer with you around the course. Although I have seen this restriction at many regular golf courses and all I have to say is a thermos is your friend!

FBarber likes this.
  21. HxllyWxxxd

HxllyWxxxd Initiate (43) May 4, 2019 West Virginia

I was very excited to see this. Very cool. I'd also like to begin some venture into gold as it were and the availability of good brews at particular courses. I'd love input of others and maybe colab something. My local course offers beers from a cart. We could rate courses and their brews.
    Open to suggestion.

22. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,441) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

My son puts a gallon water jug in his bag and sometimes it isn't enough. They do have a beer occasionally after matches.

Sorry to hear about litter and trash on courses. Ed and the guys he plays with are pretty meticulous about the whole thing. His team helps maintain their home course, and the people he plays with don't fool around when it comes to appreciating and respecting the land they play on, some of it private farms and some public state parks. But like anything else, there are those who don't, sad to say.

SFACRKnight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.