Beers in disguise

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by beaulabauve, Aug 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beaulabauve

beaulabauve (0) Aug 5, 2011 Louisiana

what is everyones opinion on beers that are labeled by the brewer as a style that they really aren't? Examples such as Rogue's octoberfest come to mind. The beer is clearly an ale. It's a good beer, but the OCD in me wants to "penalize" them on reviews.

Premo88 likes this.
  2. dennis3951

dennis3951 (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Is there some rule/law that an Octoberfest can't be an Ale?

JrGtr, alucard6679, TongoRad and 2 others like this.
  3. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat (0) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

Maybe in Germany. You've seen what we've done to the IPA here in America.

4. jesskidden

jesskidden (884) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

:grin: It's about time someone resurrected one of America's* lost beer styles, (Brown) October Ale. So all the top-fermentationaphiles have something to drink during the fall (you know, a real beer, not a "tastes just like pumpkin pie" bastardization).

Appears to have come back after Repeal, but died out by the 1950s.
    [​IMG]

* Borrowed from the Brits, IIRC...but likely different than the originals by the 20th century.

5. deleted_user_1007501

deleted_user_1007501 (0) Jun 30, 2015

MadTree Brewing makes a “Kolsch” called Dream Freeze. And it just tastes like a popsicle. Oh and it’s like 7.5%. So...what about that makes it a Kolsch? Been scratching my head this whole time.

KevSal, GOBLIN, Premo88 and 6 others like this.
  6. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan (0) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Porters that are Stouts and vice versa were always a sore spot for me.

Sabtos, pat61, Sludgeman and 4 others like this.
  7. rgordon

rgordon (695) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Uh, oh. Let's parce this out. It is fun and inevitable, but we'll never get to the end of classifying and categorizing beers into tighter quarters of definition. It's all OK with me, but I don't really have a deep need to know exactly where all of these new beers have to fit exactly.

surfcaster, Squire and dennis3951 like this.
  8. TongoRad

TongoRad (1,196) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Or even a hefeweizen? :wink::sunglasses:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/703/11485/

(this actually came up in another discussion here on BA).

If we're talking some kind of rule or law, in Germany only beers brewed in Munich can be called Oktoberfest. But there are also festbiers and marzens which are primarily defined by gravity, not by style.

9. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled (1,950) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I agree, but this is at least questionable. What really is a porter? What really is a stout? They're both just marketing terms in the end. But yeah, I agree.

10. drtth

drtth (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

What if they are all porters, but some are stout (as in strong beer) porters?

Coronaeus, Amendm, cavedave and 8 others like this.
  11. rtrasr

rtrasr (0) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

stout porter.

Amendm, bbtkd and alucard6679 like this.
  12. Beer_Stan

Trader

I have always found on average that Porters were a bit on the thinner side, drier and had less residual sugar. Even the lightest ABV stouts seemed heavier in texture to me so I always pegged that as an element of difference. I know that it's been said that (maybe) theres no real stylistic difference between them, so I admit it could be psychosomatic but since thats where I stand with them I hate drinking thin dry stouts and heavy sweet porters lol

13. rtrasr

rtrasr (0) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

Did not Goose Island used to have a fall release of something similar called Harvest Ale? It was tasty. You are definitely on to something.

ovaltine and Noah_Aimar like this.
  14. drtth

Well, according to our colleagues familiar with the history of brewing in the UK, porter got it's start there and lots of breweries produced them. Then when they produced a stronger verson than their regular one it was called a Stout Porter (which eventually got shortened to Stout). Makes sense would also help account for the fact that a Stout from a particular brewery might be similar in flavor profile to someone else's Porter. Thus the overlap and fuzzy boundaries between Porters and Stouts.

Note: BTW I think the word you may want is "psychological." "Psychosomatic" has to do with mental illness.

#14 drtth, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Roguer, cavedave, officerbill and 4 others like this.
  15. eppCOS

eppCOS (1,099) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Wait, is this another Dogfishhead thread?
    I kid I kid... sort of.
    But yeah, locally (at least) we get a lot of advert for try our crispy Pils! And then it's not a Pils, more like a failed pale ale. Which would be a great name, by the way. Go ahead, no trademark claimed.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  16. dennis3951

They may have used Kolcsh yeast.

Noah_Aimar and beaulabauve like this.
  17. drtth

Might have even used the basic recipe to add to/build on/modify, etc.

dennis3951 likes this.
  18. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast (0) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Dogfish Head - The Perfect Disguise

GuyFawkes and eppCOS like this.
  19. Beer_Stan

Trader

I meant it in the same way that a placebo is psychosomatic in it's use, that the belief that it is one thing becoming more important than the thing itself. The idea that seeing the word "Porter" informs my bias and therefore it tastes different (for better or for worse) than if the same bottle said "Stout"

Ozzylizard likes this.
  20. drtth

I do understand what you meant, but trust me on this one, a placebo does/can have a psychological effect (much as you describe). However, Psychosomatic describes a mental illness that can have physical symptoms. (Unless of course you are self-identifying as being mentally ill....:slight_smile:)

See link.

#20 drtth, Aug 25, 2019
  21. jesskidden

jesskidden (884) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

And don't forget - porters and stouts are ales in the US, but not in the UK.

And some porters are bottom-fermented - in both the US and the Baltic region.

:grin:

22. deleted_user_1007501

I mean I can have a malt bill of a stout and condition with cinnamon and vanilla, but if I ferment it with a Kolsch yeast does that make it a Kolsch? Probbbbbbably not.

Roguer and officerbill like this.
  23. deleted_user_1007501

I understand I’m thinking very technically of the “Kolsch” term. And how easily it’s thrown around in US craft beer.

To me, a Kolsch-style ale should have no “modification” or any need to have anything “built on it”. If you want to call it a Kolsch-style, it should at least resemble that of Kolsch beer made in Koln.

That being said, Dogfish The Perfect Disguise used a Kolsch yeast, but in no way was it anything resembling a Kolsch style ale. Therefore it shouldn’t be called a Kolsch.

I know I’m splitting hairs, and I’m super open to all beer, but having these beers labeled as “Kolsch” is doing a huge disservice by misinforming everyone on what the style actually is.

24. drtth

Understood. There are purists and there are experimenters for each style. That's fine from my perspective since I don't think new things emerge unless folks who know what they are doing try new things based on old stuff and while keeping what works and discarding those that don't. Personally I like to know the origins of ideas and it shouldn't be misleading if the Brewer also indicates there are other things going on.

Dogfish Head, for example, is famous, in part, for their sense of experimentation which is not random or just throwing things against the wall... From an historcal perspective many of the styles we enjoy today originated for much the same reasons...

Cheers!

#24 drtth, Aug 25, 2019
    dennis3951 likes this.
  25. nc41

nc41 (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Stout? Porter? You know the difference when you drink one, even if the verbiage is similar there’s usually a huge difference when you drink one. Usually not always, depends on many factors bigger abvs right off the top.

26. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard (1,518) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

To me, porter and stout are just different places on the spectrum. Stouts = more robust porters.

Junior, SFACRKnight and drtth like this.
  27. craigbelly

craigbelly (994) Dec 31, 2015 Iowa
    Society Trader

Porter..stout..octoberfest...these are not verbs

28. TongoRad

TongoRad (1,196) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Not if someplace had an Irish Dry Stout and a Baltic Porter as part of their lineup.

29. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics (0) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

From what I understand, many London breweries in the 19th and 20th centuries used the exact same recipe for porter and Stout, the only difference being the amount of water used: more water = lower ABV. So maybe they are different in the same way an IPA and an imperial IPA are, but the line between them is definitely fuzzy.

Junior and drtth like this.
  30. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz (754) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Are you talking about Dead Guy? It is more of a Maibock. John Maier, retired Brewer at Rogue, said it was first brewed using lager yeast. The next year they didn't have/order lager yeast, and it sold just as well. They then kept using the house ale yeast.

31. beaulabauve

beaulabauve (0) Aug 5, 2011 Louisiana

You're right about that. I meant saint arnold oktoberfest, but dead guy is another example

32. dennis3951

That's what Twin Elephant did a few weeks ago when they did a colab with a local meadery. They called it a Honey Lemon Kolcsh. It did not taste remotely like a Kolcsh.

Bitterbill and drtth like this.
  33. hottenot

hottenot (0) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Kind of like Miller Lite being called a Pilsner. Without any hop presence. The Nerve!

34. keithmurray

keithmurray (815) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

Breweries trying to pass of pale ales as “pilsners”. Really burns me.

35. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt (1,930) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Breweries labelling IPAs as Pale Ales.

36. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber (0) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Deactivated

Isn't "robust porter" its own category?

Bitterbill likes this.
  37. Imbiber

Imbiber (0) Oct 20, 2003 New York

Yes, as an Oktoberfest is a lager.

beaulabauve likes this.
  38. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson (1,073) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Any time a beer is just labeled sine old world lager style but is in fact full of new age hop flavor it's annoying. Just tell me what the beer is so I can go into it with realistic expectations

39. taalhiker

taalhiker (0) Aug 26, 2008 Ohio
    Trader

I believe it's just a supersized version of their Dreamsicle kolsch.
    https://www.madtreebrewing.com/beers/dreamsicle

40. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt (1,930) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.