Beers proven with age, let's talk...

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by RBassSFHOPit2ME, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcamparone

gcamparone Poo-Bah (1,997) Dec 6, 2011 Rhode Island
    Society

Did a side by side 2005 world wide stout next to a 2014 and the 2005 came out ahead

2. kdg119

kdg119 Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2015 Indiana

I was fortunate to try both a 2003 and 2004 a few months ago. Both were amazing!

3. IckyT2012

IckyT2012 Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2014 Florida

I recently had a 6-pack of Belgian ales including Gulden Draak and Piraat aged 4+ years. I was able to do a vertical tasting alongside fresh bottles. The Piraat was amazing after 4 years, but hands down the Gulden Draak was the best. Almost all of the carbonation was gone, but the beer tasted like raisins and honey. I definitely buying more to age after that tasting.

4. alexrufio666

alexrufio666 Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2014 Illinois

Any thoughts on Avery uncle Jacob's stout? I got two today one for immediate (since I've never tried it) and one for aging, what's the sweet spot on this one timewise? And is it worth trying fresh?

5. mattosgood

mattosgood Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2014 Massachusetts

About a month ago, I split one fresh between three of us. It was almost unfinishable, even for three people who like bourbon. Really hot, really boozy. Tough to get down. If it wasn't so damn expensive, I'd buy another one and give it at least two years. I mean, I'd be in no rush to drink it.

6. Yargamo

Yargamo Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2015 New York

Just had a 2012 Victory Old Horizontal that was blissful.

7. srgehl

srgehl Initiate (101) Oct 22, 2014 New Jersey

Jack's Abby Vanillia Framinghamer with 8-12 months becomes unbelievable

8. MarkF150

MarkF150 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts

This past years Vanilla Framinghammer I agree. The massive barrel character mellowed out some and let the vanilla come through. The first year it was perfect right from the get go, aged 6+ months the Vanilla became non-existant.

9. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,721) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Society Trader

3 year-old Rayon Vert. Insanely good.

10. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

I was too lazy to read through the entire thread to here, but I think Ten Fidy and Founders Imperial Stout deserve a mention. I haven't found the point at which they decline yet.

11. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,893) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

Brandy and Bourbon Old Stock. This is very stable beer and will go 6 to 10 years in the cellar.

Any gueuze and unblended lambic. Both styles can age 10 to 30 years!

Mother of all Storms this hits the sweet spot at 2 years old.

Expedition Stout. It is the best non barrel aged cellar stout out there.

Old Stock ale. Isn't any good unless it is 5 years old.

Abyss. 2-4 years make this stout delicous

Founders RIS. 3 years it has a sweet spot.

Most american barleywines. They are awesome when the hops fade away and the malt profile takes over.

mlockman and Hesscabob like this.
  12. tmrmwel

tmrmwel Initiate (87) Oct 14, 2008 Norway

Just happen to have one in my cellar :slight_smile:

Recently did a vertical with a 2009 and a 2013 Lost Abbey Gift of the Magi, with the six year old as the winner with a more mellowed out and balanced feel!

13. ShanePB

ShanePB Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Probably a nice spot for that beer. I had a 2010 the other month and it was getting pretty oxidized.

14. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

I had an Adam that was under 1 year old and I've had a bottle from batch 3 (1995 bottle). The 95 was sublime.

I've also had fresh 120 Minute and a 6 year old bottle and the 6 year old bottle completely blew the fresh draft away.

15. OGFGabv

OGFGabv Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2015 West Virginia

Recently drank a DFH Bitches Brew I bought and cellared back in 2011. It was fantastic!

16. Jackofallbrews

Jackofallbrews Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2013 Minnesota

matedog likes this.
  17. JasonR1975

JasonR1975 Zealot (561) Jun 11, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Jackofallbrews likes this.
  18. Hesscabob

Hesscabob Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2014 Illinois

2011 Dark Lord was remarkable, while the fresh bottle was way too aggressive... for now

19. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,350) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

For my tastes, I've really enjoyed Double Bastard, Peche Mortel, Bourbon Barrel GBS and Bell's Expedition. Still working my way through a lot of others and I've bound to have missed a few hits as well..

20. Kanger

Kanger Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2013 New York

I've had 3, 5, 7, and 8 year aged versions.

I think it ages well young, falls off a bit middle aged, then comes back very complex when older.

OneArmedBoxer likes this.
  21. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2006 Minnesota

Firestone Walker anniversary beers age very well. Some of the best barrel aged beers I have ever laid my lips upon.

Sammy and bostonwolf like this.
  22. zappoman

zappoman Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2014 Illinois

Old Stock!

Founders Curmudgeon becomes predominantly dark chocolate + caramel. The oak is still there to hang out without stealing the show.

Third Coast Old Ale

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  23. N17shelfside

N17shelfside Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2013 California

I buy cases of Orval, Old Guardian and Damnation every year or two just for building good long term beers. I like all of them after 3 year. Old Guardian can go a lot further. Got a case of Palo Santo Marron a year ago that has been interesting to drink over the past while. Still has many legs after a year to keep going for awhile.

24. bevoduz

bevoduz Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2007 Illinois

Curmudgeon with a couple years on it is amazing. I usually buy a couple 4 packs every year just to build a pipeline.

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  25. Dizbro21

Dizbro21 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2010 Connecticut

Treog's Mad Elf

26. archiebunkerjr

archiebunkerjr Aspirant (210) Oct 25, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

I do the exact same thing. Curmudgeon is by far Founders most unappreciated beer. To be honest, maybe there is good reason. I really don't like this beer fresh. The oak is a bit too prominent when fresh. But the caramel notes come on strong after a year. It's night and day between fresh and with a year of age.

I've got bottles going back three years. I want to wait two more years and do a five year flight with Curmudgeon. It sucks being disciplined knowing those beers are outstanding right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.