Beers that blew you away?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Donaldearl, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donaldearl

Donaldearl Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2016 Indiana

Has anyone, unexpectedly been blown away by any beer? I just recently had an experience that did. A few of my friends and I were doing beer tastings and Perrin "No Rules" stole the show. Look at my review of this to get the story. I'm anxious to hear other beers not expected to be as good as they were........

2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,958) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Madtree Lift (Kölsch)
    Schell Cave-Aged Barrel-Aged No. 3 (Munich Dunkel Lager)
    SA Pompkin Batch (Saison)

ovaltine and Donaldearl like this.
  3. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,224) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

I've had a few recently...

I was blown away by Stone's Mocha IPA. It sounded awful so I bought a single. Had to go back for 2 more 6 packs. Very surprised.

Lagunitas Born Yesterday was another shocker. Lagunitas makes pretty solid beer but this was other level stuff from them. Fantastic beer, pleasant surprise.

Another one that really blew me away was Grimm's Sumi Ink. I love almost all their beer, but this was one of the best beers I've had in a long time.

4. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,199) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Lately it has been Brotheron Brewing and Tonewood Brewing. Both have both been doing amazing things for the South Jersey beer scene.

Mcooly, TongoRad and Donaldearl like this.
  5. Donaldearl

Love that Stone too!

JakerLou likes this.
  6. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I was blown away by Ommegang's Rosetta. It had such a perfect sweetness, sourness, and smoothness that it was all I could do not to guzzle the whole bottle down.

I'm aware there are probably better examples of that style out there, but I don't usually play in Belgian waters that much (especially the pricey sour waters).

DonObiWan, kell50, DerelictPI and 3 others like this.
  7. skleice

skleice Aspirant (299) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Most recently - Singlecut Heavy Boots of Lead on cask with white coffee and vanilla beans....incredible.

SammyJaxxxx and dcotom like this.
  8. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,797) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Just yesterday evening: Prairie Coffee Okie. World-class beer, delicious.

9. StoopidFuture

StoopidFuture Initiate (0) Nov 20, 2012 Louisiana

recently had the Grimm Present Perfect berliner weisse... very surprising layers of funk and tartness, a top notch sour.

JakerLou and Donaldearl like this.
  10. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,340) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

• Summit Unchained #23- Dark Infusion. Wow, better than FBS!
    • Lindemans Framboise. Raspberry Lambic, incredible!
    • BA Fidy. Really want to try the Rum BA Fidy too.
    • Prairie Pirate BOMB. Incredible rum Stout.

ovaltine likes this.
  11. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,701) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Beers that were better than expected recently. Hmm, I'll have to go with Dogfish Head Beer for Breakfast :slight_smile:

VABA, mtgwi, LeftHanded666 and 3 others like this.
  12. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,036) Aug 16, 2009 North Carolina

when i just started getting into craft beer i tried a ton of pilsners/lagers/wheat beers. i eventually tried Stone IPA and was overwhelmed by how bitter it was, i hated it. Yet for some reason i kept trying IPAs thinking i could find one i like. now i love stone ipa but it blew my mouth apart the first time

after that, Troegs Nugget Nectar and Stone Enjoy By blew open the doors for hoppy beers in my life

this past summer i visited a friend in Minneapolis and was blown away by cans of PseudoSue and Todd the Axe Man. in NJ those are pipe dream beers, in Minneapolis it's "go to the store and grab as much as you can afford" beers. they both come in 4packs for about $11. first night there we got wasted on Todd the AxeMan and PsuedoSue while playing Mario Kart 64, so amazing. i was blown away by the quality of the beer and how easy it is to get

13. BeerzMcKenzie

BeerzMcKenzie Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2011 Ohio

Its not a beer, but Schramms Black Agnes was one of the best things I have ever drank. Beer wise, TH Double Watermelon Milkshake comes to mind. I have never enjoyed anything so fresh, fruity and full of flavor. Epic Baptista also comes to mind, amazing stout!

archiebunkerjr likes this.
  14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,561) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

The last beer that blew me away was the 2016 version of Lagunitas Born Yesterday. I have had past year's versions and I enjoyed them but this latest batch was head and shoulders above them. This beer was AWESOME!!!!

Cheers!

15. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I'm either jaded or lost my palate, but I'm getting harder to impress. There's plenty of good stuff out there, but nothing that wows me. I think it's why I'm turning back to more Pils and Lagers. Uncomplicated is good.

LuskusDelph and DLang713 like this.
  16. scream

scream Meyvn (1,363) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

I'd go w Lagunita's Waldo's Special Ale. Born Yesterday a close 2nd.

17. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,561) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Have you had the Lagunitas High-Westified Imperial Coffee Stout yet?

Cheers!

mtgwi, MistaRyte, MFMB and 4 others like this.
  18. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (4,355) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Tropical Torpedo.

VABA likes this.
  19. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Initiate (0) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts

Trillium PM Dawn, Prairie Pirate Noir and Epic Big Bad Baptista all blew me away recently.

Edit: Also Exhibit 'A' Brewing Demo Tape 10, an amazing rye IPA

Invinciblejets likes this.
  20. azurel

azurel Initiate (0) May 27, 2016 Michigan

The past few beers that blew me away were:
    Lagunitas Born yesterday( top 5 beer)
    Tree House Julius- (the hype is real)
    Blackrocks Starman pale ale
    Prairie ales Funky golden mosaic

21. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (504) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

That's such a great part of traveling out of your region beer wise. Not so much the "big boys" that you may come across but the stuff the people who live there probably take for granted a bit. I visited a friend in Illinois a couple years back and had a big grin on my face buying 6 packs of Deschutes Fresh Squeezed at the damn grocery store for $8 all week.

22. scream

scream Meyvn (1,363) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

It never came here to Central Wisconsin. I was on the lookout. Local store said that the distributor told her they were not getting any. Maybe next year !

23. yuenglingfan101

yuenglingfan101 Crusader (731) Jul 7, 2010 Ohio

24. SoCal_Matt

SoCal_Matt Disciple (339) Jul 13, 2014 California
    Trader

Most recent would Amalgamator by Beachwood. It was just amazing. Definitely the best "West Coast" IPA in my mind now going forward.

25. Donaldearl

No offense but I would expect extraordinary for that one. If it exceeded those expectations, Damn!!

May get a chance to try one tonight, :slight_smile:

26. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,958) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Pumpkin
    #FatFingerTypist #TinyPhoneKeyboard

27. Druid_51

Druid_51 Initiate (142) Aug 11, 2013 Kentucky

Prairie Ales Vanilla Noir....only had one but this beer opened my eyes to BA stouts....

benzodrums likes this.
  28. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

Stone's Citracado
    Lagunitas Hi-Westfield
    3 Monts

estans2 and Shanex like this.
  29. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,036) Aug 16, 2009 North Carolina

i agree, they had Fresh Squeezed and Surly Furious on draft EVERYWHERE in Minneapolis, including the airport golf bar. beer that is unavailable in my home state is sooooo easy to get there it was amazing to experience

meefmoff likes this.
  30. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,099) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Ever?
    First Sierra Nevada Pale ale in Dead lot some years ago
    First Pliny from one of my first trades
    First Heady at the pub
    Recently?
    Make Believe by Hudson Valley Brewery last month. Expected good but just blew me away.

LuskusDelph, TongoRad and IDABEERGUY like this.
  31. Sak3

Sak3 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2016 Connecticut
    Deactivated

32. CCBone

CCBone Initiate (90) Apr 29, 2016 Oregon

Based upon the OPs approach, I will stick with beers that I didn't expect to be as good as they were, rather than beers that just plain blew me away the first time I had them (but were hyped, expected to be that good, etc)

1. Lagunitas Born Yesterday, and to a lesser extent high westified (because I had higher expectations). This is not a slight to lagunitas. I really like their beer, it's solid, it's priced well-I drink a little sumpin' sumpin' often. But both of these beers were another level in my opinion. Born Yesterday was one of my favorite beers of the year, and high westified is a "poor mans" bourbon county. Amazing price point for the quality
    2. Stickee Hands and the marmalade version by Block 15. I just moved to Oregon, and was not familiar with Block 15. I have to say, both of these held their own against the likes of Pliny the elder and King sue. Didn't have quite the same level of balance as the latter two, but both were in the upper echelon of IPAs i have had all year

Robtobfest, scream and IDABEERGUY like this.
  33. IDABEERGUY

IDABEERGUY Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2013 Idaho

My first WOW was a Pako's IPA from Snake River Brewing, firstly truly hoppy, bitter sob of a beer I ever drank. From the first sip on I have been a bitter hoppy fool. I've only ever had one Pliney and it was brought to me in a backpack to Idaho from California...... And it's still the best beer I ever drank! Will get to California some day and drink some more Plineys as well as some others on my bucket list. The Stone Enjoy By series gets honorable mention as well as Untia Brewings Hop Nosh Tangerine IPA, just an incredible beer at a phenomenal price....

34. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (477) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina

TH pineapple milkshake and
    Trillium PM dawn.
    Both were just so fire.

35. Junior

Junior Champion (850) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Three for me. 1. Bell's 30th Anniversary Stout. This is probabably my favorite non BA stout. After drinking the first one I cleaned out the local shops. 2. Pliny the Elder. I was able to try this as a bit a a surprise. I knew this was a highly rated beer, but this to me was simply amazing. So well balanced and full mouthfeel. Blown away by the shock of actually drinking it and it living up to the hype. Can't wait to drink it a second time. 3. You can get with that Juice by a local brewery. Picked this up after their 1st anniversary party. It was my introduction to the NE IPA style. Didn't really know what to expect, but this is now one of my favorite beers.

36. deleted_user_1111368

deleted_user_1111368 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2016 Delaware

Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter

37. TheWolf

TheWolf Disciple (361) May 26, 2015 Delaware
    Trader

In a year in which I had my first Heady and my first Pliny, the beer that blew me away was born yesterday unfiltered. It was unbelievable. Unfortunately, I had scored an additional 6 pack about 10 weeks after bottling and I was equally surprised at how fast it fell off.

In a separate category, not that expectations are ever low for this brewery for me, but Tired Hands Space Needle exceeded my expectations.

38. colby600

colby600 Crusader (794) Mar 24, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

PM Dawn & HF S&S #4.

39. WCKDVBZ

WCKDVBZ Meyvn (1,455) May 9, 2014 South Carolina

The very first time I had Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout and BCBBW.

40. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,989) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Right? If we're playing the 'ever' game then too many to list, but significant early ones for me were Aass Bock, 1982 as an impulse purchase and Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter in 1985 in a wine appreciation class. Those were quite expensive (and magical) beers at the time, and opened the door that the other imports only managed to show me.

Lately I'm not so much blown away by beers, as I have some that get under my skin and get me to obsess about them. Last spring I loved a Trinity beer (Menacing Kumquat) so much that I must've bought a case one bottle at a time- such an harmonious tapestry of the fruit, brett and citra hops that I couldn't get enough of it. And just today I inquired about pre-ordering a case. Of a Trinity beer ($$$). Man, I keep falling for the gold diggers, don't I?

LuskusDelph and cavedave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.