Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Beers that you regret purchasing...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Thedrizzle, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palma

palma Dec 14, 2003 New York
    Beer Trader

Those pink bottles from rogue
    DavoleBomb, RaulMondesi, 1up and 5 others like this.
  2. oldp0rt

oldp0rt Feb 24, 2011 Quebec (Canada)

mother funker?
  3. StaveHooks

StaveHooks Nov 18, 2008 Oklahoma

5 Golden Rings. It makes me shudder just thinking about it.
    palma likes this.
  4. cjoc83

cjoc83 Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Dominion Oak Barrel Stout. What crap that was. On the plus side, my lady liked it, and now she's (sort of) into stouts. Only good thing I can say about that stuff.
    1up and jlenik like this.
  5. Gotti311

Gotti311 Mar 22, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I hated myself after taking the first sip of Brux from the great minds of Russian River/Sierra Nevada. I was expecting something big and bold. The Sour homebrew we opened up next to it blew it out of the water.
    palma likes this.
  6. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Oct 16, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Rouge VooDoo donut, and Stone 16th aniversary IPA (Yuck!)
    Also I didnt feel the westy 12 was worth the price of the 6 pack, I will stick to Roeshfort
    1up, MIA4IPA, mctizzz and 1 other person like this.
  7. jbertsch

jbertsch Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

Oak Aged Fayston Maple Imperial Stout
  8. bylerteck

bylerteck May 17, 2009 Ontario (Canada)
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Hel & Verdoemnis Bordeaux BA. HOOOOOOOOOOLY was that not worth the money. As I bought it brewery fresh. Yeesh. I'm sure it only cost like 7 euro, but damn was that a let down.
  9. LCB_Hostage

LCB_Hostage Jan 30, 2013 Pennsylvania

I can honestly say I don't have any regrets about any of the beer I've purchased. Sure, there have been a few I've been less than pleased with, but how would I know that otherwise? There are also some cases where the first (or second or third) bottle didn't do anything for me, but then I opened one when I was in the right mood and really enjoyed it (and made a note of when that was for purposes of enjoying the rest of the six). Seriously, for most beers, you're paying at most $12/sixer. A small price to pay for the knowledge that results. (OK, I will admit some bombers can turn into pretty expensive experiments, especially if they're failed experiments.)
  10. tronto

tronto Dec 22, 2010 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

11. heteroscedastic

heteroscedastic Dec 14, 2012 Illinois

Lambeak wants dragonfruit
    Swik and egrace84 like this.
  12. Travcofarms

Travcofarms Dec 7, 2012 Pennsylvania

Rogue XS @ 19 bucks.
  13. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Feb 22, 2013 Ohio

Sam Adam's Double Bock love to get rid of it hell might sweeten the trade w/ some $ j/king. I am continually disappointed by Boston Brewing have yet to find a beer I like by them I keep trying though have Stonebrook coming.
    1up likes this.
  14. LuckyJohn

LuckyJohn Feb 6, 2013 Colorado

I agree with LCB_Hostage that I don't regret any purchases... with one exception: I didn't check the date on something by Sierra Nevada I bought at some little dive convienence store while I was driving through a remote mountain west area. That stuff was so old I could have taken it on Antique Roadshow. Nasty.
    cjoc83 likes this.
  15. dmfc906

dmfc906 Jul 2, 2010 Illinois

Stone Belgo RIS with Anise. I don't like anise. I knew that going in...still bought it...couldn't finish it.
    DavoleBomb and DeviousSpirits like this.
  16. TheJollyHop

TheJollyHop Sep 2, 2009 California

Farmhouse Black Metal...yuck! And after thoroughly enjoying JK's Black Metal too! For shame....
  17. Kikodamian

Kikodamian Feb 9, 2013 Florida

Grolsch. It's not terrible but I just got too much of it.
  18. GoGators

GoGators Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Rayon Vert. I hate Brett!!!!
    CasanovaCummins likes this.
  19. stevensd19

stevensd19 Jan 13, 2008 Massachusetts

Hop Session Ale - Otter Creek Brewing... but it could just be I've been ruined by too many Nugget Nectars.... ?
  20. lewisti

lewisti Nov 7, 2001 Connecticut

when i first saw Southern Tier 2XMAS last December i scoffed up a 6 pack somehow thinking it would be darker winterier version of 2XIPA not realizing what a overspiced mess it would be, just not my thing, still got 4 of the 6 in the fridge
    supermodified likes this.
  21. ferillo

ferillo Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

22. SteelCity75

SteelCity75 Jan 14, 2013 Connecticut

Probably Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut. Not so much because I hated it (I thought it was okay, but honestly not worth the price), but because I was stupid and had my BMC friends try it and now they talk more about the bacon beer that I had them try than any quality craft beers that I've had them try.
  23. Scalzo

Scalzo Feb 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

GI RARE, yuck
  24. SenorHops

SenorHops Aug 10, 2010 Rhode Island

Funny. I was gonna say 21st Amendment Back in Black.
    Saviorself likes this.
  25. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Feb 20, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Eel River Organic IPA

Shits like drinking hand soap.
    arniepnminne likes this.
  26. GodlessWatermelon

GodlessWatermelon Apr 12, 2012 Maryland

Smuttynose Zinneke. Label said it was a Belgian style stout, and it was maybe $7-8 so I grabbed one. Pretty disappointing. Schenkerla Aecht Rauchbier as well. I was reading about traditional German rauchbiers in a book and decided to try one. It smelled and tasted like smoked meat. If someone had blindfolded you and held it under your nose you'd think you were smelling barbeque. I wouldn't say I regret buying either, because I'm down for trying new beers (whether good or bad), but I would never purchase either again.
  27. Anaz

Anaz Dec 22, 2009 California

A lightstruck bottle of Saison Fantome. Green bottles strike fear to the core of my being now.
  28. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Aug 21, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

29. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Dec 16, 2012 North Carolina

Rouge Voodoo.
    13 bucks gone.
    Could have been a nice 12pack that I would have enjoyed all week.
    But no.
    My dumb ass didn't listen to reason, and I said to myself, "I dont need help, I can drink this whole bottle myself"
    Drank a whole 16oz glass of it. Poured another 16 oz glass, there was still more in the bottle.
    I said no, just no.
    Drainpoured the 2nd glass and also what was left in the bottle, opened a new beer to get that taste out of my mouth.
    The taste of failure.
    Syracuse12 likes this.
  30. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Dec 16, 2012 North Carolina

whaaat? Brown Shugga is a fine beer
    come on..
    dianimal likes this.
  31. Philly82785

Philly82785 Dec 17, 2008 Minnesota

Rouge Maple Bacon Ale...awful and I Paid way too much for it
    redsand22 likes this.
  32. liane

liane Jan 2, 2013 Minnesota

Bells Oarsman Ale and Lips of Faith Heavenly Fiajo Tripel-both drain pour
  33. atomic

atomic Sep 22, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

When did you have 11.11.11? I had 11.11.11 two weeks ago and I thought it was great. now 12.12.12 I had a couple days ago and drain poured the last 5oz or so. Just couldnt take it anymore.
    ironchefmiyagi13 likes this.
  34. MarshMan71

MarshMan71 Jul 17, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Moose Drool Brown Ale - Big Sky Brewing Company.
    Dunno why it was so long ago and one of the first Craft beers I had tried at the time. All I remember was thinking boy they sure got the name right.

May have to give it another chance if I can find it in a mix 6 sometime. now that my palate is a bit more refined.
  35. CTJman

CTJman Jan 14, 2013 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Voodoo Doughnut - Enough Said, I've never drain poured a beer faster
    1up likes this.
  36. SometimesIfart

SometimesIfart Jun 4, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Duvel. I gave half the fifth away so I could enjoy a Plead the 5th instead.
  37. Philly82785

Philly82785 Dec 17, 2008 Minnesota

I hated the Maple Bacon Ale, I wasn't willing to risk another $13 on another shady beer
  38. JulianC

JulianC Mar 9, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I drain poured 11.11.11 too. One of the few non-infected beers I've ever done that too.
    cjoc83 likes this.
  39. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Aug 21, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

I love every other beer from Lagunita's. Brown Sugga just didn't do it for me.
  40. egrace84

egrace84 Mar 25, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

All of the Lambeaks were fucki'n terrible! Still think its bullshit they bottled and sold this to their customers... shitty move.
    superacct2004 and Swik like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!