Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Beers that you regret purchasing...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Thedrizzle, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smutty33

smutty33 Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut

Wow,I am getting a huge kick outta the fact that ur curiosity got the better of you to actually purchase that slime called "Wild Blue"......proudly made by Budweiser....lol.

2. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 May 29, 2012 Illinois

Big Sky Kriek. I think I paid about $16 for the bottle. After drain pouring my bottle, I assumed that I got a badly infected bottle or something because it tasted like vomit and onions... then I read the reviews....apparently that's just what their "kriek" tastes like
    superspak likes this.
  3. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Mar 4, 2013 Michigan

An expensive sour. Crazy sour. I didn't know it was a.sour
  4. Boston77

Boston77 May 13, 2012 Washington

Voodoo Doughnut.
    Terrible marketing ploy and a terrible attempt at beer.
    Occidentals Dunkle Hefe is brutally bad. This Hefe is like brown puddle water. Though, that would be an insult to puddle water.
  5. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Aug 19, 2009 Oregon

Lol, my mom bought it for my gf (she loves blueberries) thinking it would be good. It wasn't...
    smutty33 likes this.
  6. unjustus

unjustus Dec 31, 2010 Nevada

New Belgium Shift and Southern Tier Creme Brule
  7. smutty33

smutty33 Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut

Ok,I guess I can let you off the hook....lol.

Kopfschuss likes this.
  8. yoitsarch

yoitsarch Nov 13, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I figured a pineapple pizza would pair great with it, boy was I wrong.
    Phillyz likes this.
  9. ezperkins2

ezperkins2 Jan 3, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

The six pack of big swell IPA from Maui I purchased yesterday. The canned date was printed on the edge of the can so that the year was not easily legible. at the time I thought it was canned on 2/3/13. After opening one and then inspecting the can further I realized it was 2/3/12. Nothing like a 13 month old IPA six pack.
  10. GimmeGumballHead

GimmeGumballHead Dec 4, 2010 Illinois

11. prock180

prock180 Mar 9, 2013 Arizona

Torpedo IPA. I used to like this beer and I love ipa's but it wasn't as good this time around. Thats a bummer cuz i do like most of sierra nevada's stuff.
  12. ferillo

ferillo Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Subscriber Beer Trader

Frangelic Mountain Brown
  13. BenDrinking

BenDrinking Mar 24, 2013 Maryland

Samuel Adams, Fat Jack Double Pumpkin Ale. 1st batch.

Barely tasted the spices, and didn't taste any pumpkin. Only malt. Not good. I'm a big fan of pumpkin beers, and this is one of the biggest let downs. They talked a big game, and fell flat.
    greenhorn likes this.
  14. jtdolla911

jtdolla911 Nov 18, 2011 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I havent opened them yet, but DFH Bitches Brew, have 2 and haven't opened either, then Nightstalker, Big John, and BCBS. Not a huge fan of those 3, but I buy them every year because I'm a robot. Or an idiot. Or both.
    RStang13 likes this.
  15. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Feb 16, 2013 Michigan

Its meh in the bottle but amazing if you can find it on tap.
  16. Rainier

Rainier Dec 20, 2012 California

The Bruery Sour in the Rye... I regret because I wanna buy a case now!
    jlenik and Hotmetal1 like this.
  17. alucard6679

alucard6679 Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Most recently: Ballast Point Indra Kunindra

Good God, that was horrible.
  18. BeerRollups

BeerRollups Feb 21, 2013 Massachusetts

Pork Slap and Snapperhead from Butternuts Brewery. Boyfriend and I would see at it at the neighborhood package store and laugh at the can designs remarking how we "must try it sometime". He brought a six of each home the other night, and they are both gross. I also regret spending 14 bucks os so on Rhizing Bines a few weeks back.
  19. roroChp

roroChp Mar 24, 2013 Texas

Pretty much any macro beer with the word light in it. Or any macro beer for that matter.
  20. Hefewiseman

Hefewiseman Sep 6, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

I'm gonna have to say Wild Blue as well...

Pounded 4 of them as a college junior 3 years ago and hurled off the third story balcony at my apartment complex after taking a blast of the ol' "water-pipe". I can't even eat blueberry muffins anymore because of how awful Wild Blue was :confused: THEN come to find out recently, it is indeed a product of AB... figures lol
    smutty33 likes this.
  21. katje111

katje111 Dec 30, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Victory dark intrigue. And, being from pa I bought a case .
  22. FEUO

FEUO Jul 24, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

Just about all the IPAs I buy online.
  23. GotWad629

GotWad629 Sep 14, 2010 New York

I love most offerings by Souther Tier like pumking but could not stand Creme Brulee.
  24. Iriepirate21

Iriepirate21 May 2, 2012 California

Any Sierra Nevada IPAs. I swear to God, they all taste like regular old, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Even their latest collaberation with Dogfish head. I mean, 14 bucks for a bomber of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale? Should have used a gun to rob me.
  25. TheJerkstore

TheJerkstore Mar 19, 2013 New York

Hop Devil Nitro at a bar that HAD to have bad lines. I was so mad I drank it out of spite.
  26. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I regret a few beers but in a, "I shouldn't have slamhogged last night" kind of way. You pour it out, move on and if you see it again, try to avoid eye contact!
  27. SupremePie

SupremePie Sep 30, 2012 Vermont

Almost everything I've snagged from Mikkeller, decent beer, just not anywhere near worth it for the cost.... With that said, even with the taste of disappointment fresh in my mouth, at least I know I'm keeping some talented Graphic Designers gainfully employed
  28. JayORear

JayORear Feb 22, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Stone VE 11.11.11. One of my very few drain pours ever.
  29. fickenmeimirish

fickenmeimirish Feb 18, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I like most mikkeller beers but the beer I most regret buying is spontanwildstrawberry.. absolutely aweful.. literally all I could taste was metal and burnt plastic.. what I regret even more is I bought two bottles of it, and I am now sitting on a second one that I dread opening up.
  30. breda7

breda7 Nov 21, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

shepherd neame ipa
    expected a good hop taste
    got a bland bottle of shite from a tired old brewery stuck in the 1950s
  31. jlenik

jlenik Jan 22, 2009 New Jersey

Store had these on sale for $1 per bottle. I bought three, wish I didn't even buy one.
  32. sukwonee

sukwonee Dec 13, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

33. Bringthebeards

Bringthebeards Jan 27, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

lips of faith transatlantique kriek .. not worth the price point IMO.
  34. jcreegan

jcreegan Aug 12, 2010 Florida
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Rogue maple bacon
  35. stilts

stilts Jan 21, 2010 Pennsylvania

For me, it's a slam dunk for Saranac Caramel Porter. One of my friends got half the case, another still has the better part of a six-pack in his fridge and there are still three in my fridge for "party dares" or, as I'm playing it, "This is what disappointment tastes like."
    IPAkindaguy likes this.
  36. Thedrizzle

Thedrizzle Sep 10, 2012 Florida
    Subscriber Beer Trader

DFH Immort. Just awful. Leave it it dfh to keep on making those funky ass beers.
  37. IPAkindaguy

IPAkindaguy Aug 20, 2010 Florida
    Beer Trader

Saranac Caraml Porter ... Drain pour.
  38. Chaney

Chaney Apr 20, 2006 District of Columbia

And the reason I like it is because it gets my beer-hating wife to actually drink beer with me.
  39. superspak

superspak May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

YUUUUUUP. I bought it on impulse, having already consistently enjoyed their year round releases. Then I read the reviews after, and put off tasting it til a couple weeks ago. Drank about 1/4 and dumped the rest of it after I rated it.

cnbrown313 likes this.
  40. fullmetal1381

fullmetal1381 Jul 30, 2011 Florida

Cucumber Saison grew on me. For a while, back when I was at CCB 3+ times a week it was my "getting a little buzzed, lemme go with something light to end the session" beer.

As for me, I regret buying any and all Clown Shoes stouts. They all taste like Blaecorn Unidragon (i.e., smoked) to me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!