Beers that you regret purchasing...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Thedrizzle, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zimbo

Zimbo Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Years ago. Bought a single bottle of 1993 Courage Russian Imperial Stout when I should have close lined the entire shelf.
  2. Andrewelaban

Andrewelaban Nov 26, 2012 Ohio

Pipeworks Blue Lady was miserable
  3. ghostly

ghostly Mar 7, 2011 New York

Green Flash/St Feuillien Friendship Brew, a black saison, is disgusting. My local has been selling several cases of it for $1.69 per bottle for months, and it just sits there.
  4. BigBarley

BigBarley Aug 5, 2011 Texas

Victory White Monkey... I'm drinking it right now and the only thing keeping me going is the pleasant oak taste on the back end. It smells like cheap cheese dunked in Carlo Rossi, and tastes (excluding the oaky goodness) like Carlo Rossi that's had cheap cheese suspended in it for months
  5. BigBarley

BigBarley Aug 5, 2011 Texas

Craziness... I've thought that exact thing about plenty of ROGUE products (anything Voodoo, anything Chatoe) but for whatever reason, the two Chocolate Stouts are the ones I can actually appreciate.

Although, now that I think about it, the price tag IS the reason I've only had it once. For 8 bucks it'd be fine. But they're a little TOO proud of their bombers
  6. BeerHunter76

BeerHunter76 Dec 25, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine. And that was a sober purchase... We can say curiousity killed my tastebuds.
  7. BostonPhilly

BostonPhilly Apr 11, 2012 Massachusetts

Rogue Voodoo Donut. I don't know why anyone would by this after the first try. The best thing about the beer is the cool pink bottle. Disappointing too because Rogue makes some high quality beers.
  8. Cjames88

Cjames88 Mar 6, 2011 Pennsylvania

Apart from Bitches Brew.....

every dogfish bomber...ever.
  9. sbxx

sbxx Mar 21, 2011 Illinois

Pipeworks Hyper Dog

Boozy coffee water with some cocoa. Pathetic for $9 a bomber.
  10. NEO68710

NEO68710 Mar 6, 2006 Washington

Just picked up a bottle of Left Hand Twin Sisters DIPA for $10, I'll never make that mistake again. It's maybe worth $5 and I stress the maybe.
  11. embeevlos86

embeevlos86 Apr 6, 2013 California

Belmont Brewing Company's Belgian Strong Pale Ale. It tasted like a 99 cent tall can.
  12. rodrigueZflyingf0x

rodrigueZflyingf0x Jun 11, 2012 British Columbia (Canada)

I'm overwhelmed with regret every time I buy a new IPA without reading the bottle, only to realize it's "English-style" when I go to drink it. My fault, though. As for brewers who produce this garbage without putting any warning on the bottle whatsoever, there is a special spot in hell reserved for you.

For real, though, that Rogue Maple Bacon train wreck resulted in regret in its purest form.
  13. JTDay

JTDay Jan 28, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Has anyone said Sierra Nevada Ovila quad aged with plums
    Ristaccia likes this.
  14. CoalCellar

CoalCellar Feb 5, 2008 Pennsylvania

Buffalo Bills Blueberry Oatmeal Stout. My god is it bad. It honestly tasted like vomit. I couldn't get past the 2nd sip and that's saying something. I still shudder when I thin about it.
    Andygirl likes this.
  15. CoalCellar

CoalCellar Feb 5, 2008 Pennsylvania

Kill it with fire
    nlmartin likes this.
  16. Bnoise11

Bnoise11 Dec 25, 2012 California

DFH/Sierra Nevada collaboration - Life & Limb, $14 for a 750 ml of extremely mediocre beer. No more overpriced DFH nonsense for me.
  17. JackofBlades

JackofBlades Apr 1, 2013 Texas

Bought two old ass bottles of Ruination. I didn't notice they were so old until I got home and opened them. Wasted $12 on a funky tasting beer.
  18. xShoWTeKx

xShoWTeKx Jan 21, 2013 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

My favorite one is by far their pumpkin patch ale it was $8 a bomber and well worth it, everything else I've had from them just wasn't worth what they want. Although I am seriously considering dropping $20 on a bottle of morimoto imperial pilsner, really want to try that.
  19. AJ01923

AJ01923 Jan 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Can't believe they released it again this past year. Infinium that is.
  20. AJ01923

AJ01923 Jan 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Goose Island BCBS. Paid $25 for a 4 pack only to confirm that yes, I'm not a fan of bourbon barrel aging. At least these will age while I try to trade the other 3 or give away to some buddies.
  21. APB

APB Dec 15, 2012 Nebraska

Dogfish theobroma….. I have no idea what they were going for with this one, I'm sticking to the 60, 90 and 120 min IPA from now on.
  22. ebin6

ebin6 Jun 11, 2009 California

I'd recommend the Sah'tea (sp?) if you're willing to give another one of their "historical beers" a chance. Much more approachable for someone who appears to heavily favor IPAs.
  23. hollywood_15063

hollywood_15063 Jul 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

The one that sticks out to me most recently was dogfish Sierra rhizing bines. Bought 2 bottles thinking it was going to be fantastic. Really dreaded even opening the second. Really dull and bland. Didn't remind me of an imperial ipa at all
  24. atomic

atomic Sep 22, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Early bottles had problems with infection. Think that could have been it? I enjoyed Blue Lady quite a bit.
  25. Vitacca

Vitacca Sep 15, 2010 Montana
    Beer Trader

I was a fan of Enigma. Haven't had the other one though.
  26. Vitacca

Vitacca Sep 15, 2010 Montana
    Beer Trader

11.11.11 and Alaskan's smoked porter were instant drain pours for me.
  27. BrettHead

BrettHead Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

I don't really regret purchasing any beer. You don't know what you think of it until after you try it after all.
  28. ParchedNeedBeer

ParchedNeedBeer Feb 21, 2011 California

I ran across a bottle of Big Sky Kriek. I haven't opened it and I'm kinda scared to after reading the reviews. I dont know what the hell I was thinking.
  29. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Mar 2, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I don't think I've ever regretted a purchase from a store, but a couple weeks ago I was at the airport and ordered a Guinness. I've never really had Guinness before and it was St. Patty's Day so I thought why not? Well, it was extremely watery and flavorless and when I got the check...BAM, 10 bucks!

Actually, scratch that. DFH Chicory Stout. About $10 for a 4 pack. I was so unimpressed by it. I was expecting something similar to their IBA but it was just not nearly as good. It wasn't a drain pour, but still pretty disappointing.
  30. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Jan 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

DFH 120 Minute. Bought a bottle for $10 last year and shared it like 8 ways at my fantasy fb draft. 8 for 8 in terms of people that hated it. No redeeming qualities in my world.
  31. MisSigsFan

Beer Trader

Well it is like 20%. So if you drink a whole bottle you're gonna be completely tanked. I've actually never had it but I really want to. I just can't find it anywhere.
  32. abkayak

abkayak Jan 8, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

i have really wanted to like Flying Fish beers...they are local to me...0/3 so far (ipa,grand cru,exit16) one more shot w/ an exit 4 than i'm done
  33. BrettHead

BrettHead Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Tanked? I guess two BCBS at 15% means I am totally wasted :cool:
  34. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Jan 23, 2013 Massachusetts

Founders All Day IPA. Very bland brew, plus my beer shop is way over-priced so it's not just that it was a mediocre beer, it was way overpriced.
  35. DapperGrowler

DapperGrowler Jan 12, 2012 District of Columbia

Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager... just a waste of my time
    alex_hart likes this.
  36. MisSigsFan

Beer Trader

Well you're a badass aren't you?
  37. alex_hart

alex_hart Feb 28, 2013 Oklahoma

Carlsburg Elephant..last time I will blindly listen to a less-than-competent liquor store "beer expert".
  38. alex_hart

alex_hart Feb 28, 2013 Oklahoma

another one that i just remembered was Blue Moon's beer-wine attempt with Proximity..tasted like water with a hint of bud light and grape juice, and I'm not a fan of bud-water-grape juice for $9.
  39. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Dec 24, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Rogue Voodoo Doughnut (peanut butter, chocolate, banana bullshit), Jester King El Cedro, Brewdog Hardcore IPA, and the massive amount of Christmas beer that went on clearance (not that it was all bad, but I almost never wanna see a Christmas/winter warmer beer again since I bought so damn much)
  40. Andygirl

Andygirl Jan 3, 2013 Michigan

My husband LIKED the doughnut banana pb mess. I couldn't even take the smell of the empty bottle next to the sink. Nasty, gross, worst beer smell ever.
    Cvescalante likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!