Beers without nicknames

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pro100, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pro100

pro100 Initiate (107) Oct 12, 2014 California

... Seems like their losing their luster. Do you still buy craft beers with generic no frills titles like IPA, Amber Ale, Porter, Pilsner, etc... Or do you need that trendy/sexy nickname to get you going? No judgement either way in my book.

DrewSnyc667 and Lahey like this.
  2. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,430) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

If it's well made I don't care what they call it.

3. Lahey

Lahey Devotee (402) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Sometimes the names are just frivolous bullshit and distract from the beer, but some are decent descriptors. If a beer has added flavors or a certain taste to it (dank, juicy, fruity) then a creative name can get that across and entertain all at once. Being that so many beers are variants of the standard, weird nicknames seem to be the new norm. Great topic for sure. Usually the funny named ones get my attention, but mostly because I like trying new things.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  4. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Disciple (328) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

I buy snpa, founders Porter, and JA house lager all the time.

The names are just a means to stand out from the crowd a bit though. Most are obnoxious to say out loud though so I find myself pointing to menus quite often. The names don't matter to me. Just the beer.

5. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,806) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

You know how the best pizza places don't deliver? Yeah, it's kinda like that...should be, anyway:wink:.

cavedave, Junior, gopens44 and 8 others like this.
  6. Lahey

I know what you mean. I ordered one called "you figure it out". The bartender and my fiancée looked at me like I was a big dummy till I pointed it out on the tap list.

7. Druid_51

Druid_51 Initiate (134) Aug 11, 2013 Kentucky

Stone IPA....so, yes, I do....

TongoRad and Lahey like this.
  8. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (10,003) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

You mention nicknames and titles, then start naming styles. Styles are fairly well defined, though admittedly have proliferated beyond all reason. What are you really asking? Examples?

moshea likes this.
  9. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,929) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I like that Founders used a lot of generic names.

Porter
    Centennial IPA
    Breakfast Stout
    Azacca IPA

Plus, it makes it easy for me. I have a hard time keeping all Lagunitas' straight. Someone remind me what style Sucks is again?

10. Lahey

Sucks is an ipa, like all their beers:wink: I do like their hoppy beers though.

eldoctorador and jvgoor3786 like this.
  11. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,929) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Oh, yeah. Hop Stooopid is incredible fresh. I also like their wheat IPA, but I can't remember that name either. It's like Little something or other. :wink:

Lahey likes this.
  12. raynmoon

raynmoon Champion (804) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

Evil twin..

"I made friends with a tree once, but it told me it liked Ipa more than me"

Something like that.

FBarber, mkh012, eldoctorador and 2 others like this.
  13. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (132) May 28, 2008 Florida

Usually no, I would go buy style of beer. But I must admit I was intrigued at the prospect of Founder's DKML.

Lahey and bbtkd like this.
  14. pro100

pro100 Initiate (107) Oct 12, 2014 California

How do you not know what I'm talking about??

THIS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AS OPPOSED TO THIS:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jmdrpi, cavedave, George1005 and 6 others like this.
  15. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,213) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

I do admittedly love clever beer names, but no, a beer's name doesn't factor into whether or not I like it. One of my top favorite IPAs is just Finback's "IPA".

Lahey likes this.
  16. ThinBlueLine

ThinBlueLine Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2014 New Jersey

If it comes recommended, is made well, and a style I like, it could be called "Cat Piss" for all I care.

Lahey likes this.
  17. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,834) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Getting tired of the cutesy names, also getting tired of people coming into my store and loudly commenting “I can’t believe this is called Sweet Baby Jesus”...

PatrickCT and dennis3951 like this.
  18. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,080) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The Feds use the terms "Brand Name" and "Fanciful Name" but they aren't too fussy about it, since many brewers get it confused on their COLAs.

As noted on BBC's beer below, some brewers list style as the "Fanciful Name".

[​IMG]

The TTB also has a small list of their recognized styles - what they call "Class/Type" - which beers can be labeled and an even shorter (but duplicate) list of Class/types under which COLAs can be filed:
    [​IMG]

LeRose, jmdrpi, PatrickCT and 4 others like this.
  19. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,785) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Names don't attract me to a beer. As long as the style is clearly visible I'm okay with that.

Some names are so wild that I think brewers are competing with other for "wierdness" rights, and they are high on something when they dream these names up.

Lahey and ThinBlueLine like this.
  20. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,079) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I like beers with names that relate to local history and local natural features. Like Foothills Pilot Mountain Pale Ale, Highland Gaelic Ale, Natty Greene's Elm Street IPA , and Black Powder Imperial Stout (American Revolution).

21. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (473) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I generally appreciate clever turns of phrase/odd word pairings and such so I suppose that can be something of a plus for me on the subtle marketing side of things.

This can quickly turn to annoyance though if they don't have a description on the damn container somewhere to explain what the hell it actually it is. Pick up a cool looking can, search around it for info, come up empty, put it back down and go on to the next one. It doesn't happen super frequently, but I'm surprised it happens as much as it does.

LeRose, drtth, Lahey and 1 other person like this.
  22. zid

zid Meyvn (1,205) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Your thread was confusing because you're actually not talking about nicknames at all... you're talking about actual beer names. "Zombie Dust" is not a nickname. PBR is a nickname.

All the time. Stupid, kitschy or long names are more of a turn off than generic ones. But I buy the beer I want regardless. The one downside for me for breweries that stick to a naming convention of brewery+style are cases where confusion is caused due to such a brewer having too many IPAs.

23. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,080) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The most annoying aspect of it is the fact that it corresponds with the new canning fad. It's a lot easier to read the brand name/style on the side or end of a sixpack "basket" or, even if you have to, to pull out a bottle from that sixpack and read the label for more info. But with cans, you've got to pick up the entire 4/6-pack, and then spin one of the cans to be able to read the label - a two-handed operation! :astonished:

It doesn't happen often to me, because I started ignoring all those canned beers from new breweries with the (supposed) "clever" names and "cool" graphics until I read otherwise. Such as this example:
    [​IMG]
    WTF? I guess it's some kinds of beer from some brewery...

#23 jesskidden, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    LeRose, jmdrpi, Coronaeus and 7 others like this.
  24. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (5,264) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Well, you do have a problem with using (to be obvious) "IPA" as your name and descriptor if you have 4 IPAs available. What if Founders made two porters? One has to have a name other than just "Founders Porter" for differentiation.

The actual naming, well, that's where trademarking come in and having to come up with a (for the most part) unique name among 6000+ other breweries also brewing beers.

All that said, the more info on the package, the better, regardless of brewer or naming convention they use.

Lahey and PatrickCT like this.
  25. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,079) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

My favorite beer is Gibb's 100 Blind Man's Paradise Greensboro Pale Ale. It's a long winded name and a gorgeous beer. BFD...

26. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,566) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Ya could just call it Porter #1, Porter #2, etc.

27. cjgiant

Society

Agreed... but Marketing 101 will tell you that is limiting. From a grander, not "in the know [local] beer geek" world, who would know the difference? It also doesn't beg an easier recognition. So yes, but I'd be hard pressed a business advisor would rightfully argue for this technique until you're already established (see FW Luponic Distortion).

beertunes likes this.
  28. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,362) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I read descriptions and if it seems compelling, I’ll buy. At the very most, a name can cause me to not buy the beer.

PatrickCT likes this.
  29. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (2,280) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Society Trader

I couldn't disagree more.

30. cjgiant

Society

On which part?

jesskidden and drtth like this.
  31. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (132) May 28, 2008 Florida

"Drink Tree Frog Beer and you'll feel great and have lots of friends."
    Gilbert Shelton, via The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

32. bbtkd

Society Trader

#32 bbtkd, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    PapaGoose03 likes this.
  33. teromous

teromous Poo-Bah (2,739) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I buy both. Breweries that are just starting off might mark a specific beer as their flagship pale ale (for example Sierra Nevada Pale Ale) then down the line develop another pale ale (for example Sierra Nevada's Sidecar Orange Pale Ale). While some people might see that as being lazy, it is almost more a sign of respect from the brewer that they are saying "this is our namesake ____ beer."

The same goes for packaging; a smaller brewery might not be able to afford a big marketing team or an artist. Williamsburg Alewerks (Alewerks Brewing Company) has, for the most part, always had simple labels and simple names. Over the years they've expanded the artwork on their labels and had a few more creative names.

On a side note there is the question of professionalism versus creativity and how you approach your customer. Consider a customer who is looking for a beer on the shelf and doesn't listen to heavy metal, doesn't read comic books, and just wants a good craft beer. Maybe they don't want to carry around a six-pack of Todd McFarlane.

Coronaeus likes this.
  34. Tamarack

Tamarack Initiate (52) Sep 22, 2016 Massachusetts

I see that so often with American alts. Rising Tide's Ishmael "Copper Ale" or Long Trail Ale anyone?

35. Squire

Society Trader

On the whole I'm lenient to the point of disinterest regarding graphics so long as they're not so immaturely gross as to picture a dirty diaper on a brown ale.

36. bbtkd

Society Trader

Suppose they're not alluding to the Red Ale style, just the red color

Tamarack likes this.
  37. bbtkd

Society Trader

Like Brown Note? Yeah, don't think I'd buy that. Also - have you wanted to order a tap of a beer but the name is so idiotic that you can't bring yourself to say it, so you order it by style or number on their board?

38. Squire

Society Trader

No I haven't but I will ask "what's that thing on the third tap".

bbtkd likes this.
  39. Tamarack

Tamarack Initiate (52) Sep 22, 2016 Massachusetts

I have to say I'm a sucker for a beer just called by it's style. Gimme a helles called Helles and a bitter called Bitter. The new habit of beers having a sentence-long name reminds me of the era of mid-2000's metal/hardcore band names. *shudder*

Squire and bbtkd like this.
  40. Squire

Society Trader

Sometimes I've wondered if you won't call it what it is then what are you trying to hide.

Tamarack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.