Beers you don't "get".

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SINKTIPS_N_SUDS, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (229) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

I get trigonometry. But I don't get Stella.

Robdiesel21 likes this.
  2. Professor_Yeesh

Professor_Yeesh Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2014 California

Feel the same way.

3. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,538) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

I am 100% right with you there. I revisited with over a year age and it was still incredibly medicinally bitter. Most English style BW's, Old Ales, and a few American styles are much more flavorful, sweeter that Bigfoot IMO. And I'm a really big fan of most all SN beers they've put out. Haven't had Barrel aged Bigfoot, but not willing to gamble on it with the price tag and not liking the regular version

Gemini6 and FLBeerGuy like this.
  4. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

5. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,969) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I don't get Double Bastard. It's a boozy overly sweet mess of a beer. I can't see how anyone can finish a bottle.

j47paco, abagofit and FLBeerGuy like this.
  6. kerry4porters

kerry4porters Zealot (541) Dec 31, 2012 Arizona

Warlock tasted almost the exact same as Pumpking like sickly sweet vanilla pie crust in the worst way no pumpkin at all. Warlock had slight semblance of Road malt that made it slightly better but calling it a pumpkin beer is just ridiculous

Hayden34 likes this.
  7. kerry4porters

kerry4porters Zealot (541) Dec 31, 2012 Arizona

Hoppy and Sour stouts I've had a few of each and I just don't get it ...

8. musicman7070

musicman7070 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey

Any of The Bruery's imperial stouts. So diabetically sweet; that's all I taste!

9. Beerds

Beerds Initiate (0) May 13, 2015 Alabama

Jai Alai. It was good but not my cup of tea-haven't bought any since the first (and only) 6 pack

frozen-1984, MeBeerGood and nc41 like this.
  10. TooGood

TooGood Crusader (707) Jan 28, 2014 Minnesota

I never even tried it this year. I gave it several tries the previous two years and never liked it.

11. Sir_Whats-his-face

Sir_Whats-his-face Initiate (157) Mar 2, 2015 Oregon

I don't understand why some people go so crazy over Yeti and it's variants. First of all, Yeti shouldn't be called an imperial stout; it's a CDA. But more importantly, it's not even very good for a CDA. And while the oak aged versions at least taste more like stouts, there are so many better examples of the style for the same price or less.

12. Kappakoosh

Kappakoosh Disciple (314) Dec 26, 2013 Texas

Torpedo...don't get it. I find it to be not well balanced and the hops are all over the place. 92 on BA...struggling to understand that one.

13. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (116) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

Any Barleywines. They suck. There I said it.

Surly Darkness. Just don't get the hype.

And anything that taste like booze. I want beer. Not booze.

Edit: reading some replies, someone mentioned Spotted Cow.

It's not bad. But it doesn't make me want to touch myself at night.

14. BullDoza

BullDoza Initiate (194) Apr 12, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Agree wholeheartedly with the Dale's Pale Ale dislike. I try, i know I don't like it, but I still try from time to time. Just not a good beer.

ivorycannon and MeBeerGood like this.
  15. CantankerousCaveBear

CantankerousCaveBear Initiate (177) Jul 26, 2015 Ontario (Canada)

It's a stupid gimmick. I don't know where idiotic notion that Indian cuisine consists of dumping yellow curry powder into everything comes from. It's ridiculous. People aren't even aware that there are regional differences in food, just like with most countries. There is no monolithic version of 'Mexican' food or 'Chinese' food, there is great variation from one locale to another.
    Holy hell, I went off topic with that one. /rant

16. The-Adjunct-Hippie

The-Adjunct-Hippie Poo-Bah (4,092) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Trader

Lagunitas Sumpin Ale and Sucks. I did try a fresh Sucks which was better, but the presentation was easily its strongest suit (and it really is a marvel)

17. Masquerade

Masquerade Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2015 Connecticut

Union Jack
    Dirtwolf

18. PourMore

PourMore Initiate (91) Oct 4, 2014 Florida

If you haven't had Ruination 2.0, I would recommend it. I used to gloss over Stone, but that one brought me back and inspired me to give them a second chance. Had a few other nice ones from them since then... newer ones from the stochasticity series.

19. scbeerman

scbeerman Aspirant (285) Feb 16, 2015 South Carolina

I'll second Indra Kunindra as a beer I don't "get." To me, it actually tasted okay...but why does the hell does it need to exist? I doubt there's anybody who, when they think of a beer, starts craving a curry/lemongrass/chili/whatever else flavored export stout. More of a show-off type of thing to me.

20. The-Adjunct-Hippie

The-Adjunct-Hippie Poo-Bah (4,092) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Trader

Oh yeah! Pumking sucked too. Sorry fellas.

Edit : Nevermind, I was thinking of Punk'n.

kerry4porters likes this.
  21. JAntony345

JAntony345 Initiate (85) May 1, 2010 New York

Old Rasputin reg and BA, both horrible. Also, sour beers in general. :confused:

22. deepsleeper

deepsleeper Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2015 California

I can't stand Abraxas, nor do I like Mexican Cake. I don't suppose I'd like Hunahpu either. Just don't like chili and cinnamon mixed into chocolate.

frozen-1984 likes this.
  23. jp32

jp32 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2004 Michigan

Most anything from Short's Brewing Company. Specifically, Short's Soft Parade and Short's Good Humans both come to mind. I wouldn't exactly call them an inferior quality, but I just cannot think of anything I've had from Short's that I actually enjoyed.... especially after hearing everyone else rave about them.

24. Archagon

Archagon Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2015 California

What's up with Prairie Bomb's price? To me it tastes just like Victory at Sea, except you can get that one for like $15 a 6-pack. A hint of chili spice isn't worth the exorbitant markup.

nc41 likes this.
  25. Zimbo

Zimbo Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Hey Hoppsbabo, I respect almost everything you write here. With the exception of the above.

26. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

Things in beer world that I don't get:

Cascade's Pricing
    KBBS limitation in 12oz format
    3 Sons Brewing having issues
    Velvet Speedway release
    375-500ml whales
    Silent releases with no hints or bread crumbs

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  27. KaeF

KaeF Initiate (138) Jan 11, 2015 Netherlands
    Trader

Dark Lord for me, it's just too sweet for my taste, especially compared to other huge stouts

28. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Zealot (592) Jan 16, 2013 New York

I certainly understand if you don't like it which is totally fine, but the rest of what you said makes zero sense. In your world why does anything need to exist, we should all just drink water.

29. nickdank

nickdank Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2014 New Jersey

barleywine. I don't understand what it is about them that I don't like. Maybe the sweetness? I always end up having that shudder-like-I-just-drank-cough-syrup reaction.

30. mtgwi

mtgwi Initiate (91) Apr 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

I 2nd the dogfish head 61 =grapey garbage
    Also agree on pumpkin beers except for sasquatch by milwaukee brewing company they add sweet potato and mellows out some of the pumpkin flavor

31. RickBelgique

RickBelgique Initiate (62) Jul 16, 2014 Illinois

Anything Southern Tier. Every beer of theirs that I've tried has a weird, funky undercurrent of a taste that I just can't get past. For me, I have yet to see the attraction of ST.

Robdiesel21 likes this.
  32. Zimbo

Peanut butter beers.

33. ianous

ianous Initiate (79) Oct 26, 2013 Connecticut

No kidding, big fan of Dales Pale Ale.

34. CorporalKarel

CorporalKarel Initiate (50) Feb 8, 2014 Nebraska

I haven't been able to stomach Belgian Style IPA's. I just don't like that combination. I've had some poor beers, but Le Freak from Green Flash is the only beer that I had to pour down the drain.

I don't have a taste for sours yet, but I'm still trying them from time to time. I did enjoy Pina Agria from Odell, so I think sours still have a chance with me, but it's not a style I get excited about right now.

35. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,027) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Lagers. All of 'em. Fortunately, we have a choice to not drink the ones we don't get. THE END.

Bitter_Better likes this.
  36. RLVineh

RLVineh Initiate (136) Jun 21, 2014 California
    Trader

Sculpin, I don't understand the love. One of the most puzzling beers to me, its good, not great. I personally thing Big eye is a better IPA. Also, 15-17 for a 6 pack, no thank you

37. October

October Initiate (103) Jul 10, 2015 Pennsylvania

I have some friends who absolutely rave over Sweet Baby Jesus. To me it just tastes artificial.

Shroud0fdoom and Zimbo like this.
  38. Zimbo

Sounds familiar. A lot of folks here rave about the peanut buttery Omnipollo /Buxton Yellow Belly too and I don't get it either.
    I love peanut butter of all types but it just doesn't belong in beer.

October likes this.
  39. abagofit

abagofit Initiate (174) Oct 31, 2014 Massachusetts

Any spicy beer. I love spicy food, but spicy beer doesn't work for me.

40. JLaw55

JLaw55 Meyvn (1,382) Jul 10, 2014 Missouri
    Society

Style... treatment... it really doesn't matter. Analyzing the term I used is trivial and distracts from my point. I dislike anything aged in whisky or bourbon barrels. Everything I have had with this treatment has been a stout. I do enjoy stouts, but not when barrel aged. I also can appreciate and enjoy a good scotch, but it doesn't need to be mixed with beer.

Not all barrel aging is bad though. I have had barrel aged saisons and wits that were quite delicious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.