Beers you miss

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RacerX5k, Aug 10, 2019.

1. RacerX5k

RacerX5k Disciple (349) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Or aren't distributed any more. Maybe some day I will make a trip to Williamsburg VA to enjoy my favorite all time favorite beer Alewerks BBP (look it up) or maybe I won't ... What I do know is this beer was actually distributed to Philly circa idk 2011 - 2012? And in 2014 I could travel to DC / Northern VA and get it by the case So here we go ... it's just a list of things I miss, tell me yours.

the mentioned above.
    2014 Rapadou. See my review, I think it's one of my best. Eastern Shore, MD. duh.
    Weyerbacher Slam Dunkel (read the reviews or at least mine).
    Sam Adams Double Bock. yea.
    Weyerbacher Double Simcoe. yea.
    Weyerbacher unfiltered Double Simcoe. This was a great cork and cage for $7,
    Weyerbacher Double Simcloud. In the beginnings of the stupid NE IPA craze this was actually amazing. A one off I was glad to have tried.
    Any 2012 Bourbon County, the greatest beer of all time.

Have a great Saturday dinner everyone. Yes, of course. I'm bored.

#1 RacerX5k, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    cjgiant, tzieser, FonyBones and 10 others like this.
  2. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Disciple (393) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I miss anything from @CapeMayBrewCo since I can't get it where I live. Really enjoy their beers. Makes our annual vacation that much better.

CapeMayBrewCo, Premo88, pat61 and 2 others like this.
  3. JohnnyHopps

JohnnyHopps Poo-Bah (2,120) Jun 15, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Great Thread!

New Holland Charkoota Rye
    Dogfish Head Sah’ tea
    Shorts Spruce Pilsner

Immediately come to mind.

4. RacerX5k

RacerX5k Disciple (349) Feb 11, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I grew up at the Jersey shore. We vacation Wildwood Crest. We love Cape May and I had their lager today, it was amazing.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  5. rgordon

rgordon Savant (959) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Young's Oatmeal Stout. It is likely my favorite all-time beer. Timothy Taylor Landlord is up there. I can't find it around here now. And Klaster, a fine Czech beer, that was redirected for Asian distribution. Also, Brakspear Bitter.

Bitterbill, MikeWard, Premo88 and 3 others like this.
  6. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (114) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Any and all Black/Cascadian IPAs that were in wide distribution.
    (I'm sure you guys are going to get tired of me saying this in every similar thread. I don't care, I'll shut up when they make a come back or sooner if any traders can come through.)

7. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (429) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Mine’s easy - Alpine Nelson - destroyed by the GreenFlash merger/buy out.

8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,330) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I really enjoyed New Belgium Somersault and sunshine wheat.

9. ichorNet

ichorNet Meyvn (1,076) Mar 16, 2010 Massachusetts

Wow, bringing me back to the first time I ever had Weyerbacher Double Simcoe on tap at Yard House Fenway in Boston in like 2011... nice. I recall I was there to go see Volbeat with a friend of mine back then at the House of Blues. I'm not sure the beer would stand up to criticism these days if it were kept the same, but it was certainly an aggressive and intense beer back then!

Remember Riserva from the same brewery? Yikes, that one could get super acetic and enamel-peeling when it wanted to. I actually kinda miss Weyerbacher's stupid experimental stuff. I'm sure I'll think of more to post here as the night goes on. Good thread.

10. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (1,967) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I miss being able to buy Stone Berlin IPA and Arrogant Bastard at least halfway fresh...

11. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (276) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

I never got to try it, but miss seeing Beamish stout around here

12. RedEcho

RedEcho Initiate (62) Oct 23, 2012 Massachusetts

Pretty Things St. Boltolph's Town, specifically.

Pretty Things in general...

13. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (713) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Love Riserva

Remember idiots drool?

I miss everything I had from New Glarus. Great beer at greater prices.

Fear of a Brett planet.....gone....emailed over a month ago and got no reply about if/when the beer will come back. Just another place I crossed off my list of do not spend $ there.

Columbus IPA from 7-8 years ago, maybe longer.

21st Amendment .....back in black and bitter American

DFH.....ancient ales

Allagash ....old HLT

Bear Republic....Tartare

Pretty things.....baby tree and fuzzy bunny.....I think that’s the names.

Probably more as well

Enjoy

14. AWA

AWA Aspirant (238) Jul 22, 2014 California

Schlitz. Yes, I know it's shit beer and probably available somewhere. But I miss the Schlitz that my Grandpa used to let me sip sitting on his dock while I was visiting him when I was like 5. And yes also, that was probably horribly irresponsible of him, but I still love him and miss him, and would kill to have that beer one more time.

15. eppCOS

eppCOS Savant (962) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

FW Wookie Jack. And if you disagree well... fuck you. -Ricky Bobby

16. JA_26

JA_26 Initiate (122) Feb 4, 2019 Pennsylvania
    Trader

May sound strange but I miss Pete's Wicked Ale. Probably because my first really serious girlfriend loved it. Lol. Man we had some good times. It also ws the first beer I tried to replicate in homebrewing. Didnt quite match it, but close enough. I might have to brew that again just for memories.

17. jkrich

jkrich Meyvn (1,187) Nov 1, 2001 Florida
    Society

I really miss the beers from Great Lakes Brewing Company since I moved to Florida about five years ago. I occasionally look at their website and realize they have added what appear to be very good beers I most likely will not taste.

18. JSullivan

JSullivan Initiate (28) Aug 18, 2010 Massachusetts

Noble Pils

Pretty Things Once Upon a Time Series

19. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,558) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Oskar Blues/Cigar City Bamburana was supposedly a one-off, and though it may still be on shelves a few places it may not become available again, which would be a crying shame. OB/CC should really consider making shat annually and expand production a bit. It never turned up here though I got some in a trade.

20. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (1,912) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

OG Alpine Nelson. For my fellow SoCal brethren, #Endthread

Bshaw22, Premo88, eppCOS and 3 others like this.
  21. Bouleboubier

Bouleboubier Poo-Bah (2,494) Dec 22, 2006 New Jersey
    Society

Orkney Skullsplitter from about 15 years ago, with the old label. The new drop has never tasted right.

22. zid

zid Meyvn (1,311) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

There isn't a specific beer, but I'm going to echo others here and say Pretty Things in general and also British imports in general. I guess I need to eventually visit St Mars of the Desert in Sheffield to kill two birds with one stone. (That's a new UK brewery from the former owners of Pretty Things.) :slight_smile:

23. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,279) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

A few which come to mind...

Surly Blakkr - not a fan of Black IPAs but this was the exception for me.
    Toppling Goliath Nelson Schmelsson - Collab with Mikkeller. Might be the best Nelson IPA I've ever had. And I love a good Nelson IPA.
    Founders Red's Rye IPA - 'nuff said.

24. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (479) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

As a resident Goose Island and BCBS fanboy, it has to be said:

Old style third barrel use BCBBW (i.e. BC Barleywine that was racked in old BCBS barrels that previously held bourbon.).

They still make a mean BCBBW, but the older stuff is...godly.

Oh, and Rushing Duck “Welcome to Duckburg.” A collab that was a BA BW/BA stout blend.

Guess I will go for broke:

Jackie O’s Cellar Cuvée 11 - a blend of their BA beers that was heavy on the BW and stout. Amazing. One of my all time favorite beers so far.

25. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,084) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

Troegs. Allagash. Petes Wicked. original recipe Field 41.

26. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (220) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

I miss Stone's old lineup quite a bit, they made delicious beer and at this point I feel like I e been burned too many times on the slew of mediocre IPAs that they keep churning out to really take chances on them anymore (especially at their IMO outrageous pricing, average seems to be $15 per six pack of 12oz). I digress

I also really miss FW Double Jack, phenomenal west coast DIPA

I miss Great Divide Espresso Yeti and Old Knucklehead

I miss Fuller's (all of their beers that we used to get here)

I miss Samichlaus, and for some reason we don't get Aventinus anymore and that's definitely a bummer

Oh, and I miss Hop Rod Rye from Bear Republic. Remember when everyone made a rye beer?

27. Donovanj

Donovanj Initiate (63) Mar 21, 2018 Georgia

macandrewsRIP, Premo88, BJB13 and 3 others like this.
  28. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Devotee (479) Apr 8, 2017 Indiana
    Trader

Schlafley makes a damn fine scotch ale. I wanted to list this, and admittedly forgot, but I suppose I can’t because it is not that they (technically) do not brew it anymore - because they do - but rather that it is no longer bottled and distributed. :slight_frown:

Premo88 likes this.
  29. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (3,450) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Carton / Barrier SS C.R.E.A.M. One of my all-time favorite collabs.
    Founders Imperial Stout. I hope they bring it back soon!
    Founders Old Curmudgeon. Ditto.

30. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,005) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

As @chipawayboy and @RaulMondesi have already stated, OG Alpine Nelson. I don't remember any other beer experience quite like it. That beer is the reason Nelson Sauvin hops are my favorite. Cheers.

31. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,038) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

FW Pivo...I know its still produced, but I haven't seen it outside of Paso in far too long.

32. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,247) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

There's plenty of good beer around today so I have no reason to look back. What I do miss is 50 years ago when I was a young chap those WW2 Vets handing me a cold Schlitz or Falstaff telling me it was the best damn beer ever. I miss those guys.

33. Thenomad512

Thenomad512 Initiate (44) Mar 19, 2019 California
    Trader

I second Wookey Jack, one of the beers that got me into craft.

I also really miss the original Goose Island Green Line. The stuff they bottle and distribute outside Chicago is not what it used to be.

thuey, BrewsOverHoes, Premo88 and 4 others like this.
  34. zid

zid Meyvn (1,311) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

This is really the best answer. :slight_smile:

hottenot, Bierman9, Vitacca and 5 others like this.
  35. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (276) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Child abuse!

Premo88 and zid like this.
  36. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (429) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

Just thinking about all the Stone beers I used to like that are gone. Sublimely; the espresso version is their RIS, and of course old Guardian. I still have 3 OGs in the Cellar. Saw some on draft at the Glendale tap last fall when in LA - that was cool. Stuff was the bomb before the VT boys changed my beer loving life forever.

37. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,579) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

Rauchenfelser Steinweizen, on tap and Tres Equis

TongoRad, Reef and Premo88 like this.
  38. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,090) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

I agree with a post here that there is plenty of beers to really miss any, but double Jack I do miss.

39. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,865) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Bluebird and Bateman’s XXB. I went thru a phase with English Ales and came out the better for it, only two places I can think of where they’re on tap only, but there’s still places you can quietly sit back and blow the froth off a Fullers Bitter or two.

TongoRad, SABERG, scream and 3 others like this.
  40. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,865) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I miss it too, for pure nostalgia it's a terrific beer, hell wish I had a few here now. I haven’t seen it in years.

And why I’m at it, bring back Michelob in its original bottle and get rid of that crappy bottle. Who brilliant idea was that, I always thought it genius that you could see someone drinking one from 100 ft away and know what he was drinking.

Runnerhiker, BJB13 and Premo88 like this.