Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Beersmith and brewhouse effeciency

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by sergeantstogie, Mar 7, 2012.

1. sergeantstogie

I've been coming up short on the batch sizes. My batch today came up a 1/2 gallon short. My measured mash efficiency was 85%. Cool. My measured brewhouse efficiency was 74.9. So I guess my question is, what should I fix? Should I assume it is excessive boil off? Doesn't make sense since I hit my gravity readings. I dunno. Should I change beersmith to reflect the 74.9 (75) so that I wind up with more than my target batch size? What am I missing here?

Thanks for your input.

2. Hogie

Hard to tell based on the info. You could be boiling off too much, or losing too much along the way in transfers. The answer is simple however, start with more in your kettle, don't boil off as much & adjust grain bill to hit your target gravity.

3. OddNotion

Beer Trader

I have been getting better than usual efficiency recently and found that my boil volume for my last batch was short by almost a gallon. In my case I dont necessarily think the two are related.

I think my new brewpot boils off more than my old one (much larger surface area), time to figure this out!

4. sergeantstogie

Thats my gut feeling too. I noticed about 45 minutes into my boil that it seemed I am losing more with this boil kettle.

5. Homebrew42

Sparge more. However much you're coming up short, collect that much more pre boil volume.

6. Hogie

How are you calculating your efficiency? If you think your efficiency is better because of a higher post boil gravity reading, but you are only getting 4 gallons, then your efficiency is not necessarily better (ie your software might think you got 5 gallons at that higher og).

As I said earlier, the solution is simple: Sparge more ie start your boil with more wort, so that at the end of your boil you end up with 5.5-6 gallons (adjust your grain bill accordingly so that you still hit your target OG).

7. OddNotion

Beer Trader

Pre boil gravity reading is what I am going off of. I agree, post boil just goes way up because of the lower volume of wort. I will be sparging more in future batches, hopefully I can dial this in soon.

8. koopa

Beer Trader

I recommend setting your "batch size" to the amount of wort in your kettle "post boil" then setting your OG to your measured OG. After that, adjust your "brew house efficiency" to the % that makes beersmiths predicted OG match your actual measured OG. While this kind of cheats the idea of brew house efficiency by not factoring the transfer loss / kettle deadspace in, it allows you to better regulate your brew house efficiency expectation and hit your target volume. Just make sure to monitor your dead space / transfer losses from batch to batch and always create a batch size that is the same amount larger than what you actually want to make it into the fermenter.

9. HerbMeowing

Subscriber

BeerSmith's 'batch size' is the amount you want to package.
    'Loss to Trub' is the amount of slop left in the kettle after you rack clear wort to the fermentor.

It's trial and error until you get dialed in to your process.

10. koopa

Beer Trader

I thought loss to trub was amount left behind in the carboy after racking/bottling, no?

Regardless of that, it's just easier for me to measure my post boil amount prior to chilling and transferring. I usually assume about a 4% loss for heat expansion dissipating and I just never leave much wort behind in the kettle so I don't bother entering a value for it. I do lose some in transfer though.

11. HerbMeowing

Subscriber

I'm not a BeerSmith authority but I'd guess that depends on whether you rack everything from the kettle into the fermentor or leave as much sludge as possible behind.

Some do.
    Some don't.

I've no idea whether I'm using BS the right way but I'm dialed into the s/w well enough to hit the targeted volumes...gravities...and the ales are more-often-than-not tasty to boot.

12. seth72104

Beer Trader

'Loss to Trub and Chiller' is the amount lost to trub in the kettle and to your chilling setup. 'Fermenter Loss' is the amount lost to trub and yeast in the fermenter.

'Batch Volume' is the amount going into the fermenter. The amount you package = Batch Volume - Fermenter Loss

13. koopa

Beer Trader

Thanks for the clarification on Trub / Fermenter Loss.

While I don't doubt the definition you gave for "Batch Size" (as it is Beersmiths definition) I take objection with the way Beersmith has defined it for a very valid reason (I believe). When you change the Batch Size in Beersmith, it changes the predicted Original Gravity. Considering post boil losses in actuality don't change your gravity (they only change your volume) changing the Batch Size shouldn't.

14. VikeMan

Beer Trader

I haven't used Beersmith in a very long time, but... (if it's well designed), when you change your batch size, it should change your OG, as long as it is also changing the appropriate volume calculations to get you to that batch size. Thus you're putting the same amount of fermentables into a different volume of water (pre-boil).

I think your objection assumes that when you change batch size, the adjustment made to get you there is in the post boil losses. That wouldn't be a good design, because post boil losses should not be dependent on batch size. (They should be constants (or nearly so), given the same brewhouse equipment and hop schedule.)

15. koopa

Beer Trader

That's a good way to look at it and considering I have never really focused on inputting my actual volume calculation presets it is very likely to be what is happening. Thanks for that!

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe