Asia Beijing and Xi'an

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by Stevedore, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (3,388) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I'll be headed to Beijing and Xi'an for a week next week. Mostly we will be doing a whirlwind tour of the historical sites and stuffing our faces with delicious Chinese food, but I would love to know where the best places are to sample the better local offerings in these two cities. Even if its liquor stores and I have to drink them in the hotel room; I would still like to try a smattering of different styles.

I did a search and there's only two relevant threads from the last two years; most of the threads have to do with Shanghai. I am not expecting Cantillon on the shelf or anything (though these are welcome), but would be interested in the local beer scene!

Gan bay!

2. kitch

kitch Champion (824) Sep 24, 2014 Hong Kong
    Subscriber

In Beijing I would suggest Great Leap (3 locations), Jing-A (京A) and Slow Boat.

As for Xian, unfortunately I haven't been before.

gabeosx likes this.
  3. Stevedore

Beer Trader

I'll be sure to check out these three. I will probably need to bring a couple cans of Heady at this rate. Happy to share with anyone locally at these 3 places you listed above.

4. Stevedore

Beer Trader

Okay, so I just got back. Was able to visit three places in Beijing and Xi'an.

Slow Boat- I visited the taproom (not the brewery in Soho), and it was in a dark alleyway, haha. But it had a nice cozy feel to it, and the beers were solid. I liked the Mosaic IPA; the Monkey Fist was alright and they were all out of the Imperial Vanilla Stout, which I'd like to have tried.

JingA- Went to the taproom in Soho, that place is crazy at night! Managed to down a couple pints; I think the Airpocalypse tasted like a sweeter Pliny the Elder; it was on the sweeter side but fairly fruity. Good beer. Oatmeal vanilla stout was solid, crushable and I'd drink it regularly if it were local, even though there wasn't much vanilla to be seen. The vibe of the place is cool, and the service was good.

Near Wall Bar in Xi'an- affiliated with Xi'an Brewery; I think this place impressed me more than the others. I really liked their Citra IPA; it's pretty balanced and reminds me of a slightly sweeter Zombie Dust. Easy to kill one of these tall glasses (I think 16oz?). I liked the Coffee Stout as well. Not so much the Classic Wit. Milk Stout was not bad. Location along the South Gate was awesome as we were staying near the South Gate. I much preferred the outdoor seating to the indoor seating, however- lots of smoke and loud music inside, depends on what your jam is.

TL;DR: If anyone goes to Beijing and Xi'an, I recommend going to JingA and Near Wall Bar, respectively if you are going to see just one brewery. Hope this helps someone out in the future, as I was kind of shooting in the dark on this trip!

5. Koen1987

Koen1987 Initiate (125) Jul 4, 2016 Belgium
    Beer Trader

Saw your message too late, bummer!

There are some places which could have Cantillon (or other Lambics), but ain't cheap. There's a lot going on in the more self-organised beer clubs, where they share quite some nice bottles!

NB Brewery recently opened a new bar showcasing one of the owners bottle collection (5000+), and they always seem to have a nice selection on taps (their own are standard, but other Chinese crafts).

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe