Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Belgium Belgium September

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Jeeb, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Jeeb

My wife and I are headed to Belgium and will be there from August 31-September 8th. We are staying in Bruges and Brussels and plan to stop by Ghent while we travel in between. I was wondering if anyone could offer some beer and non-beer advice.

Beer: I have looked at past threads and other resources so I'm fairly comfy with recommended bars. We will be in Brussels during the Belgium Beer Weekend. From reviewing past posts this looks like something to check out for a bit but not to dedicate too much time to. Is this right?

If anyone would be interested in meeting up for a beer or so while we are in Belgium let me know. I'd be open to bringing over a few U.S. beers to give away.

I haven't really looked at much yet in Ghent so any beer advice that would be good for a day stop over would be helpful.

Non-beer: In addition to Ghent we were thinking of doing at least one other day trip by train from Brussels (we won't have a car). My wife enjoys beer but would not want to go to a city just to visit one or two beer bars. I'd love to hear about the beer aspects but will be choosing also based on other things to do/see in the location. Beer focused is fine if it means touring a brewery or more of an experience other than just drinking.

Any other general advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    Jeremy

2. Albin

Beer Trader

I think Mechelen is a intresting city. I have not yet visited but from what I have read, it's seems worth a vistit. 20 minutes with train from Brussels. Brewery Het Anker is located here and there is a lot of other things to see.

I will probably visit Mechelen while I'm in Belgium next week. If you're in brussels the 1st september we could maybe meet up and share a beer or two? Anything you want from Sweden?

3. doopiedoopiedoo

Brugge is also great town to visit. Very touristy but that is for a reason. Beautiful old city.

4. maximum12

Beer Trader

Ghent is a great choice, & very easy to get to by train. We did a day-trip there in July & I'd highly recommend it. Beautiful city, & the city center has more cathedrals per square foot than any city I've ever seen (if you're into them, & I love them). Gravensteen Castle was also very cool, mostly because it's self-guided, & you can wander just about everywhere at your own speed (but skip the god-awful, cheesy, Renaissance Festival "guide").

We walked to a brewpub called Gruut. The beer was interesting, some good, some not so much. It's tucked away off a main drag, but is worth a stop. Very cool place with a little 'stream' running right through the middle of it.

5. belvedere86

Beer Trader

Ypres might be nice if you are interested in World War I & II. Or you could go to the North Sea (Ostend is easy accessible by train and quite big if you love walking around and shop.

6. ManforallSaisons

Some other good day trips from Brussels would be Antwerp (stylish city, great old art, incl. Rubens house, Kulminator bar), Leuven (classic Flemish gothic center, university-town vibe), Tournai (grand ol' cathedral and lots of great brewing in Hainaut province), Namur (citadel looming the city), Dinant (picturesque if touristy river town, plenty of bars). You can take a boat ride between those last two on the river Meuse. Or find the self-styled Museum of Belgian Beer in Lustine, on a wooded hillside between those two. Beyond the border, Paris is 1:20 by train, and Cologne and Achen a couple hours away from Brussels. Oh, from Bruges, +1 on the Ypres mention, excellent museum and other WWI history.

7. Jeeb

Thanks for all the advice everyone. We are doing a tour one day from Bruges of the WWI sites with Ypres. That is very helpful advice on Ghent. I will look into the other options and factor into our agenda.

Albin- we will be in Bruges on the 1st. We get to Brussels the evening/night of the 3rd through the weekend if you will still be around then.

Thanks! Jeremy

8. Albin

Beer Trader

Thats to bad... I will be in belgium 29th-1st. Time is short and have a lot planned. I hope you will have a great trip anyway!

9. BelgianBeerPope

If I can offer you some advice, if your planning to go to the Belgium Beer Weekend ... GO EARLY !!!

The waiting times to get coins are ridiculous !

10. atomeyes

Beer Trader

11. ManforallSaisons

+1 Friday day or opening on other days are about the only way to avoid terrible lines

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe