Release Bell's 2018 Releases

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by nw2571, Dec 29, 2017.

1. nw2571

nw2571 Initiate (33) Feb 26, 2017 Indiana

2. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Initiate (83) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio

In October “a Bell’s coffee stout to be announced at a later date.” No Arabicadabra by name. Same beer with an easier name to say? I hope so.

3. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California

I'm looking forward to the beers that are part of the Hell Hath No Fury trilogy. I hope we see distribution in southern CA.

VABA and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  4. nw2571

I actually think Arabicadabra is overrated, it was just ok for me. I'm hoping they improve on it, because I really like coffee stouts.

5. KBS

KBS Aspirant (288) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Wish they would just do regular 30th anniversary again. One of my favorite from them, especially fresh. Adding the cherry will be a novelty but probably nothing I’d want to buy a bunch of. Hoping they add BA 30th as a silent release like Black Note and BA Expo.

6. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,200) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

I'm with you there. The 30th Anniversary is one of the best imperial stouts I've ever had. An unadulterated, well-crafted imperial stout. Please make it again (soon!), Larry.

TonyLema1, JMN44, Gemini6 and 9 others like this.
  7. beerhan

beerhan Zealot (568) Apr 28, 2010 Ohio

Does this mean no smitten valentines this year?

Gemini6 likes this.
  8. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Defender (640) May 10, 2014 Ohio

I think you mistook what they wrote: its not 30th Anniversary with cherries, it's gonna be a special 30th Anniversary edition of Cherry Stout.

9. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,517) May 7, 2015 Florida

I love Traverse City Cherries!!!

10. KBS

KBS Aspirant (288) Apr 25, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Ah yes, reading comprehension a little lacking on that one.

Brolo75 and chrismattlin like this.
  11. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (56) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan

Replace SMITTEN with a SOUR? WTF BELLS?

eppCOS, Gemini6 and scottakelly like this.
  12. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Crusader (766) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

The 30th Anny Cherry stout Reserve is gonna be a must have for me! And really excited for the Hell Hath No Fury series.

Brolo75 likes this.
  13. cmukid87

cmukid87 Aspirant (239) Jan 30, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

I'll just be keeping my eye out around BA Expo release time. Best beer of 2017 for me.

Number1Framer likes this.
  14. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (471) May 9, 2007 Ohio

Smitten is one of my favorite pale ales. Sorry to see it go.

Gemini6 likes this.
  15. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (515) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

I have to say I never was a fan of Bells Rye Smitten or Arabacadbra or their Java stout so really not disappointed to see them go. However Bells has been making some pretty good sours one for instance was their kiwi gose so I look forward to this sour around the time I pick up some Hopslam. And as far as the coffee stout, I hope they end up bottling their Bourbon Barrel Aged Coffee's On Stout or Traverse City Whisky Stout. These are ones I'd like to see brought to the table and if so I don't think any of us will be disappointed.

16. darklord2011

darklord2011 Initiate (146) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana

Was just at the store picking up a couple things for tomorrow night and stumbled on 4 packs for BA Cherry Stout. Pretty pumped about it.

chrismattlin and bbtkd like this.
  17. nw2571

Got some this weekend... Those cherries are cloying. I was disappointed.

18. darklord2011

darklord2011 Initiate (146) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana

Really? I think I paid a pretty penny for the 4 pack too. :slight_frown:

nw2571 likes this.
  19. nw2571

Me too. I'm going to age mine and hope the cherries fade. YMMV.

darklord2011 likes this.
  20. chrismattlin

chrismattlin Defender (640) May 10, 2014 Ohio

I would have to disagree. I thought all the flavors were perfectly balanced.

21. Phoodcritic

Phoodcritic Crusader (710) Jul 3, 2014 Michigan
    Premium Trader

Loved it!

TheeWarPig, chrismattlin and Zaphog like this.
  22. foundersasap

foundersasap Aspirant (249) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

May need to re-mortgage the farm in September with those releases. Outstanding brewery!

23. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Aspirant (292) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

Lot of cherry stouts and coffee stouts

I get they grow cherries near by, but 3 stouts plus pooltime ale?

24. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (655) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I have never got the regular Cherry stout to fade, even after a few years its still right there. I like cherry and but for the $ I would buy this a lot

Enjoy

25. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Crusader (729) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

hell yeah

26. Junior

Junior Disciple (323) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Has anyone heard what happened to these? Road to Hell was supposed to be a July release, according to the calendar. I got kind of busy and forgot about it. I haven't read anything about it and the beer is not listed here.

AyatollahGold likes this.
  27. nw2571

Good catch. I didn't see any and it isn't on Untappd either. I was at the Eccentric Cafe at the end of July, again, no dice.

I was able to try Double 2 Hearted for the first time though... yowza!

Lahey and Junior like this.
  28. Junior

Junior Disciple (323) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I was really looking forward to these. I started to get into Belgian dark ales in the last year or so. I am guessing these are a no go at this point.

About 2 years ago I drove to Kalamazoo on a day that Black Note released. I arrived at the General Store somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes after the last bottle was sold. I sat down at the bar with my brother-in-law and we ordered a beer. About half way through that first glass Double Two Hearted went up on the board. The one saving grace from that trip. That and having a few beers with my brother-in-law.

nw2571 likes this.
  29. Blogjackets

Blogjackets Initiate (83) Nov 22, 2017 Ohio

Funny how things go. I was at Bell’s store last month and they had singles of Black Note. I have never seen it on store shelves in our area. Not once. Luckily Winking Lizard had bottles to drink at their restaurants this year. Didn’t see Double Two Hearted but the Anniversary Cherry Stout Reserve had me giggling like a school boy. Love that one.

nw2571 and Junior like this.
  30. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,442) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I'm just super eager for that American Wheat IPA that's coming. I bet it's going to be goooood.

ESHBG likes this.
  31. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (360) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I tried double two hearted in my area (not the brewery) and didn't really care for it. Seemed more like triple two hearted, too hot and boozy to compare to the original. Most ipas over 10% start getting too sweet for me.

Blogjackets likes this.
  32. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (446) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

I was really excited for Road to Hell too. Since neither R2H, BN or BAE has hit in 2018 I went looking for approved labels. None of the three beers has had a label approved in 2018. I don't think that guarantees they won't be released, but it doesn't seem to look good at the moment.

AyatollahGold likes this.
  33. surfcaster

surfcaster Crusader (740) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Premium Trader

Funny folks takes on Smitten

I find it to be exactly what I expected over the years>>clean with a soft clean feel and that dry crisp finish— wish we could still get it. Not the “in” thing but well made.

34. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (221) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

That's how I felt about The Oracle. The price of it in my area is ridiculous so it's not really moving and one ended up in the singles section so I tried it, one and done for me.

35. smutty33

smutty33 Defender (672) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut

Bells started distro. here a couple months back and I'm told there doing very well so far. I'm a big fan of rye, would of loved to have tried Smitten. Sounds like a nice, tasty summer crusher to me.

Cheers

36. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (88) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois

I loved Smitten. Great rye flavor. It was a late winter release and my favorite Bell's seasonal. I don't understand why Oberon is so popular and Smitten is being replaced, because Oberon is one of the very few craft beers I actually find gross. Larry's is good, but I miss Smitten.

denver10, archiebunkerjr and bret717 like this.
  37. BenHoppy

Oracle was one of the best beers I ever had, definitely one of the best DIPAs, much better than Hopslam, and reminded me of Stone. I'm a huge West Coast IPA fan not so much East Coast. Oracle was right on par with its Piney hopiness and what I'd expect out of a west coast IPA, so much that I would love Oracle to take Hopslams place for an every year seasonal beer.

Blogjackets likes this.
  38. BenHoppy

Never been a fan of Rye Smitten always found it gross. Oberon was my first craft beer 15 years ago and always found it delicious. But now I will only drink Oberon in its initial release in March/April and in cans. As I have found those first 3 days poured into a wheat glass from a can is a totally different Oberon experience, no orange needed. Then again the fresh Oberon out of a can experience may only be experienced in Michigan as distribution might prohibit such freshness. But man I've had over 800 beers, 95 different styles and Oberon is in top 50 when having in first week of canning and poured from can into wheat glass. Bought Smitten Rye once 5 years ago, never bought again. If I wanted a good rye beer I'd drink Linenkugel Canoe Paddler, however since Molson buyout, canoe paddler had never been the same....today it tastes like coors. But don't go dissing Oberon, you just haven't had it super fresh.

39. nw2571

Mars is also a phenomenal DIPA. Would like to see a rotation with Mars and Oracle, which seems like it might be what they're doing, every other year release kind of thing.

You're crazy, though, if you think they would replace Hopslam.

Dan411 and BenHoppy like this.
  40. BenHoppy

Mars was okay, Oracle I found to be amazing. No I know they won't replace Hopslam, just saying Hopslam is in top 250 on this site and there's lots of pride towards Hopslam whereas I found oracle to have Stone IPA significance. As this is what I want in an IPA. I don't want juice, i want a Piney hop tongue sting and oracle had this. It's one of the latest beers I've had that had blown me away. I'll probably never buy Hopslam ever again nor Mars but every time Oracle is released I'll buy 2 6 packs.

nw2571 likes this.