Bells Bourbon Barrel Black Note

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Flabbyjandro, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foobula

foobula Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2009 Illinois

Say it ain't so! Now I'll have to drive back tomorrow and return this nasty beer while I still can.

2. JohnB87

JohnB87 Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2011 Michigan

Hopefully you understand that it doesn't trade for whales... only for dolphins....

3. foobula

Hopefully I haven't spent the last year coveting Black Note bottles just to trade them off.

Treebs likes this.
  4. JohnB87

Let us pray that you haven't. They're all horrible. Just ask BYOFB; I just traded him 2011 BN+ for some 2010 Nemesis.

5. foobula

Huh, never had Nemesis, not sure I ever will. I'm pretty content with the array of BA stouts and barleywines already available on a recurring basis.

6. raymo55

raymo55 Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Yeah....I wouldn't branch out to other amazing barrel aged beers that are much easier to get then Black Note either. And if Black Note is at the peak of the beers than you "covet"....then you will live a short and miserable rest of your Windy City days.

jegross2 likes this.
  7. foobula

Well if you guys are that adamant about Nemesis being all that, I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the tip!

And Black Note isn't my favorite beer by any means, BA Batch 9000 might be my current favorite. I'm not a Bell's fanboy, but they know how to do a BA stout. I had draft Black Note with a BBQ platter and that was an amazing pairing (far better than BCS) so that's something I might do with it, bring it to a summer BBQ. I've been really into craft beer for a year so no doubt there are tons of great beers I've yet to try.

8. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Initiate (0) May 6, 2012 Illinois

Somebody took their grouchy pills this morning!

Edit: :wink:

JohnB87 and raymo55 like this.
  9. crossovert

crossovert Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

again not my pic, but I do have a bottle of it. And I haven't had a problem with a single Greenbush beer I have had and that has been about 15 of them, fantastic brewery.

10. JohnB87

I opened the growler of it with Raymo last night and it was amaze-balls.

raymo55 and adamdd like this.
  11. Bryan

Bryan Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Michigan

Picked some bottles up this morning. Stopped at Arcadia on the way home to get BB Cereal Killer and BB Imperial Stout. Good beer day

Bottles were labeled in the 1300s of 1534.

12. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Save one for me John!

13. kylelenk

kylelenk Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Michigan

Bummer. Went down to Arcadia last weekend to pick up the new BA beers. Was going to hop by eccentric but decided to stop by some random liquor store where I stumbled upon a cache of BCBCS of which I was allowed to purchase 3 bottles at $13.99 a clip. I enjoyed BA Black Note the last time I had it but still prefer KBS.

trginter likes this.
  14. MacJenkins

MacJenkins Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

This thread is getting boring. Somebody start fighting about something petty and inconsequential.

adamdd, Vav, raymo55 and 3 others like this.
  15. founder26

founder26 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

your boring, petty, and inconsequential :sunglasses:

16. DanH11

DanH11 Initiate (41) Feb 26, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Clever way to drop you got three bcbcs at a low price. I am so jealous of how good you are at beer.

That's for you macjenkins.

MacJenkins and raymo55 like this.
  17. JohnB87

Black Note sucks and is wayyyy overrated. Your thoughts?

18. raymo55

raymo55 Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I scored 16 bottles of Black Note....just wondering if anyone has cracked one yet to see how it is tasting.

19. foobula

Looks like the Secret Black Note Society is unraveling at the seams.

20. rjm217

rjm217 Initiate (56) Mar 18, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

The levitating Black Note bottles are tasting fantastic.
    I heard a new Kzoo society has started.

21. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Initiate (0) May 6, 2012 Illinois

Is anyone still trying to score 1 Million Black Notes?

22. funhog

funhog Devotee (408) Mar 8, 2011 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

23. stouts4me

stouts4me Disciple (377) Oct 9, 2011 Illinois

Agreed, love the BB Batch 9000 !!!!!

24. jegross2

jegross2 Meyvn (1,209) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

You're only saying that because you were too busy cleaning up other people's messes to go!

25. travMI13

travMI13 Aspirant (213) Jan 7, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Haven't scored any of this batch yet, but I hope to. In the meantime, I've had a Backwoods and a BBPT5 so far tonight. Being a Michigan BA is rough work.

26. JohnB87

It is true. This beer is pretty average. I just traded my Blushing Monk for a Black Note and a Bourbon County Coffee.

27. bierenutz

bierenutz Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Done that, let's move on...

28. jegross2

jegross2 Meyvn (1,209) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

No love for the Sparkling Ale 750 ml thats in the cooler!?!?

29. zieglemt

zieglemt Initiate (43) Apr 25, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I love Sparkling, but that's another one that has been victim to the bomber/750 markup. Shit used to be $12 a 6er and now it's $13 a 750. So annoying.

steebo777, JohnB87 and jegross2 like this.
  30. JohnB87

When I bought sparkling ale a couple years ago, I was honestly pissed that I paid 12 bucks for a sixer. That stuff sucks.

kylelenk likes this.
  31. kylelenk

kylelenk Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Michigan

Did anyone but their Black Note on their Black Card?

32. chronie

chronie Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Just wanna say that I got my bottles today. The Bells employees, AS ALWAYS, were extremely nice and helpful. Kudos to you guys (even though you told me it was sold out on Wed)!

trginter likes this.
  33. JohnB87

Honestly, it probably was out. They only keep a few (as you saw) in the cooler and restock as necessary, so they may have been legitimately "out".

34. chronie

Beer Trader

Probably. Doesn't phase me, just glad I got my Note!

trginter likes this.
  35. JohnB87

Hell yeah, man. Gotta love the Notes!

chronie likes this.
  36. MarcatGSB

Except for the "Note" you left me on our bed after 4 Elf, some chicken scratch about that growing thing inside me, and it not being yours...dick.

JohnB87 and raymo55 like this.
  37. MichPaul

MichPaul Zealot (597) Jan 28, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Is this another Secret Society post, or does this stuff really suck? I'll be embarrased to take them back just after taking all my Black Note back because you said it was bad... :slight_frown:

38. MarcatGSB

I don't think Sparkling Ale sucks, John clearly does. It's available every year, and they have been doing sixers one year, and keg only the next, so it's been readily available. When it's in the 6 pack, it's around 12 dollars. So $13 for less than half the beer is insane to those of us who have had their fill.
    It is a weak interpretation of a Triple, IMO. It's not traditional, they use some champagne yeast to make it extra bubbly and quite dry...

39. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Aspirant (270) Jul 12, 2012 Utah
    Beer Trader

Are there still bottles left?

40. chronie

Beer Trader

Yesterday afternoon they were at 1300. Might be able to get the last 75 today, assuming they sold another hundred.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.