Bell's Hopslam (2014)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by mjshearer1, Jan 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

Where in PA? Pittsburgh is in the midst of getting it's shipment. If grocery stores/6 packs shops aren't getting any, at the very worst, call around to your local distributors. You should be able to snag a case.

2. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (6,276) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society Trader

Hmmm. Should I wait until they arrive to drainpour, or should I ask them to dump it before they leave?

A2HB, NonicPanic and DrStiffington like this.
  3. TheRemyLeabeau

TheRemyLeabeau Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 Ohio

Damn, good looking out buddy. Aren't there multiple Hyde Park locations. If so, which location is doing the tapping?

4. TheRemyLeabeau

TheRemyLeabeau Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 Ohio

Ignore previous comment, sorry couple beers deep.

5. jaltland

jaltland Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2009 Pennsylvania

Wish I could take the road trip out there. I'm in York. Thanks for the heads up though.

6. jaltland

I'm in York and haven't had any luck with any distributors in the area. They all give me the same answers. They're probably sick of all the calls and questions.

7. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2012 Pennsylvania

Eh, the calls and questions are expected when you run a beer distributor. It sucks when they're condescending, but at the end of the day, who cares? Try again in the coming days. You should definitely be getting some Hopslam.

8. ClePaul

ClePaul Zealot (599) May 30, 2013 Ohio

I drank a 9 day old one and actually preferred the one I had in November (last years, 10 month old) Sounds crazy to most... I just felt the Honey and Hops married and made for a mellow and creamy treat... Of all IPA's 'Hopslam' really isn't known for being 'Crisp' 'Dank' 'Green' or 'Earthey' (Think Enjoy By, Pliny or Z. Dust fam) It's more of a 'Smooth' well balanced (even sweet) IPA. I assume maybe because the malt bill is so prevalent? Anyway, for those of you who havent got it yet, I doubt you'll notice much differance (compared to say a ripe 'Enjoy by' or insert any 'Crisp' 'Dank' 'Green' or 'Earthey IPA here)

mychalg9 likes this.
  9. jdaddy

jdaddy Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2010 Pennsylvania

Westys in Camp Hill is the "central and western pa" distributor for Bells. Look in the Mid-Atlantic forum for info on delivery date, etc. Forget Shangys as it is much further for you and they sold out yesterday. Westys is your play for York County area.

10. dwduncan2

dwduncan2 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2012 Illinois

Wlvliquors.com has some available.

11. Nick429255

Nick429255 Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2014 Michigan

I heard there is a second wave hitting stores this coming week. From a reliable guy. I'm in Michigan. Not sure anywhere else. I had heard a while back before it was released that it would show up in two shipments. So what I heard makes sense.

12. jaltland

Many thanks for this tip. It's a shame I haven't heard of Westy's before this. I called and confirmed that they're releasing it Monday 9am. I'll be making the trip.

13. jaltland

I called Westy's in Camp Hill and will be taking a trip there tomorrow morning to try and secure my case. Compliments of the tip from BA jdaddy.

14. DubbelTrubbel

DubbelTrubbel Initiate (180) Nov 19, 2012 Georgia

Are you from the past? That sounds like an exact repetition of last year in CF. But I live in Wisco now, where the stores are still piled with it...

15. henrichsj

henrichsj Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2013 Iowa

I'm not sure a limit was put on purchases, which is a bit annoying. LOTS of people were waiting for it and with 11 cases and no limit, only a select few got to enjoy. Annoying...

16. DubbelTrubbel

DubbelTrubbel Initiate (180) Nov 19, 2012 Georgia

I do recall a two sixer limit last year at Hy-Vee. Either way it was gone in a number of hours

17. VanBeer

VanBeer Initiate (159) Apr 9, 2007 Indiana

Thanks for that. Love Jungle Jims. Make it there 3-4 times a year.

18. GG_ALLINS_GHOST

GG_ALLINS_GHOST Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2013 Colorado

I've got twelve reserved for me, super excited, never had hopslam

19. Shluffy

Shluffy Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2013 Wisconsin

Wow. Had this for the first time last night. Pretty awasom.
    It reminds me of the first time I had Hoptimum. This was better and smoother though. I also feel like this would "age" better than Hoptimum and wouldn't be as boozy if you werent able to have it super fresh.

20. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (746) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

I just drank my last bottle from the 12/20 bottling and I have to say the alcohol had really started to take over. And I noticed more malt on the end. I'd have to say that this beer absolutely should be consumed within a month of bottling.

P.S. Did everyone read about that thing that allegedly happened with Savor Growl in Clintonville OH?

HRamz3 likes this.
  21. mychalg9

mychalg9 Champion (835) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois

I prefer Hopslam with 6+ months on it

A2HB likes this.
  22. cwehr13

cwehr13 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2011 Illinois

I had some fresh from this years batch and I still have 2 6 backs from last year that I forgot about in a box down stairs. IMO there wasn't really much of a difference and the hop profile did not die down as much as I thought it would.

23. PSU_Mike

PSU_Mike Champion (865) Sep 6, 2013 Pennsylvania

I went to the Giant Eagle Market District in Shadyside on Friday after work and they had 5 6ers left and they got several cases that day. The girl said it sold as soon as they put it out. I was lucky enough to snag one.

24. BuffaloHopFan

BuffaloHopFan Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2013 New York

I've seen so many reviews going any which way on Hopslam, I probably won't even bother getting it.

I'll just indulge in massive quantities of Sucks!

DemoniChris and jroberts8811 like this.
  25. malfunxion

malfunxion Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2012 New York

just tried to order and there's "not enough in stock to fullfil my order" thanks for the tip though!

26. cdiddy

cdiddy Initiate (57) Jan 8, 2014 Maryland

Got conflicting stories about Hopslam in the DC area this morning. The beer buyer at the P St. Whole Foods said he was not getting any Hopslam at all this year. He claimed that shipments were damaged during the polar vortex and they were not getting any.

The dude at Connecticut St., who generally knows his shit, said it was probably coming in this week.

27. GotWad629

GotWad629 Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2010 New York

Thank you sir..I'll alert my troops.

28. Downing1More

Downing1More Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 Minnesota

Also just heard from a local store in NC that it will be arriving the week of 2/3

29. Ross79

Ross79 Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2013 Indiana

For those that live in, or around Northwest Indiana, Wiseguys in Merrillville has at least 15 cases.

30. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

This beer took a little time in revealing it's charms to me. The first one didn't blow me away, but I love how the glass smelled like honey after it had been empty and drying for a while, a couple 'Slams later and I'm sold. I had two yesterday and I can still feel it on my tongue.

A2HB likes this.
  31. prock180

prock180 Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2013 Arizona

Any in AZ yet? If someone knows or has any info,if you don't mind spilling it I would greatly appreciate it.

32. FirstBrewsoon

FirstBrewsoon Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2012 Ohio

Do you know if that'll be happening across MI or just in select locations? I'm in Toledo, so there are one or two place in Michigan which are easily accessible.

33. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

I don't know about this year, but last year there was a second wave that hit OH too, but mostly in draft form.

34. mikehayz

mikehayz Initiate (64) Aug 11, 2012 Virginia

Has any shown up in Hampton Roads, VA??

35. BEERschlitz

BEERschlitz Initiate (0) Oct 13, 2013 Michigan

It's still sitting all over in MI

36. JerzDevl2000

JerzDevl2000 Poo-Bah (4,573) Oct 7, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

I'm still waiting for it in New York - anywhere in the downstate area. Anyone around this neck of the woods find it yet?

37. steebo777

steebo777 Devotee (407) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

Not in SE Michigan. When it hits the floor, it's gone pretty quick.

A2HB and shamrock071521 like this.
  38. sfeimster

sfeimster Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2011 Pennsylvania

Wegman's in Montgomeryville just got their shipment in about an hour ago. From what I could tell they only got 3 cases though.

39. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (448) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

Every year there are 2 rounds of Hopslam shipments, so anyone who misses out on the first go-around has a second chance. The second round is always much easier to get a hold of, since the hype train always departs when the first shipment hits.

Omonigan and mychalg9 like this.
  40. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (574) Mar 26, 2013 California

shit is good

A2HB and steebo777 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.