Bell's Hopslam (2018)

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by AZBeerDude72, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. readyski

readyski Aspirant (269) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Hopslam is a great beer, as has been mentioned well balanced (love the honey). In a 12 oz can and a 10% IPA, not much competition especially when fresh :stuck_out_tongue:

Junior and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  2. ThinBlueLine

ThinBlueLine Initiate (0) Aug 23, 2014 New Jersey

This year I have only had Hop Bullet. Definitely a keeper. And $10.49 for a 6 - 12oz bottles, that alone might make me appreciate it over the (IMO) overpriced HopSlam.

3. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,226) Sep 15, 2014 New York
    Society

Wait, people hate Hopslam now? Lol! More for me, then!

I haven't bought any yet. I've been broke af the past few weeks. If I can still find some by this weekend/early next week I'm definitely buying some, though. The last two years' batches were wonderful and I can't wait to try it again.

4. pro45

pro45 Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2016 New York

Just had two cans yesterday. This years version is a bit better than last years. Not as bitter, and is sweeter.

5. dlydilly

dlydilly Initiate (86) Dec 6, 2017 California
    Trader

Yes, I was able to score 2 packs in SoCal. It’s crazy how some liquor stores are trying to sell it in single cans.

6. PaulElk

PaulElk Initiate (108) Dec 30, 2016 New Jersey

Me and a buddy just took care of a five liter mini. Excellent beer. First time having it.

thebeers likes this.
  7. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (3,367) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I was tempted yesterday, but this is what it cost at the cheap spot round these parts. I passed.

[​IMG]

spongebob2 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  8. Junior

Junior Crusader (746) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

That is unfortunate.

elgiacomo and thebeers like this.
  9. thebeers

Society Trader

Yep. But I did get some Sixpoint Hi Res for a more reasonable price that's hitting the spot.

ESHBG and Junior like this.
  10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,870) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Unfortunately craft beer prices can sometimes (often?) be out of whack with the rest of the country for some weird reason (other than taxes).

Non-cheers to this Hopslam price!!:slight_frown:

P.S. My local Retail Beer Distributor's price is 25 bucks (before sales tax) for a 6-pack of Hopslam

thebeers likes this.
  11. ShawnoftheD3ad

ShawnoftheD3ad Aspirant (227) Mar 20, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Don't worry. You walked away with the better beer.:beers:

ESHBG and thebeers like this.
  12. dlydilly

dlydilly Initiate (86) Dec 6, 2017 California
    Trader

$18-20 here is SoCal.

thebeers likes this.
  13. brewaddict

brewaddict Aspirant (276) Nov 25, 2015 California
    Trader

I'm paying $3.49 per.

14. bella1956

bella1956 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2018 Pennsylvania

I had to buy a case this year even though it was 60 bucks, but it was better than I remember it being in the past. Still a really good beer with the flavors melding perfectly

craigo19 likes this.
  15. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

$17.95 here.

16. darklord2011

darklord2011 Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2011 Indiana

$20 around here at some places but has come down over the last couple years at a few places....found it for $18.99 last year and $16.99 this year.

It's good but I wouldn't pay more than $20 considering all of the other good DIPA out there.

17. JoeK89

JoeK89 Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2015 Massachusetts

I had Hopslam for the first time via trade the other day. Only tried one can thus far so need to revisit but first impressions were that it's a well crafted beer, but nothing that stands out anymore. Pretty "smooth" for 10% probably tasted closer to 8.5%. Definitely comparative to Hi-Res from sixpoint. Might do a side by side. I remember Hi-Res feeling boozier.

18. timmy2b

timmy2b Champion (885) Jan 24, 2007 New York
    Trader

Wow those prices you guys are posting are ridiculous.

Had one on draft the other night. Really enjoyed it and thought that it was a lot more balanced than last year, but it also could be that I got them later in the season last year so it may not have been as fresh.

19. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

Split a case with a pal, got it six days from can date, had my last one at three weeks old. Def expensive but really good this year. Also shared a few with folks that never had it and they were impressed.

20. KBlodorn

KBlodorn Aspirant (286) Oct 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Can't believe the hype on this beer.. I finally had one over the weekend and it's absolutely the most over-rated beer I've ever had. Not a hop "slam" by any stretch, but rather a malt bomb and I don't think the honey does that any favors. Glad I had one though, so I know never to get one again.. Cheers!

nc41 and waltari like this.
  21. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

I guess I will put in my two cents. I bought (and tried) Hopslam this year for the first time. I found it to be really well balanced, and a little on the sweet side. What stuck out to me was the heavy mouth feel. It drinks like a lower ABV than what it is, but that thick, full mouth feel lets you know it's not. I do think the honey could be dialed back a bit to make it swing to the bitter side of balanced. Beautiful beer in the glass though.

dlcarst likes this.
  22. zid

zid Meyvn (1,263) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Sometimes, the opinions of others about certain beers are so hard for me to relate to that it makes me feel like I'm not human. Hopslam is one of those beers. Beers can be simultaneously sweet and hoppy. Hopslam has a generous sweetness to it, but it's also a freakin' hoppy beer. The sweetness is just one piece of the picture. I'd go so far as to say that it's a rarity in that it's both brash and pretty cohesive considering. I have no idea how anyone can think that it's not a hoppy beer. I think it's even bold and hoppy by American IPA standards.

23. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

Agreed it's a hoppy beer, but do you mean by hoppy by perceived bitterness, aroma, or flavor of the hops? Because I believe it's hoppy in it's aroma and flavor, but the malt and sweetness crush the perceived bitterness a little too much for my palate.

JackHorzempa and drtth like this.
  24. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Agreed on all points.

Thus when someone thinks the word "hoppy" refers only to perceived bitterness, then they would say Hopslam is not a hoppy beer.

@zid

Dan411 and drh88 like this.
  25. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,682) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Just had a hopslam from this year compliments of a little gift from ma and pa. I think, as usual, it's a pretty stellar beer. Certainly one of those beers that the field has caught up with so it's not as much of a standout as it was years ago but man, for a 10% DIPA that is well balanced (I personally much prefer it to Pliny) it's certainly a treat. I think the honey lends a thinner sweetness than malt that lets the hoppy flavors (as noted, not just the hop bitterness) still do their thing.
    For whats it's worth, last year I didn't get a taste of hopslam until late April and by that point it was much much sweeter than I remembered and I didn't enjoy it

26. WIexile

WIexile Initiate (75) Jul 20, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

Ouch it was just 12.99 on sale up here 2 weeks ago....

thebeers likes this.
  27. thebeers

Society Trader

Heard from someone in Philly today who said he saw it for $29.99. We've got good selection and a great culture, but the prices are out of control (I say after a trip to Tired Hands :neutral_face:).

JackHorzempa likes this.
  28. zid

zid Meyvn (1,263) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

All three. Is it the most bitter beer? No, but I would personally say that it has a noticeable bitterness. I should add that my sensitivity to bitterness shifts... so in the case of Hopslam, there are times when it feels like it's too sweet and lacking in balance, and other times when the bitterness easily hits me. Regardless, considering an overall impression, I would never say that Hopslam did not have perceivable bitterness. I would characterize Hopslam as being a "big" beer in general, and the hop character being the major component in a concoction with multiple big players. I would assume that it uses Bell's house ale yeast because I also get the same orange character as Two Hearted. Speaking of which, I actually think that Two Hearted comes across as the more bitter beer, but it's a lighter beer in comparison. My 2 cents.

@drtth

Dan411 and Hoos78 like this.
  29. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

Damn skippy.

Just got some at the distributor yesterday for around $35 for a two six packs of cans. Even then the lady at the checkout asked me if I knew how much they were and if I was OK with that.

IPAExpert69 likes this.
  30. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,824) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I remember reading that Hopslam and Two Hearted have similar IBU levels.

Yes they use the house Ale yeast. It does produce some nice orange esters.

zid and drtth like this.
  31. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

Where's Troegs Nugget Nectar? Incredible seasonal worthy of this list.

32. EvenMoreJesus

It's not the same as last year, brah. :wink:

Mikecd234 likes this.
  33. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,142) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I never mind when a cashier does that - kinda nice, really. But then as I'm leaving, it always make me think:

"Hey, wait a minute - did I check the date code? How much of this sort of stuff do they sell if the person at the register is surprised at the price? :astonished: "

thebeers likes this.
  34. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania

Idk those 24 packs of cans are absolute fire. :wink:

35. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,672) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I was at a burger joint that was offerering Hopslam up on their menu, I passed, but how old is this stuff now? I don't even like it fresh, but I normally at least try it on tap if I see it.

36. EvenMoreJesus

I almost always have to stop on my way to the register to do this. I don't know why I never think of it until then. You'd think I'd get wise to this by now.

If I'm not at a craft beer centric place, which I wasn't, I don't worry too much about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.