1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Bell’s Official Hazy IPA now available

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,166) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff

Bell’s Official Hazy IPA now available

WHAT: Two of our favorite ingredients come together in the brew house; pungent American hops and delicious wheat malt. Our Hazy IPA is double dry-hopped (a combination of Mosaic, Citra, Azacca, Amarillo and El Dorado hops) resulting in complex peach, stone fruit and tropical notes with a dry finish and balanced bitterness.

We’ve been brewing hazy or unfiltered beers for more than 30 years. Official combines two of the styles when are known for best, IPAs and wheat beers, and offers something completely new. Official is a refined beer for those who love hops AND for those who prefer wheat beers. Not to be confused with New England IPAs, Official is Bell’s Hazy IPA.

Official (6.4% ABV) – Hazy IPA is the latest addition to Bell’s year-round lineup. In addition to draft, it is available to purchase in cans (12 oz. cans packaged in 6-packs; 16 oz. cans packaged in 4-packs) and bottles (12 oz. bottles packaged in 6-packs.

12-packs of 12 oz. cans are available in Michigan only.

WHO: Bell’s Brewery is one of the oldest and largest independent craft breweries in Michigan and in the United States.

WHEN & WHERE: Official has already started shipping and is available now in many areas. For those who are unable to locate it nearby, Bell’s recommends fans reach out to their local bottle shops directly for more information. The Bell’s Beer Finder is another good resource.

FOOD PAIRINGS

Savory: Pizza, garlic bread, roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, pickled fruits, grilled vegetables
    Sweet:
    White chocolate

The Eccentric Way:
    Fennel, orange, and arugula salad with bleu cheese; miso and citrus pork belly; a ginger mango cake with a cream cheese frosting

###

Roguer likes this.
  2. macewank

macewank Initiate (158) Aug 28, 2010 Illinois

Had a couple pints of this. Not bad. Didn't exactly blow my pants off, but I enjoyed it enough to order another.

3. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (463) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Had it, didn't like it that much... Hazy Little Thing is a better choice if picking between the larger, distro breweries for a 'hazy'.

JackHorzempa, mambossa and tmalt like this.
  4. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (351) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Interesting share, if you’ve been in any grocery or liquor store in the last month you’ve seen this on the shelf.

Milktoast75 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  5. DragonflyJones

DragonflyJones Initiate (55) Mar 22, 2018 Illinois

6. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (138) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

I may have had it in a strange spot in my session initially, but it didn’t really float my boat. Just didn’t have enough punch and tasted a tad watery.

Since I’m not a big fan of typical milky and rich mouthfeel and flavor of modern hazy styles, I thought I would appreciate this one. But I tried and tried, and it didn’t work for me. :pensive: Still have much respect for Bell’s, but I probably won’t be buying it again.

7. beardown2489

Kind of my thoughts as well. I think Sierra Nevada and Firestone Walker are the 2 I’ve been drawn to from this new hew England lite category. Brew dog isn’t bad either.

mambossa likes this.
  8. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,260) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

While 12 packs are Michigan only, the other formats are nationwide per the Bell's site. This post should likely be moved to the Beer News & Releases forum instead of Great Lakes.

9. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (93) Dec 6, 2014 California

I thought it was straight up garbage. Bland, no pungency on the nose, watery, low bitterness, a tad sweet. Just anodyne. These widely produced 'hazy' IPAs are uniformly mediocre imo.

10. beardown2489

Sounds like you don’t like the style.

11. Dansac

The NE fare put out by HF, Tree House, OH, SARA, Finback, Tired Hands, Monkish, Homage, Northern Monk, Pure, The Veil, Alvarado St, Moonraker, and a few others are some of my favorite beers in the world. I just don't think any of the mass produced ones are nearly as good. I just think the style is done well by relatively few breweries.

This is not something that generally holds for WC IPAs imo; the gap between, say, Noble Ale Works and the stuff from El Segundo, Beachwood, seasonal Lagunitas, or others that you get even at a Whole Foods is not nearly as wide.

12. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Aspirant (222) May 11, 2013 Michigan

I much rather have fresh Two Hearted.

That said, thankfully there are some well done hazy NE style IPA's available locally.

TheeWarPig and Dansac like this.
  13. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (378) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I really liked it. It’s very crisp. If you’re looking for a juicy beer, this is not for you, but I see this being a go to summer beer for me.

14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,855) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I personally have not tried Bell’s Official Hazy IPA yet but I would be willing to bet this is one reason why some folks expressed displeasure with this beer. A lot of folks when they read "Hazy IPA" have an expectation for a 'NEIPA' type beer with the qualities of "juicy" and a soft/velvety mouthfeel. I am sure that the folks of Bell's are aware of this and perhaps they should (or will?) do a better job marketing this specific product.

Cheers!

15. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (178) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

This beer is good man, honestly worth a try. Just go into it objectively, and you will see the vision.

16. JackHorzempa

Society

And what would you say "objectively" constitutes for this beer? For example, should I expect it to be like a Tired Hands hoppy beer?

Cheers!

17. IPAExpert69

Trader

I compared it to it's peers: "Two Roads Two Juicy > Bell's Official > Stone Fear: Movie: Lions > Sam Adams NEIPA > New Belgium Voodoo Juicy Haze > Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing" I'd love to blind test myself and see if these results held, but I'm impressed with every beer here outside New Belgium and Sierra Nevada.

deboy922 and JackHorzempa like this.
  18. JackHorzempa

Society

I too would be interested in this. Maybe you could do this for a New Beer Sunday post?

Cheers!

IPAExpert69 likes this.
  19. IPAExpert69

Trader

That requires me to actively stop buying new beers every single time I walk into local shops. I'm too big a fan of the unknown :grin: I'll probably end up picking up the Firestone Haze though!

20. deboy922

deboy922 Initiate (27) Jan 1, 2017 Indiana

My tastes agree with this ^^^

Official is not a NEIPA, and I like good NEIPAs more.

IPAExpert69 likes this.
  21. JackHorzempa

Society

And that will create 'issues' with some beer consumers when they buy this beer with the branding of "Hazy IPA".

Cheers!

deboy922, pjeagles and IPAExpert69 like this.
  22. IPAExpert69

Trader

Thing that is odd to me is that people always point to this, and then immediately say that's why Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing is the best of the lot. "It mirrors the style". I must be drinking something different I guess because that isn't true at all, tastes artificially sweet to me :grin:

23. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,404) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

I had some on draft last week. At the first sip I said it was Oberon's big brother. I appreciated the lack of astringency enough that I ordered a second.

24. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,049) Feb 22, 2012 New York
    Society Trader

You’re out of your mind if you think the gap between Noble and Beachwood isn’t anything less than cosmic.

25. Dansac

Actually, I had a Oskar Blue's Can-O-Bliss on tap and was very impressed for a mass produced haze. I don't know if the cans will be as good, but if they are, that's the one.

Saint Archer's hazy was actually also quite tasty on tap, but it was utterly mediocre on cans, so who knows.

hillind likes this.
  26. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Initiate (47) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Trader

27. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Aspirant (222) May 11, 2013 Michigan

The greatest challenge would be obtaining all of these beers that are relatively fresh so that one could form a opinion with all being equal. I liked both Hazy Little Thing and NB Voodoo when I purchased them relatively fresh but I could imagine them not being too good after 3-6 months. I can rarely find fresh IPA's from any large, widely distributed brewery here in MI unless it's the first shipment of a brand new beer introduced to the market.

28. hillind

hillind Aspirant (236) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

I enjoyed the Can-O-Bliss I had that was canned. I also enjoyed Victory Cloud Walker a great deal for a larger brewery version of the style.

29. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (143) Feb 13, 2018 New York

Thanks for joining the party. The party ended last week. Take off the mask, you look ridiculous.