Bell's - The Planets Series

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by mjshearer1, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WynnDavis

WynnDavis Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2014 Minnesota

i thought it was too malty and the finish a bit too cloying. Give me a 2 hearted, an oracle or a hopsolution anyday.

2. DevonBro

DevonBro Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2014 Wisconsin

Anyone around the Twin Cities in Minnesota know of where to get Venus? Been looking this whole month and everywhere says they are out or don't know what I'm talking about haha. All help is much appreciated.

3. Random_Lizzie

Random_Lizzie Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2014 Arkansas

I just tried Bell's Two Hearted Ale last week (a customer brought a bottle for me from FL since it is not distributed in AR) and I loved it. I am making a trip to MO this weekend and am hoping to find the Planet Series, and maybe more. Bell's is a brewery I wish Arkansas would distribute, that ale has me hooked!

4. TaylorLarson

TaylorLarson Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2014 Canada (AB)

Totally cool, creative idea. Love it. Really want to try them too!

5. SinBoldly

SinBoldly Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois

Really enjoying Venus. I think the tartness is messing with people, but the thing that's really screwing folks up is the cardomom. If you're not familiar wih it it can be an unusual taste. I'm enjoying this a lot, but then again, my wife is Swedish so I'm used to cardomom

mcrago likes this.
  6. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Poo-Bah (1,821) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Society

My wife really liked the Venus today at the Eccentric Cafe.

7. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Crusader (746) Sep 1, 2013 Michigan

I was at the brewery today and it's interesting to see that plenty of Venus is left in the cooler and it's been there for 3 weeks. I think Mars didn't even last a week at the General Store.

8. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

Missouri is yet to get any of the Planet Series, unfortunately.

9. PlatonicOtterLuv

PlatonicOtterLuv Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Minnesota

Princeton's in Maple Grove just got their alottment yesterday. Not sure if it's too far out of your way but there ya go.

Quick search also shows Inver Grove Heights' Arbor Pointe has it, Strong Liquor in Minnetonka, Falls Liquor and Chets in St Paul got theirs this week.

10. tonye

tonye Initiate (32) Oct 28, 2009 Minnesota

It seems to have popped up all over the Cities yesterday. Try again.

11. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

We saw Mars around Kansas City, maybe a month and a half ago. Right around the same time The Oracle hit. But very small quantities--most places were selling as individual bottles.

12. RDMII

RDMII Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2010 Georgia

GA got a very limited amount overall of both. I wasn't too worried initially about getting Saturn, now I'm panicking.

13. philsunset

philsunset Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2013 Michigan

I just bought two six packs of Venus at Holiday Market in Royal Oak.

14. Tylertut

Tylertut Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2014 Ohio

Wish I could still get some Mars to try, I missed it by a couple weeks. Ive got a lead on Venus I'll be following up on tomorrow. This is a creative series that'd I'd love to try all of, if only I can get my hands on some Mars. :slight_frown:

15. SweetestJO

SweetestJO Initiate (0) Jun 23, 2014 Georgia

I think the general perspective on Venus is that its nasty, hence the 77 rating. Most places here hyped it like Mars, with bottle limits and hidden in the back cases. A week later, its sitting on the shelf gathering dust with no limits. Kinda like Dissenter, oddly enough.

16. westlaunboy

westlaunboy Initiate (190) Mar 31, 2010 Washington
    Trader

I don't think it's bad, and I normally hate beer with spices or honey (and this one has both.) It has a nice tartness to it, and the many flavors are all subtle enough that they blend together in a beer that seems almost sessionable, despite having so much going on.

Dissenter's main problem is price. Two months since release and it's still on shelves here too, which is unheard of for a Backstage beer. Even smoked porter was gone most places within a week or two.

Random_Lizzie, mcrago and szmnnl99 like this.
  17. SinBoldly

SinBoldly Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois

The funny thing is the beer matches Bell's description EXACTLY. I just want to look at people who rate it lower and ask them what they thought they were buying. Bell's told you exactly what it was going to taste like.

18. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Once Venus hits New Glarus country, the reviews should be a bit more positive. We know tart fruit beer. :slight_smile:

19. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

this beer could have been better using the same ingredients but in a more balanced way. They used waaay too much vanilla and apricot with off the chart tartness. This is easily the shittiest bells beer I've tried. Mars was amazing, can't wait to try the next planet...

20. Ngntjp

Ngntjp Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2014 Virginia

TW got it Wednesday and was keeping it behind the counter with a 1 bottle limit. Neighborhood Restaurant Group has it now. Call Sherry's, I'm sure they'll have it, and support a smaller local shop who deserve it :slight_smile:

21. micromaniac129

micromaniac129 Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

Found venus at Wegmans in Montgomeryville. It wasn't that good though.

22. Bladezone

Bladezone Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2006 District of Columbia

Great. Thanks!

23. NewGlarusFan

NewGlarusFan Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2013 Illinois

Venius tasted like ginger ale was not a fan. Mars was better

24. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Poo-Bah (4,600) May 15, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Just picked up Venus for $4.95 a single at the House of 1,000 beers. Even though the price is jacked through the roof they still only have a couple six packs left individually price. Totally missed Mars we didn't get it anywhere in my area.

25. PlatonicOtterLuv

PlatonicOtterLuv Initiate (0) Oct 23, 2014 Minnesota

I agree it could have been better balanced, but the bottle I got wasn't that tart, and we only picked up those lovely vanilla beans in the nose. Interesting brew to try, regardless.

26. ColonelHopslam

ColonelHopslam Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2014 Michigan

I have a feeling Mercury is going to get more shit than Venus.

anth0ny likes this.
  27. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (784) Sep 15, 2010 Alaska
    Society Trader

At $10 a sixer it was worth a shot. Couldn't finish the first and the second grew on me. It's an interesting brew to say the least.

28. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 Colorado

Was regretting the purchase of a 6er after struggling through the first one (shared the bottle and we both had trouble). Not a bad beer, just a bit too much going on. Your post has me more enthusiastic about trying a second.

29. Snowshoes

Snowshoes Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

All your Saturn are belong to me.

30. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

Why's that?

31. DevonBro

DevonBro Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2014 Wisconsin

I was able to find Venus. I really liked it. It is definitely a different one but good. Now just waiting for the next one to come out.

32. Random_Lizzie

Random_Lizzie Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2014 Arkansas

I found one Mars and three Venus singles at The Brown Derby International in Springfield. I picked them all up because they said it was the last of what they had. So far Brown Derby has not disappointed me in my beer hauls and they are always nice and informative!

33. Grand-Raggedy

Grand-Raggedy Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2014 Michigan

Venus- no bueno.

PVMT likes this.
  34. gmag51

gmag51 Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2014 Minnesota

I also tried Venus and HATED IT.

35. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan Initiate (0) Jun 14, 2013 Colorado

After further scrutiny, this beer is just not very good. Anybody want the other 4?

36. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Initiate (0) Jul 23, 2013 Minnesota

France 44 had a couple left last night. They also had even less jesus and a few cases of backwoods bastard

37. The_Beer_Man

The_Beer_Man Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2014 New York

Local place near me only had one case of Venus selling them as singles for $4.99

38. Wylde

Wylde Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2008 Ohio

Grabbed 2 bottles last night for $2 a piece. I think it was his last 2 and he offered them to me..didnt have to ask

39. teemoney

teemoney Devotee (409) Jun 28, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

I'm wondering if some age would do Venus any good. Maybe not that kind of beer?

40. jonbonfondle

jonbonfondle Disciple (355) Nov 1, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

If you're still looking, Lake Wine also has several (didn't catch the price).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.