Best Aged Imperial Stout

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Beertsipper, Dec 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Defender (604) Nov 18, 2008 New York

I haven't had many, but from the ones I've aged, it's Founders Imperial Stout, followed by OB's Ten Fiddy. Both were cellared for two years. The other was Bourbon County. But fresh, I found it was better. What is your experience with these aged bad boys with two or more years on them? Old Raspy was also great after three years. Just tremendous. Curious to hear of your experiences.

2. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 New York

I love aged KBS, though many will call me a heretic. Plead The 5th aged nicely for me, and if course BCBS. Aged FIS is great. Big Imperial Stouts usually age well, unless they blow out a tire like the Firestone offerings (bada-bing!).

szmnnl99 and EricTKole like this.
  3. Beertsipper

Beertsipper Defender (604) Nov 18, 2008 New York

Ha, Yes... I prefer Firestone's offering fresh. What I was surprised with was Weyerbacher's Tiny. After two years, it was exquisite.

4. MikeReserva

MikeReserva Initiate (0) May 28, 2013 Netherlands

I really like BCBS with some age, the booze fades a bit and makes way for more complexity.

bozodogbreath likes this.
  5. larryarms847

larryarms847 Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2010 Illinois

Some of my favorites Plead the 5th, Founders Imperial, and Alesmith Speedway.

SanFranJake likes this.
  6. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (5,498) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

Bell's Expedition

7. EricTKole

EricTKole Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 Michigan

I agree FIS is way better starting at about the 10 month mark. I can hardly drink it from a growler or on draft when its fresh. 10 months+ and look out, I'm clearing the cellar!!

8. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

I had a 13 Expedition, it was so good I decided to age my 14 for next year...if I live til then.

9. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

World Wide Stout has a serious range for complexity with cellaring, it might take the crown. Also, Black Ops and Darkest Hour, in my own experiences, do well, most likely because of the bottle conditioning, I presume.

10. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Poo-Bah (1,905) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois
    Society

That's a good point. I'm not a big fan of KBS but maybe because I've never aged any of them. I need more discipline!

EricTKole likes this.
  11. ernieb

ernieb Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2013 Illinois

Central Waters Brewers Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout. An amazing beer that rivals BCBS and mellows over time.

12. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Wow, so from what I've had Eclipse 20 yr old Elijah Craig barrels, tremendous, like really dark fruit that really shines.

13. bound4er

bound4er Crusader (784) Jul 4, 2007 Wisconsin

I may be in the minority here but I prefer FIS fresh. Aging does mellow it but that isn't necessary a good thing.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  14. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

Agree with Tiny posted above...
    have some 2011 that is right on the money right now
    Founder's impy is awesome with a couple years..

15. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (12,206) Apr 18, 2007 Florida
    Society Trader

10- Fidy
    Narwhal
    Darkness
    Plead the 5th

16. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California
    Deactivated

If this thread catches, it can go on for pages and pages...
    Narwhal
    FIS
    Expedition
    PT5
    Ten Fidy
    They're all awesome, it's just at which point you catch them in the "collaring" process

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  17. Vogt52

Vogt52 Initiate (0) May 25, 2014 Maryland

18. --Dom--

--Dom-- Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2012 Missouri

Perennial Abraxas

19. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Defender (616) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Old Rasputin with 2+ years on it. Quite possibly the best non-BA stout to age. I have a bottle from 2011 that I am waiting to crack open during the first major snow storm we get this winter. It better hurry up, I'm getting very impatient!

Victory Storm King. I really dislike this beer fresh but it really mellows out and the flavors open up with some age on it.

BCBS..duh

While not a stout, FW Walker's Reserve Porter develops amazing over time. Just picked up another bottle from August 2013 today and plan on saving it for a few more months.

Buschyfor3 likes this.
  20. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (384) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I wasn't enthusiastic about last year's Narwhal fresh, but recently found a few bottles I hadn't cellared so much as shunted aside from lack of interest. Now I stand corrected on Narwhal. Fantastic brew.

A 2013 Pretty Things Barbapapa I recently poured was also super extra great.

braugon and Doomcifer like this.
  21. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Defender (616) Aug 18, 2012 New York

I absolutely loved this beer fresh. I was only able to score one bottle over the summer. I wish I could have purchased more.

Can you get this often near you? Looking to make a trade if possible.

22. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

BA Siberian Night
    BA Biscotti Break

23. MykeJ

MykeJ Aspirant (209) Oct 6, 2013 Minnesota

Stone RIS aged very nice

bozodogbreath and Buschyfor3 like this.
  24. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (4,222) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Stone RIS, SN Narwhal, Avery Mephistopheles. I definitely prefer to age the non-barrel aged stouts.

Buschyfor3 likes this.
  25. SteelersX

SteelersX Aspirant (274) Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Trader

26. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Ok so where's the BA Huna, BA Abraxax and the like that everyone is tripping over?

27. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

We certainly think alike! I buy a case of it every winter and never touch it until the following winter (I only ever drink the previous year's vintage). Moreover, I set 3 bottles aside every year (for future verticals).

EricTKole likes this.
  28. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Defender (649) Feb 2, 2013 Ohio

Bcbs no question

forrestbetts and boothbeer like this.
  29. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

The Abyss. 2-3 years pays off in spades.

30. mmulebarn

mmulebarn Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2013 Minnesota

When Deschutes tells you not to consume until a certain date, than that should tell you Abyss ages well.

31. jds16

jds16 Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Ohio

I age most of my imperial stouts, because I generally like them that way. To me the ones that improve the most with age are Bell's Expedition, GLBC Blackout Stout, Stone IRS. Put two years on an Expedition Stout, and there's no (non-barrel aged) stout that can match it.

Buschyfor3 likes this.
  32. Buschyfor3

Buschyfor3 Devotee (488) Jan 4, 2009 Kentucky

Bell's Expedition - with a year on the bottle it was drinking nicely
    Old Rasputin - doesn't necessarily need a year, but it was sublime with some extra age on it
    Stone IRS - needs at least a year as it is pretty hot fresh out of the bottle
    Courage Russian Imperial Stout - can be aged up to 25 years (label actually recommends extended aging)

33. firecracker87

firecracker87 Initiate (67) Jun 23, 2013 Virginia

Hummm....I have 2 bottles of Parabola from last April - wonder if I shouldn't cellar them? I hate this, so hard to know, and don't want to miss the best tasting time frame. Ugggh...

34. EricTKole

EricTKole Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2014 Michigan

Unlike with some other brews I wish I had the fortitude to hold on to Impy Stout. Seriously I wasn't joking when I said I burn through it:slight_smile:

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  35. Dupage25

Dupage25 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

Courage Russian Imperial Stout
    Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout
    Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
    Goose Island Night Stalker (RIP)

36. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Crusader (765) Apr 3, 2006 Michigan

Expedition and Stone are the two that i would suggest.

strangebrew321 and gshak like this.
  37. Duhast500

Duhast500 Meyvn (1,424) Nov 14, 2007 Rhode Island

I have not aged too many Imperial stouts yet but I loved Yeti when I let it age for a few years. It was around three years old and still had some legs. I look forwards to aging some more beers and seeing where they go. Cheers

szmnnl99 likes this.
  38. LADEDA

LADEDA Disciple (352) Jul 29, 2014 Florida

I bit the bullet and put a Zhukov away for a year and a half. Maybe the best the liquid I have ever consumed. Smooth as silk. FIS is the best for me among the easier to grab RIS bunch. It takes patience and money to do this stuff, but even a Sea Monster rears its head after two years.

39. gshak

gshak Zealot (559) Feb 20, 2011 Texas

Yeti
    Stone IRS
    Bells Expedition
    SN Narwhal
    Courage RIS

40. gshak

gshak Zealot (559) Feb 20, 2011 Texas

I've got a bunch from 2012 still, and prefer it around 6 months to 1 yr tops. Beyond that it tends to lose the complexity and barrel influence. Still a great beer though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.