Best beer >15% ABV

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Beersnake1, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rothobinide

Rothobinide Disciple (354) Jun 28, 2014 California

Black Market's Black Hole Sun is a non-BA stout right at 15% and it is velvet brownie dough awesome. Also, it convincingly hides the booze and is way too easy to drink.

the_trystero likes this.
  2. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (6,080) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

Have not had too many that high, but 120 minute is my favorite.

3. Fox82791

Fox82791 Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2014 New York

Grey monday, amazing. the bruery in general does some excellent high abv beers

4. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,672) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

World Wide Stout is one of the best big-booze brews I've ever had. 120 minute is pretty excellent, as well.

Big BA brews by the Bruery are also awesome (I'm thinking Black Tuesday and Mocha Wednesday, both of which were sublime).

Utopias is pretty delicious.

5. TankerSteve

TankerSteve Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2014 Washington

5 monks. I really like the spice high alcohol beers have for some reason.

6. csustar001

csustar001 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 New York

Utopia being the highest abv beer I've had...still cherishing the last few ounces left in the bottle. After that I would vote tweak. Need to crack open Black Tuesday because I'm sure it's up there in my personal ratings.

NickyDee21 likes this.
  7. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Devotee (465) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

Fruet is so good. For some reason I'm sure Bois and Sucre are mimicked recipes but Fruet is just way smoother and complex.

8. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,438) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

The only one I've had is 120 Minute. Even if I had regular access to it, I'm not sure I'd have it in my beverage fridge, except for very special occasions.

9. Bsetz

Bsetz Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 Missouri

Another vote for Tweak here. Couldn't believe that beer was over 17%, very smooth for that high of abv. I also loved Prairie Pirate Bomb even though I think it may have been just a tad under 15%.

10. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Oregon

Bois, Black Tuesday, Grey Monday, Sucre. All Bruery Damn this Place make the Grade and More.

11. NickyDee21

NickyDee21 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'd have to go with Tweak. I had Black Tuesday and Chocolate Rain for the first time recently. Both were tasty, but there is something about them that prevents them from being as good as i thought they would be. They both have the same profile as WWS to me, which is not a bad thing. I thought maybe it was the super high ABV and all the barley that goes into them that gives them that profile. They were also not truly opaque and had almost a brownish hue to them. Then, I had Tweak. To me, Tweak has the classic stout profile. It is rich and has some creaminess to it and is completely black. I guess I was expecting something more along those lines from the Bruery's beers. Can someone enlighten me as to what makes Black Tuesday that way? I assume barley, as stated before, only because it reminds me so much of WWS (a beer that brags about excessive barley use).

12. MykeJ

MykeJ Aspirant (223) Oct 6, 2013 Minnesota

DFH 120 minute

13. beergorrilla

beergorrilla Meyvn (1,355) Feb 21, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

I think black damnation v double black is up there for me. Such a easy drinker for 26%.

MarshallBirdhouse likes this.
  14. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (152) May 5, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I've only had 120 and world wide stout. they're alright. It's just not my cup of tea to have such high ABV. i just don't like anything really over 15%, that's as high as i go.

15. shelt11

shelt11 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2015 Ohio

I drank a DFH Fort (2009) in January, and it was fantastic.

Good to know that A Deal with the Devil is solid...I have one sitting that I think I'll open soon.

16. arizcards

arizcards Poo-Bah (4,543) Jun 11, 2003 Arizona
    Society

Drink it now, the coffee forward blend makes this brew!

Donco likes this.
  17. arizcards

arizcards Poo-Bah (4,543) Jun 11, 2003 Arizona
    Society

Just had a relatively fresh (10-28-14 bottle date) Tweak today and given my limited experience in this genre it is tops in my rating book! The coffee forward blend with the barrel was well played! I enjoyed a 7 year old 120 minute IPA which was wonderful and enjoyed an aged Mephistopheles Stout that were runner-ups to Tweak. Raison D'Extra aged was much better than the fresh. DFH Olde School fresh was not great by any stretch. Will need to buy another to age for 5 years or so. Fort was a struggle from what I remember given the 750 ml format and will not purchase again. I do have a 2008 and 2013 WWS that I need to try soon! Cheers! Tommy Mac.

Beersnake1 likes this.
  18. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,036) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Seriously are you really going to reconsider moving just because you can't get a 15% pus ABV beer?
    Personally if that's true I think you have major issues. I have family in NC and there are many fantastic brews you can get there on a regular basis we can't get up here in New England. Get real my brother.

AntG21 and dogbert617 like this.
  19. Dicers

Dicers Poo-Bah (1,754) Sep 2, 2012 Colorado
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Utopia

/thread

20. RJM1978

RJM1978 Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2014 Nevada

World Wide Stout and Avery Tweak followed closely by 120 Minute.

21. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Poo-Bah (2,659) Jan 31, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I too am in love with most of the ones you mentioned...particularly the Black Tuesday variants.

As for American Barleywines, Founder's Bolt Cutter. English Style Barleywine, Mother of All Storms and BCBBW.

If you haven't had the pleasure, I recommend seeking out any variant of Alesmith's Speedway Stout (all of the BA coffee variants are stellar).

Beersnake1 likes this.
  22. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (12,932) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

Was Tweak over 15%? That was damn good.

23. Casey3236

Casey3236 Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

The DFH stuff 120 minute, world wide stout, olde school Barleywine. I'm a big fan of Fort, a 18% quad with raspberries from DFH. Also, the Mikkeller Foret series is very good at 19.3%. Don't know why it isn't rated much higher than it is.

24. stuckeyj64

stuckeyj64 Initiate (93) Mar 22, 2012 Indiana

1) Bruery Black Tuesday, 2) DFH 120 Minute

25. semibaked

semibaked Zealot (585) Mar 27, 2007 Illinois

2003 Sam Adams Utopias

26. dogbert617

dogbert617 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Illinois

Wouldn't mind trying Utopias(as to what 2 mentioned above), but I've heard those are super expensive, if you even see one store selling it. Guess I'd have to go to something like a bottle share event, to EVER have a chance of trying it.

I've had several of the Bourbon County beers, and while they are a hair short of 15% ABV, they were all awesome. I badly want to try the 19% Not Your Father's Root Beer(from Small Town Brewery based in Wauconda, IL), but only something like less than a dozen bars and restaurants in the Chicago area serve that on draft. There's also 5 and 10% versions of it, that are much more common.

27. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (665) Mar 28, 2009 California

Make that two

28. Tylertut

Tylertut Initiate (0) Oct 20, 2014 Ohio

I can't choose between a couple different locations so it's coming down to little things like that. I've got the whole country to choose from when it comes to location, why not move to a place that had everything I want? High ABV beers included.

29. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Poo-Bah (2,036) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Please do me a favor though you don't know me from a hole in the wall. Don't base your decision on this....

AntG21 likes this.
  30. NickyDee21

NickyDee21 Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2011 Pennsylvania

Forgot about Bozo Beer! Amazing Brew. Definitely up there with Tweak

Greywulfken likes this.
  31. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2013 Florida

I had WWS and KBS on tap side by side last year and picked WWS for the second serving.....

32. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

Mikkeller French Oak Series 19.3% Barleywine

33. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,633) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

Horizon Tokyo Black was very good.

34. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,971) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Society

DFH Fort.

35. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (786) Sep 15, 2010 Alaska
    Society Trader

Ortmans Red Iron Tavern in Woodstock, IL has 19.5% NYFRB on tap every Tuesday!

36. ipc2000

ipc2000 Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2012 New York

Tweak...and the last time I had 120, I really enjoyed it. Man...Tweak!

37. MarshallBirdhouse

MarshallBirdhouse Devotee (401) Feb 19, 2013 South Carolina
    Trader

Black Tuesday, Uncle Jacobs Stout (blew Tweak away IMO), and ADWTD (batch 1)

38. maxifunk777

maxifunk777 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2015 California

Thus Far

North Coast Cellar's Reserve 2011
    Bruery Melange #3
    Bruery Mocha Wednesday
    Hand roll #3 PC
    Bruery Sucre
    Bruery Bois

Just off the top of my head from the beers
    i've drank over the last month.
    I did not like a single Avery beer I've tried yet.

39. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

My highest rated over 15% ABV is Black Tuesday.

40. the_trystero

the_trystero Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2013 California

Really nice job on that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.