Best beer bars in Sonoma?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Rzzzzz, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Rzzzzz

Rzzzzz Nov 10, 2007 California

I'm scouting out Sonoma beer spots for a friend who is a well-to-do wine guy looking to branch out and try some "local" beer while in Sonoma for a day. He will not be driving to Healdsburg, and will not be driving to Santa Rosa. He's basically looking for something in Sonoma, or maybe within five miles, tops.

My research pretty much leads me to Hopmonk; just wondering if there's any place I'm missing. If there's a good restaurant in town with a nice selection of local beers (draft or bottle), that'll work too.

Thanks for your suggestions.

2. mjl21

mjl21 Apr 3, 2008 California

Olde Sonoma Public House.

rboinski likes this.
  3. bayareahustla

bayareahustla Jul 13, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Taps in Petaluma.......

4. theconductor

theconductor Nov 4, 2008 California

Hopmonk Tavern and Sonoma Springs Brewery

5. jtmartino

jtmartino Dec 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I've had 5 of of Sonoma Springs Brewery's beers from the bottle and that was enough to prevent me from wanting to visit them in person. The Onyx and Freude are pretty offensive.

6. theconductor

theconductor Nov 4, 2008 California

That's too bad. Everyone that I've shared the Freude and Isis with at our place have been impressed. Albeit they were both bottled (or sold) too early in my opinion. The amount of lactic sour coming out of the Freude is incredible. In addition to the bottled beer, the Kolsch, Roggenbier and Pale Ale excel in their respective styles. Tim brewed for Lagunitas, Stone and Russian River before opening Sonoma Springs. I find the quality of his beer reflects that.

PaulStoneAnchor likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe