Best Four Seasons Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MikeP64, Apr 2, 2019.

1. MikeP64

MikeP64 Initiate (166) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

So after a weekend of big stouts and DIPAs' I was looking for something a little 'lighter' to drink Monday night.
    I grabbed a NB Fat Tire out of the fridge and settled down on the couch to relax and enjoy a beer I used to love but don't really drink anymore but my wife loves. I was struck on how good it was and thought to myself that this is a great beer for all seasons! I could drink it with Thanksgiving turkey-have it on the beach in the hot SC summer-enjoy around a firepit on a cold winter night and it's light enough to qualify [to me] as a spring beer! So if you don't like stouts on the beach or a cold IPA in 20 degree weather what is your favorite Four Seasons Beer?

Reef and BayAreaJoe like this.
  2. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (1,931) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

All season. Hmmmm. Ommegang Rare VOS I think

3. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Any German beer, light to dark, light to heavy, works any time of the year for me. They are so balanced that they're refreshing enough in summer but full-flavored enough for winter. Helles would be my main pick, but a Dunkel or Schwarzbier might be a better choice since they've got a little more heft for those colder times.

Belgian styles are another that work very well year-round. Tripel, lambic, or saison are my choices here as they are all strong enough (ABV and flavor) to be good for fall and winter but bright and spritzy enough to hit the spot when the heat comes around.

Lighter English styles like mild (and dark mild), bitter, and IPA all work for the same reasons with the yeast and malts imparting enough character to fortify you on a chilly evening, but they are light enough in ABV to be refreshing in the dead of summer.

Finally, I think the classic West Coast pale ale (like Sierra Nevada) is the major American style that fits the bill. APAs have tons of character at relatively low ABV, and the older ones had enough malt heft to keep you warm and cozy, yet their light, citrus character and dryness lends them very well to summer crushers as well.

#3 THANAT0PSIS, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  4. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,158) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,884) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

So, Frankie Valli didn't start a brewery? Phew... that was close.

Well, he was a Newark boy, so maybe...

(But his singing always hurt my ears. Of course, given typical high frequency hearing loss maybe I can't even hear him at all anymore :astonished:).

MikeP64, dcotom, tobelerone and 4 others like this.
  6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,927) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Hard to beat that one. If Anchor Steam was always in town, that would be another.

7. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (936) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

8. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,352) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

A well made Pilsner or Helles and I'm very open as to the brand.

9. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,102) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

a proper porter gets my vote. My localest option is eel river and is plenty solid but any thing that is light but roasty and sits around 5% should work. Also happy with SNPA or Anchor Steam. But I'll also drink a big stout in the summer and a IPA in the snow and just about any other beer I feel like whenever the mood strikes

beergoot and Bitterbill like this.
  10. Kraz

Kraz Aspirant (201) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Society Trader

I am just going to pile on the SNPA train.

Endlessly drinkable

11. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,343) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

12. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (128) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Moose Drool Brown for me

13. AllOfTheCats

AllOfTheCats Aspirant (220) Mar 27, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

Big stouts, barleywines, wee-heavies, quads, porters - all year. Maybe it's because I live in San Diego, but my taste buds don't change beers based on the seasons. I don't think my opinion would change if I was living somewhere else.

I recognize that there are beer seasons and I stock up during stout season to drink them all year :slight_smile:

If I had to choose one go-to beer, it would probably be FIS or High West-ified (no longer available, but I stocked up!).

14. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,635) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Localized it for me! :wink:

Summit EPA and/or one of the various German-inspired beers from Schell's, Summit, or Utepils are nearly always in my refrigerator.

MikeP64 likes this.
  15. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Defender (654) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I could drink a Weihenstephaner Heffeweissbier anywhere, any time. Hot, cold, day night, give me that perfect juice. Another good one would be Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Meaty enough for winter. Light & fresh enough for summer.

Kb024, mkh012, Glider and 4 others like this.
  16. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

To be fair you all only have one season so you really just need to pick your favorite beer

17. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Meyvn (1,032) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Alpenflo or Pivo Pils.

Glider, HoppingMadMonk and Pete9094 like this.
  18. rgordon

rgordon Savant (995) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Same here. Three days ago it was 76 degrees and today it has been snowing. There is no beer more serviceable to my taste for all of the fickle weather, whatever time of year.

19. AllOfTheCats

AllOfTheCats Aspirant (220) Mar 27, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

Agreed! I'm from the Midwest, though. Only been in SD for a handful of years and I did not have different beers per season then other than Marzens in Sept/Oct since that's the main time those are coming out. I have a large stout collection and, if I moved back, would continue to drink them all year round.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  20. Ahonky

Ahonky Initiate (157) Feb 13, 2018 New York

I think this is Boston Lager's niche.
    I wholeheartedly agree with Alpenflo. Super drinkable, but with enough body to work through colder months. A sensational all around beer.

21. SpruceFish

SpruceFish Aspirant (210) Jan 18, 2009 Washington
    Trader

Gueuze...If I could afford it

22. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,927) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I hear ya. There's a large variety of Hanssens beers in Casper but the prices make them an occasional option only.

23. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,301) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I think a grisette would do just about any time of year with just about any meal of the day. Now if only I could find some...

Kraz, GOBLIN and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  24. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

This is a new style to me but in the last year two locals have put out versions of it. Super nice all the time beer, would definitely love to see more of it

dcotom likes this.
  25. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (232) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

I like a Rochefort 10 any time any where.

26. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (583) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Has to be something balanced and not too big/heavy. I'd go with Fuller's ESB, Pilsner Urquel or maybe Brooklyn Lager

#26 SudsDoctor, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Bitterbill, rgordon and BayAreaJoe like this.
  27. sjjn

sjjn Zealot (559) Jun 4, 2004 New York
    Society

Orval. Any season, any month, any week, any day, any hour, any minute, any second.

28. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (188) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I am also a big fan of the style but alas, you have to look around in New England as well to find any. I am assuming that is because grisettes don't sell well?

dcotom likes this.
  29. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (188) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Very Green by Tree House is the beer I wish I could drink to my contentment every day of the year, but House Lager by Jack's Abby is the year round staple in my fridge.

30. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,555) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

I pretty much can drink any style any time of the year and enjoy a well made one. Hmmm well I guess count me out as I won't be "that guy" bringing a teku glass and a corked and caged BA 14% pastry stout to the beach holding it up to the sun to look at the appearance (can you imagine anything mour douchey than that image...has anyone witness anything like this?) I'll stick with a Corona with a lime, or DFH Seaquench, or a Pils Urquell etc.

MikeP64 likes this.
  31. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,555) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

I need to give Orval another try. I've had 2-3 times, but always seems to be too bretty dry and lacking in flavor. Missing some of the fruit/sweet Belgian yeast balance I prefer. Maybe its just me.

32. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,301) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I don't know much about brewing, but it seems to me that this might be a rather costly style to brew (although it is open to some interpretation). Thoughts?

@zid
    @JackHorzempa

33. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,258) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

There is no reason for a Grisette to be costly to produce. They are fairly simple both from an ingredient and brewing process perspective.

A brewery local to me of Sly Fox produces a spring seasonal of Sly Fox Grisette (it is available now). I can purchase a 6-pack of 12 ounce cans for less than 10 bucks.

Cheers!

dcotom likes this.
  34. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,154) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I'll play...

Another La Fin du Monde vote here... if I could find it locally my fridge would be mostly it with a few stragglers...

35. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (2,458) Aug 14, 2015 Texas
    Society

36. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,631) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Society Trader

I'd have to say a rauchbier, if only because those Scherlenka canned offerings have been so incredibly tasty! Could I do a few 7% IPAs in 90 degree heat? Sure, probably, but wouldn't a flavorful smoked 4% lager go perfectly with an afternoon of grilling out? And for a winter sipper, too? Or to contemplate the changing of the seasons?

37. Dweedlebug

Dweedlebug Disciple (342) Feb 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

Vitus

Bitterbill likes this.
  38. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,995) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Find a nice Pils, it’s always appropriate. If you can’t find anything fresh a simple crisp aal works too.

39. LifesAnesthesia

LifesAnesthesia Champion (880) Dec 17, 2014 Virginia
    Society

I think Belgians or German brews kind of fit the bill for year round beers

40. Bruinsfan87

Bruinsfan87 Disciple (311) Aug 25, 2014 New Hampshire
    Trader

Personally I really enjoyed the Breakaway Rise DIPA that came out. Had it on warmer days and cold days and enjoyed it quite a bit.