Best Montana Brews?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Huffaroma, Jul 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huffaroma

Huffaroma Disciple (327) Jan 2, 2012 Montana

Just wondering what is your favorite MT beer that you've tried lately or best overall?

Favorite overall Old Stache by Tamrack Brewing in Lakeside

RWNewhouse likes this.
  2. jake65

jake65 Initiate (147) Nov 4, 2008 Idaho

Most recently Three Spirits at Uberbrew. Possibly the best MT beer I've had to date. Bozeman House Bill 400 is a close 2nd.

3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,091) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Ivan The Terrible.

LotsofLupulin and SalukiAlum like this.
  4. loren01

loren01 Champion (830) Mar 11, 2004 Washington

Obviously a ton of people give a crap about the MT beer scene...ok I'll play along.
    1. Blackfoot river ipa
    2. Flathead centennial ipa
    3. Carter's derailed

5. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Meyvn (1,471) Aug 14, 2005 Colorado

I have been impressed with every Blackfoot River beer I have tied. Never been but tired a few growlers.

GeezLynn likes this.
  6. IDABEERGUY

IDABEERGUY Devotee (489) Jun 18, 2013 Idaho
    Subscriber

Big Sky IPA is killer! Going to the Sun IPA,Headstrong Pale Ale,Bent Nail IPA are all good. The Juice Double IPA from Madison River brewing is a bomb of a beer,hoppy and packs a punch at 9% abv,my favorite Montana brew so far. Have has some others as well,some great beer in Montana for sure!!!

7. DeekNayvuz

DeekNayvuz Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2012 Montana

Rye Sally Sally from Tamarack, Tumbleweed IPA from Lewis and Clark, Single Hop Ale from Bitterroot, 2nd on Flathead Centennial and Big Sky Ipa.

Jameswoody likes this.
  8. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Champion (856) May 10, 2009 Colorado

Most everything Blackfoot River does is good to great. Tumbleweed is my favorite MT IPA and Lewis & Clark seems to have gotten more creative since they opened their new taproom. The barrel aged weizenbock was particularly good last time I visited.

I'd add that Carter's is the best of the Billings breweries. Also, I was pleasantly surprised with Bayern's (new) dopplebock Bakken Bock.

jake65 likes this.
  9. Rbald42

Rbald42 Initiate (0) Apr 15, 2008 Minnesota

Blackfoot double citra when it's available. I really like the stuff from Draughtworks. For an every day beer, Boxcar Brown is pretty good too. The distro here sucks and lots of mediocre breweries but the support for local brews is great here.

10. jake65

jake65 Initiate (147) Nov 4, 2008 Idaho

I love Carters, except their hours. Best saison I've had from a MT brewery.

11. BowserBrewing

BowserBrewing Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2013 Montana

Thanks Dick way to NOT vote for your brothers beer. :slight_smile:

12. Flathead_Monster

Flathead_Monster Initiate (147) Nov 14, 2013 Montana

Compared to most small (population-wise) states, Montana produces a good amount quality beers. As the OP said, Old Stache is good. I like Bayern's Dragon's Breath, it's an under appreciated style. Glacier Brewing's Glacier Select is a solid beer as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.