Best packaged IPA available in CO

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by simcoed, Apr 8, 2019.

1. simcoed

simcoed Initiate (54) May 23, 2011 Oregon

being partial to the best coast style I think Beachwood Amalgamator and Knee Deep Breaking Bud are the finest four (or six) packs I can get my hands on. Change my mind!

Now if Comrade Superpower were packaged I could go all in homer but ... Dauss???

2. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,294) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Depends on what kind of IPA you're looking for.
    If you like pure West Coast, then probably something from La Cumbre or Melvin. LC Elevated would probably be my pick.
    If you like haze, then I'd say WW Juicy Bits, Outer Range In the Steep, or (the sleeper, IMO), any of the Epic Hazy series.

3. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (500) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

I can't much speak to West Coast, as I am not a great job on "best" IPAs in that category.
    Juicy Bits, In the Steep*, Codename: Superfan, Noob, (RN) Mountain Haze, and Crooked Stave IPA are all excellent hazy IPAs.
    *In the Steep is an occasional release but is significantly harder to get than the others.
    Cerebral obviously make good stuff, I'm not sure what their most common flagship IPA would be.

Also pretty under the radar but Wiley Roots is starting to make some great IPAs, and Eddyline's Canned IPAs like Crank Yanker have been sneaky good.

More west-coast style but Melvin makes seriously good IPAs as well, and they are available all over town.

Pretty sure we don't get Knee Deep here, we do get Amalgamator but I can't imagine it's super fresh by the time it's hitting my local.

4. dauss

dauss Zealot (583) Aug 9, 2003 Colorado
    Society Industry

Crowlers fills all day at the Taproom

SFACRKnight and tylerstravis like this.
  5. tylerstubs

tylerstubs Initiate (142) May 14, 2015 Colorado

Knee Deep has distro here. Stuff is meh

Rare Trait from Cerebral is the answer to his question though as far as haze goes.

SFACRKnight and Dan_K like this.
  6. simcoed

True true, all great beers. Definitely a lot of awesome IPAs now readily available here in CO that weren’t (locally made or distributed) when the favorite CO IPA thread started.

More specifically I should have asked for best packaged west coast style IPA (no haze from suspended yeast or high percentages of oats and/or wheat; higher carb levels; greater attenuation/dryness [but not brut style]) available here—Colorado brewed or other. Looking for that updated crisp, refreshing, still somewhat bitter, single IPA loaded with hop character that put beers like pallet jack and superpower on the map. Buuuut can be picked up on a random Monday night at Mr. Bs or Mondo in 4 or 6 pack format.

Beachwood and Knee Deep have easily read canned on dates so can always assure freshness and at least for KD it definitely needs to be no more than 2 months old. Never seen Amalgamator for longer than a few weeks around here.

Spaceman_Jer and tylerstubs like this.
  7. chris311311

chris311311 Initiate (32) May 24, 2015 Colorado

For my money I'm a huge fan of "Bout Damn Time" from 4 noses. I can pick it up fresh almost everywhere, nice and crisp with a bitter backbone. Doesn't seem as sweet as Amalgamator. I agree that Knee Deep has been meh for me as well

8. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Disciple (346) Apr 29, 2012 Colorado

Not new or trendy, but Dry Dock Hop Abomination still works just fine.

Ratman197 likes this.
  9. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (443) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Definitely also not in the beanie baby group, but Odell IPA is west coast-y.. and the new Mountain Standard is incredible. Both available in cans- literally the best and freshest canning line in our fair state imo

10. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Meyvn (1,028) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

HAHAHA What a time to ask. This week, you're going to see all of the best IPAs from around the country pop up all over town. It'll be impossible to answer :slight_smile:

We occasionally get Knee Deep and Beechwood. They have been fresh with they hit.

A lot of stores also have crowlers of Comrade on a pretty regular basis.

If you're looking for the occasional distro west coast IPAs in cans, and not counting wet hops (like you stated in the original post) I would go with:
    • Amalgamator
    • Sip of Sunshine
    • Todd The Axe Man (if you can somehow find it fresh)

Spaceman_Jer likes this.
  11. Spaceman_Jer

Spaceman_Jer Defender (604) Jan 27, 2015 Colorado

West Coast consistently available packaged single IPA - that is pretty much right in the middle of my personal lane. I'd probably give the overall nod to either La Cumbre Elevated (or Project Dank when a new one comes out) or Breakside IPA. Although they are marketed as APAs, I'd put Melvin Hubert or Odell Rupture only a quarter step behind those that I first mentioned as they still pretty much check all of the "IPA boxes" for me and are easy to find all over the place.

There are also a group that I think are just about as good but hard to find consistently fresh. For me, Knee Deep Breaking Bud (nearly impossible around me - everything is collecting dust from last fall), Union Jack (I see it fresh maybe 4-5 times per year and buy then), Alpine Windows Up (rarely fresh), and Fremont Lush are contenders as well.

tylerstravis likes this.
  12. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Meyvn (1,028) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

AHHHHH Breakside IPA is incredible, I just wish they would date them :cry:

Hubert is my go-to pale :slight_smile:

13. Steve_0

Steve_0 Initiate (190) Mar 14, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Station 26 Juicy Banger and Bang Bang.

beergoot, SFACRKnight and ManBearPat like this.
  14. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Poo-Bah (3,436) Jun 9, 2006 Colorado
    Trader

We've had some of the best West Coast style IPA's hit the shelves in the last two weeks. Here is what I think are the best in order:

Lawson's Chinooker'd
    -I was expecting haze and got an old school chinook bomb. So bitter and exceptional.

Russian River Blind Pig
    -Still incredible after all these years.

Beachwood Simcoast to Coast
    -West coast all simcoe IPA. Love it.

Beachwood Amalgamator
    -I am a sucker for Mosaic hops. I buy this every time it hits town

Beachwood Citraholic
    -Not a huge Citra fan but this is delicious

Alpine Windows Up
    -I know it's not as good as the stuff that was actually brewed at Alpine back in the day but it is still solid.

The rest of the year this place seems like a wasteland of haze but these are the ones I buy if they are fresh:

Knee Deep Lupulin River
    -Let's be honest this stuff is old here and everywhere else including California

Knee Deep Breaking Bud
    -see above

Breakside Stay West
    -I can't find a bottle date on these and they are $14 a sixer so I don't roll the dice too often

Station 26 Juicy Banger
    -This doesn't quite line up with what I think of from California but it is kind of close and easy to get

Odell IPA
    -Same as above. When this was first released back in 2007 it was pretty close to West Coast and was priced at $6.99. :slight_frown:

Stone Enjoy By
    -Last one I had was a west coast double for sure

I'm actually looking forward to finding a fresh sixer of the retooled Green Flash West Coast IPA. The original recipe of this beer was everything anyone could want in a West Coast. I have no idea why they fucked with it but look at them now, serves 'em right. Melvin IPA used to check all the boxes but the last one I had was not right, plus they are such a corny brewery.

15. tylerstubs

tylerstubs Initiate (142) May 14, 2015 Colorado

Melvin is your answer.

16. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Aspirant (228) Jun 26, 2007 Colorado

Elevated. It is always fresh.

17. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,295) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Crank yanker and epic day from eddyline are fantastic.

Spaceman_Jer and Bitterbill like this.
  18. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Devotee (459) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado

Long time Domingo! I was pleasantly surprised to find OUter range makes awesome hoppy stuff! (Frisco? wtf? ) Haven't seen their stuff in stores yet but have had three or so different beers on tap that have all absolutely killed it.

elproducer and Domingo like this.
  19. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Devotee (459) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado

Agree with many of the earlier posters. Melvin is, IMO, the best, freshest IPA's available in CO. But there are many others that are worthy- Breakside Stay west was great, anything weldwerks or Station 26, Comrade, and I'll always have a sweet spot for Odell IPA's.

20. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,447) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Sorry, I don't believe in best but a new favourite of mine is Great Divide Hazy IPA. Only had it on draught myself but it is canned.

21. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,450) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

95% of my IPA drinking right there.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  22. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Zealot (513) Sep 3, 2008 Colorado
    Trader

No love for Avery Maharaja? I enjoyed this before I got into IPAs, back when my watering hole would get it on tap once a year..and would do my old stein of it.

beergoot and Bitterbill like this.
  23. MtnSoup

MtnSoup Aspirant (279) May 20, 2013 Colorado

I also buy Elevated almost every time I'm in a liquor store, and it's usually fresh — their spring four pack of Project Dank is also great, and I loved Altimeter IPA. They can't do anything wrong (don't tell that to the LC sour four-pack I've seen languishing on shelves).

Domingo, beergoot, denver10 and 2 others like this.
  24. Roberts728

Roberts728 Initiate (68) Nov 16, 2014 Colorado

Totally agree on Mountain Standard. Coaltrain Wine in Colorado Springs did a bracket style blind tasting of 64 IPAs and it came out on top. It really stood out in the blind tastings even when paired against some other highly regarded beers.

Also, I really love Rupture by them as well. Such an aromatic beer. Excited to try the upcoming DIPA using the same hop grinding process. The seasonal IPA Wolf Picker is also real tasty.

Bitterbill, beergoot and ManBearPat like this.
  25. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Initiate (144) Jan 9, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Coming to Colorado this weekend. Any recommendations on where I can get those fresh la cumbre and Melvin cans near downtown? I'll be staying in highland.

Thanks.

26. Spaceman_Jer

Spaceman_Jer Defender (604) Jan 27, 2015 Colorado

Those two are quite easy to find almost anywhere (particularly Elevated). FYI - the freshest of the Melvin RIPA series right now is going to be "Chuck Morris" but I also always recommend Hubert, 2 x 4, and Asterisk if you can still find one that isn't too old.

Bitterbill and Rajaholick like this.
  27. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,450) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Altimeter was great, agreed.

tylerstubs and MtnSoup like this.
  28. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (365) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

how fresh is the current batch of Amalgamator? I was in Mexico all last week and haven't been at the store I work in but we didn't have any when I left 4/3 although some may have come in that day. This is a pretty fantastic beer IMO, in terms of out-of-state IPA occasionally available packaged.

29. Justins123

Justins123 Initiate (19) Feb 7, 2016 Colorado

3-22-19. I think it’s the best out of state ipa we get. Which is saying a lot given how spoiled for options we are.

ManBearPat likes this.
  30. simcoed

Rajaholic—best bet in highlands is mondo vino on 32nd and Lowell.

31. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,294) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

That Amalgamator is the truth. It's absolutely up there with the best packaged IPA's available here...or anywhere.

32. WildDalby18

WildDalby18 Initiate (81) Dec 13, 2014 Colorado

I agree with most of what’s already been said on this thread...
    Mondo Vino has a good selection but charge way too much...in the Highlands by far the best stores are Highlands Wine & Liquors and Small Batch.

Rajaholick likes this.
  33. Ispeakforthetrees

Ispeakforthetrees Disciple (323) Apr 2, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Four Noses Bout Damn Time gets my vote.

tylerstubs likes this.
  34. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Initiate (144) Jan 9, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Highlands was a great suggestion. Got all the hops I wanted and coffee Maple achromatic!

WildDalby18 likes this.
  35. clusterfolk

clusterfolk Initiate (72) Jun 20, 2014 Colorado

Couldn't agree more. Beachwood and La Cumbre are absolutely slaying the packaged IPA game right now. Amalgamator may be my favorite IPA period. Pick up some cans of Simcoast to Coast while you can too. It's a nice crisp modern IPA.

And all of these new canned west coast IPAs that we're seeing from La Cumbre are the bomb. Altimeter is awesome, the recent batches of Project Dank are phenomenal. Even going back to Make IPA Clear Again collaboration with comrade. Also they've got a new PA on the shelves, Acclimated, that's perfect as well. All of this is in addition to maybe the best year-round IPA on the shelves, Elevated. They're killing it.

ManBearPat, Spaceman_Jer and denver10 like this.
  36. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (500) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

So I think I mentioned this in another thread. Maybe?
    Oskar Blues Can-O-Bliss is a great light tropical IPA
    Oskar Blues Steep Coast Strata is a great DIPA- also tropical, but heavier flavor than COB

They are both "hazy" but not turbid. Hazy like mountain haze from River North. In the end, I care more about how something tastes than if it is hazy enough to bring the hazebros to the yard.

ManBearPat and Bitterbill like this.