Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Best selection in Maryland ?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by SUP3RDAV3, Mar 16, 2013.

1. SUP3RDAV3

Does anyone know of any stores in Maryland beside Perfect Pour and TotalWine that has a great selection selection? Not that there is anything wrong those locations,just looking for something new.

2. aleckpa

Beer Trader

I've always been satisfied with Honeygo Wine & Spirits and The Wine Source. You may pay a couple more $ than you would at Total Wine, but they seem to always have "new" releases and great staff.

gillagorilla likes this.
  3. smakawhat

Subscriber

The best selection in the state hands down is State Line particular for foreign imports.

ceeg, larryi86, jmdrpi and 1 other person like this.
  4. tgeorgf

Beer Trader

+1 for State Line. Shawan Liquors in Hunt Valley is great too. Also, Wooden Keg in Hagerstown always has great staff and an interesting selection.

5. gillagorilla

Beer Trader

Perfect Pour is way overpriced, but their selection is pretty much unbeatable. I haven't made it out to State Line Liquors though. It is Spring Break, so I might go up or I could hit it on my way to DFH on the 29th. Wine Source, Shawan Liquors, Wells Discount Liquors, PINEHURST WINE SHOPPE (great guys and great growlers), and Beltway Fine Wine/Total Wine are the best places. Also, Harford Beverage Co. is a great hole in the wall that has no idea the stuff that they have.

6. Allsmoke

Old Line opened up a few months back. I've only been there a few times, but they have a pretty good selection, and the staff are very friendly. It's on Route 1 in Beltsville. It's only 5 minutes from where I work in Greenbelt, so I get up there on lunchtimes occasionally. The only downside is they haven't yet started breaking up sixers for individual sale. They said it would be coming, but their inventory system doesn't handle it yet. Still plenty of big bottles, or if smaller bottles are not in packs, they are available.

I like it. They also have a restaurant attached to the premises, and have a good selection of draught/firkins there too if you want to have a pint while shopping for pints

7. John_M

John_M Moderator
    Staff Member Beer Trader

The other posters have pretty much covered the best places in the state. However, I would also recommend Fishpaw's Marketplace in Arnold. Also, if you happen to be out West for any reason, McHenry's Beverage has a surprisingly good selection for the area as well.

Unless I happened to live right around the corner, I would not shop at the Perfect Pour. Their prices are very high, and I find them to be one of the most unfriendly stores in the state. However, they do have a very good selection of beer, there's no denying that.

8. scraff

Jason's Wine and Spirits is a very good store in Ellicott City. Dawson's in Severna Park is supposed to be awesome, but I have not been there. And just to beat the dead horse, Perfect Pour is unparalleled for selection. Pricing for 6 packs and some bombers are only $1-$2 more (not horrendous). It's the perceived "special beers" is what drives me (and everyone) nuts. Stateline I believe is close to the same selection as the PP, but prices are way more reasonable.

9. wd09601

Jason's is awesome.

10. John_M

John_M Moderator
    Staff Member Beer Trader

As someone who lived on the West side for the past 5 years, I feel as if I have to chime in about Jason's. It's a nice enough store, and as it was close to work I'd stop by from time to time, but in no way does it have anything like the selection you can find at State Line, PP, Shawan, TW, Honeygo and Fishpaws. It's a store I'd recommend if the OP happened to live nearby, or was visiting family or friends out that way, but God knows I would not recommend that anyone go out of their way to visit Jason's.

Frankly, Pine Orchard has a comparable selection and better prices (they frequently run sales in the Sun, and you can find on-line coupons and on their advertisement page). It's just a couple miles down the road from Jason's, and over the past few years, I've found myself increasingly bypassing Jason's to shop at Pine Orchard. Also, for anyone who is into wine as well, Pine Orchard has one of the best, well priced wine selections in the State.

I don't mean to knock Jason's, but if the OP drives over there, expecting to find a selection comparable to Total Wine or PP, he is going to be hugely disappointed.

11. CSpoons

State Line in Elkton(kinda out of the way for most people) and Wine World in Abingdon.

12. Starkbier

Another vote for Old Line, but also the little Village Pump Liquors is quite impressive too!

13. jeevo

Beer Trader

What's the best place to pick up beer i Annapolis? And is BCBS available in Maryland?

14. jimmy666

Either BayRidge Wine and spirits(Annapolis) or Fishpaws in Arnold. As far as BCBS I don't think you will find any around ( that stuff disappears fast when it hits the area).

15. mwrecording

Yeah BCBS generally disappears the week(if that) it comes in but my understanding is that Perfect Pour in Columbia always has a pretty pricey bottle or two.

jimmy666 likes this.
  16. John_M

John_M Moderator
    Staff Member Beer Trader

Yes. I would call them to be sure, but last I heard, they still had some bottles available, for $12 a piece I believe. Of course if the PP realizes they are the only store that has any left in the area, they might have jacked the price up even more. They're that kind of store.

jimmy666 likes this.
  17. smakawhat

Subscriber

The thing that State Line I find is interesting is they are very isolated, and I don't get the impression their store is visited that often by serious beer huting heads. They have great prices being out in the rurals, far enough away from the expensive city areas of DC and Baltimore. Perfect example... 6 pack of Nugget Nectar in DC 12-15 dollars.. State Line... 8.99

Also it's a place I have gone into and found some real obscure brews and also some good gems. Mostly because it doesn't look like the place gets picked clean all the time. I think PP might have more domestic variety than State Line, but the prices at State Line are just perfect, and there's LOTS of broken up mixed packs for you to cherry pick which wont cost you an arm and a leg. Once again the import section is just what blows my mind, I haven't seen that much Belgian diversity ANYWHERE, obscure Italian brews, and this store is really in the middle of nowhere!

The place is great, but it's almost too good to be true, it's like an enigma to me why all this great mostly affordable stuff is way out there. Maybe because it's on the border? I am not sure.. or it's an entrance to a secret beer portal that nobody knows about ;)

skinsfan, DruRho and jimmy666 like this.
  18. John_M

John_M Moderator
    Staff Member Beer Trader

I think that's a fairly typical reaction for most folks visiting for the first time. The first time I stopped by, back in 2007, I know my first reaction was "well this can't be it." However, I've stopped by many times since then, and you'd be surprised how crowded the place can get on occasion (not to mention how much money some customers will plunk down on their purchases). Also, good as the selection was when I stopped by back in 2007, I think it's probably pretty much doubled since that time. For that matter, you don't find a lot of old product on the shelf (I've never seen anything that was past it's best by date). I don't think that would be the case if no one was shopping there.

I remember several years ago I stopped by right after they got in their NN allocation. They had this huge pyramid of it in the middle of the store, and I remember thinking "Damn!!! They'll have NN into the middle of summer." Except when I stopped by roughly a month later, it was all gone. So yeah, I think they really do have a fairly large, loyal customer base.

One last comment. You know I go up to a lot of SEPA events, and so I get to talk to a fair number of SEPA BA's. I have never met anyone who hasn't heard of State Line, and in most cases have visited multiple times. It's that kind of store (one that everyone knows is a great craft beer destination).

skinsfan likes this.
  19. Big_V

Beer Trader

Try Chat's in DC (capital hill). Good selection. They stock DC Brau. Talked to the owner and supposedly getting OTWOA!

20. jeevo

Beer Trader

Thanks for the responses everyone. Much appreciated. My buddy is working down in Annapolis for a few weeks and will stop somewhere to pick me up some stuff. A place in DC has some, so he might just go there for me.

21. SUP3RDAV3

Thanks for all the suggestions ! I was working in Western Maryland all last week and was very surprised at McHenry's selection. It was nice to find a bottle of Firestone 16 out in the middle of Garrett County

22. BradStokley

Beer Trader

Yeah, I saw BCBS there a couple weeks back. I think it's 2011 though. At least that's what they have in the window at the front.

23. DruRho

Yeah the 2011 BCBS is still there as of this morning. Typical $12.99 a bottle though (ugh..)

24. CraftBeerTastic

25. larryi86

Beer Trader

I really don't see State Line as being that isolated due to the fact that it is less than 5 miles for UD and a 20 minute drive from Wilmington. I would really have to guess that most BA's that live in northern DE do most of there shopping at State Line because everything there is fresh and DE's selection sucks. When they do there big tastings they pack the store.

bohollyday likes this.
  26. Jspriest

Beer Trader

27. aleckpa

Beer Trader

Ugh, I was thinking of going up there tomorrow since I'm in the area. Now my hopes are shattered of finally having BCBS.

28. BradStokley

Beer Trader

Yeah, I was in there yesterday and they were out. I did manage to snag their last 2 bottles of FV13 though which made me happy!

29. gillagorilla

Beer Trader

Ugh, I've been looking for that. I haven't seen any place with them.

30. russwbeck

No love for Ye Olde Spirit Shop? I always stop there on my way through Frederick. It typically won't price gauge and gets all the rare releases. My #1 would be State Line, though. That place cannot be beat.

Fuck Perfect Pour. That is the most expensive store on the East Coast I swear.

jimmy666 likes this.
  31. gillagorilla

Beer Trader

Yeah, but it is the closest one to me with a good selection of the rare stuff. Ye Olde and State Line are like an hour away from me, and I haven't been to either of them. I almost made it to State Line on my way to DFH.

32. russwbeck

It's worth the detour on the way to DFH. You can call ahead and place an order if you're looking to save time. Get the name of the person you talk to, though. They can be forgetful.

33. Jeffreysan

Beer Trader

I agree that the Perfect Pour is expensive, but it's not really cost effective to spend the money on gas to head up to the state line to save a few bucks on the beer, especially, when i'm spending it on gas. I'd rather spend the money on something i enjoy, like beer, than spend it on gas. I do that enough as it is...

34. John_M

John_M Moderator
    Staff Member Beer Trader

True, but there are plenty of other superior options in the Baltimore area as well. The Wine Source, Fishpaws, Honeygo and Shawan all have an excellent selection that is considerably cheaper than what you'll find at PP. That being said, if someone happens to live in Howard County, and PP is consideerably closer than anything else in the Baltimore area, than certainly the PP would be the place for them to shop.

jimmy666 likes this.
  35. Jeffreysan

Beer Trader

Thanks for the rec's on the other stores. I'll certainly check them out, as Bal'more is much closer than the MD/DE state line! I should've clarified that I do live in Howard County.

36. HipsterBrewfus

In HC? Stay away from Perfect Pour. Those guys gauge the everlivingfuck out of their prices. I like Cindys, a lot.

gillagorilla and jimmy666 like this.
  37. lackenhauser

Subscriber Beer Trader

While I live in Salisbury but work in the Wilmington area agreed. And if you sign up as a club member it pretty much negates the assinine MD 9% sin tax on booze.

cryme and larryi86 like this.
  38. gillagorilla

Beer Trader

The day after I saw this I went and checked it out, since it is close to UMBC. Some of their stock is quite old, but they have some rare stuff and their mix six selection is quite nice and they don't do the discount but price them a bit lower so people don't feel obligated to buy sixer's and can just get singles.

39. HipsterBrewfus

Which place?

40. scraff

Just to note--Cindy's does 10% off any beer on Wednesday's, so prices can get even a little bit better if you shop mid-week. They usually do beer tastings that afternoon to boot.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe