Best Value Local Pint Option

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HopsDubosc, Jul 9, 2018.

1. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Disciple (318) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont
    Premium

It's struck me that Fiddlehead IPA is almost always priced more attractively than other craft options at bars in the Burlington area. $5 a pint seems average, with daily specials sometimes pushing it below $4. Per BA this is beer is classed as 'exceptional' and I can't remember ever having a bad pour (they've really got this one dialed-in over the past couple of years).

As I travel a lot I'm just wondering what folks in other places see as best bang-for-buck quality pints that seem under-priced versus the competition.

2. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (492) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Fiddlehead has replaced beers like Smuttynose and Stone IPA as the go-to "value" IPA in many bars around Boston as well. Of course here, it's more like $7 a pint and sometimes $6, but still cheaper than most. Wormtown's Be Hoppy is the other "value" priced IPA we frequently see.

Really getting annoyed that every new brewery that opens immediately charges prices on the level of a Trillium or other more established brewery putting out top-notch beers. Case in point: Naukabout on Cape Cod was charging $6-8 for a "full pour", which I found out meant 10 oz.

Lucular, PatrickCT, LarryV and 7 others like this.
  3. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (834) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I don't know how they do it elsewhere, but here in Pittsburgh, most bars don't price their beers according to their constituent brewery. They're usually priced by ABV and/or style with the more costly beers getting served in smaller glasses at the same or similar price to pints or imperial pints.

Bitterbill and HopsDubosc like this.
  4. HopsDubosc

Premium

Totally. That's the way it usually works here as well. Fiddlehead seems to be a market anomaly, and a delicious one at that.

mickyge and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  5. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,542) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Around here, most pints (of stuff that are served in pints) are still $5, but there is some creep towards $5.50-6. Most happy hours are a buck off, and, sometimes, like during a brewers night, you'll specials for $3. That said, Whole Foods sells pints of whatever they have on tap for $4 all the time, with crowlers to-go being $7.

Bitterbill and HopsDubosc like this.
  6. Kb024

Kb024 Initiate (106) Jun 11, 2015 California

$5 pints of Pure Hoppiness at the tasting room. It's like getting a rental car and they bump you up to luxury for no additional charge.

7. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (75) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Well at my favorite local dive bar I can get a tall Bell's Two Hearted Ale, or Summit Extra Pale Ale for $5. Can't beat the value, consistently excellent brews served in a giant glass.

HopsDubosc and rudiecantfail like this.
  8. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,212) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium

I think attractive beer pricing is more of a reflection of all of the bar's beer options more than the individual pricing from one beer to the next for similar ABV or style offerings. You can compare some places to other places and see differences, but pricing within an establishment is likely to remain consistent for similar beers.

9. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Devotee (446) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

I get pints of Yeungling Lager for $2.00 at my local happy hour. That's down from its regular $3.50. A bargain either way.

PatrickCT and Bitterbill like this.
  10. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Initiate (161) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey

SNPA cans 5 for 20 bucks is probably the best I can think of outside of Yuengling specials in my area. But then again IPA heads will always suffer at the bar :/

11. mickyge

mickyge Crusader (748) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

Around here you can get Jack's Abby or Worm Town for $5, both quality brews

12. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (127) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio

There’s a brewpub around my parts on the campus of Case Western Reserve University called The Jolly Scholar. All their own beers are 3.99. And during happy hours I believe they are 2.99. Really decent stuff too, and they have a ton of variety.

13. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,168) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

Happy hours in Casper are pretty awesome. Grand Teton Black Cauldron at the 1 place that has it on draught, gets down to $3 a pint. I can only handle 1 at a sitting but it's cool.

cavedave likes this.
  14. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,259) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland

Was at a brewery last weekend charging $8 a pint for 5.5% pale ale and most all their other beers. It was a good one though, but needless to say I was one and done.

beertunes and Lahey like this.
  15. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (358) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Yeah, seems like a lot of smaller places are expensive in my area due to a lack of breweries. When you go into a town full of competing breweries and taprooms, it seems there are better prices from the competition. Best chance for me to get a cheap beer is probably a 22 oz two hearted at my nearest watering hole. They don't do much craft beer, so they don't have the prices jacked up too high.

16. Tamarack

Tamarack Initiate (50) Sep 22, 2016 Massachusetts

$8 for 10 oz of a brand new, unvetted brewery? Yeah, I would've walked

LarryV likes this.
  17. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,259) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland

This was a brewery on site at a vineyard out on a farm in the country, so yeah, its basically a beer-tourist trap so-to-speak. They do can their beers and sell in most all of the local stores though. Never bought a single one. Too expensive/quality ain't there. Their rasberry cider is really good though. Better than all their beers by a mile (well except the $8 pale ale I tried which was about as good as their cider).

Lahey likes this.
  18. HopsDubosc

Premium

I definitely make it a point to get a pint whenever I'm down in Massachusetts. Great beer for the price for sure!

mickyge likes this.
  19. HopsDubosc

Premium

For Alpine? Holy Cow. The stuff is near $20 a sixer in VT.

20. rozzom

rozzom Crusader (713) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

What is this "pint" you all speak of? We don't have those in NYC. We seem to prefer 5-12oz pours these days that start at $0.50/oz for a pale ale / kolsch and can go north of $2.5/oz for the fanciest stuff. Bonkers

beertunes likes this.
  21. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (1,819) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Trader

My local craft beer bar happy hour deal is half price for all beer, both full pours and flights. Regular prices are $6-11 for pints (well, mostly pints; some beers have 8 or 12 oz pours) and $9 for a flight (4 x 5 oz of any beers on draft). It's an awesome deal and the place has one of the best selections in the area with almost 30 different beers on tap. For example, my most recent visit included FW Parabola as part of a flight.

Lahey likes this.
  22. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (131) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Man, this thread makes me miss my travels to the Czech Republic where the beer is often the cheapest beverage on the menu!