Bierkraft in Park Slope !! Wow

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by geoffpm, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoffpm

geoffpm Aspirant (276) Sep 10, 2007 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Just spent a weekend in Park Slope and made a pilgrimage to Bierkraft. Perfect weather and the place was packed at 4 pm.

Great Bottle selection but the Growler choices were amazing. Got a big growler of Coronado Idiot DIPA that was just oozing hops, a small of Green Flash Symposium IP and tasted the Peekskill DIPA that was very westcoast like.

Wish the Growler laws in MA would change so we could emulate the incredible beer scene in Brooklyn

phooky likes this.
  2. phooky

phooky Aspirant (209) Jan 23, 2010 New York

When I saw the subject, I thought the thread would be WOW at how high their bottle prices are.

Yes, they certainly are great for growlers, but almost all bottles their can be found locally for cheaper. Though if you view it as a 'bar price' for the bottles and drink them there, it is certainly more palatable.

Glad you enjoyed your time in Brooklyn! Definitely have a great beer scene here.

mdfb79 and gregkoko like this.
  3. zid

zid Champion (847) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I started enjoying Bierkraft much more when I started treating it more like a bar and less like a shop.

Crack1Open, afksports and phooky like this.
  4. geoffpm

geoffpm Aspirant (276) Sep 10, 2007 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Given the prices of local boston based growler fills, I was very pleased. I also got a bomber size Capt Lawrence DIPA for 6.95 that was reasonably priced

dar482 likes this.
  5. Billolick

Billolick Poo-Bah (6,109) Dec 20, 2003 New York

that "bomber" of CL DIPA is actually a 16 ouncer....many places carry them for a buck or 2 bucks less then Biercraft...yes it is a great spot that truly respects beer, but the prices are a wee bit loco

6. gory4d

gory4d Defender (669) Apr 14, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

I just go for the growlers these days. Those prices are always good, and the selection can be stellar.

7. rozzom

rozzom Defender (621) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

I love Bierkraft. I don't get the bad rep they get for prices. Growler prices are excellent for NYC, plus they get a ton of stuff you wouldn't find at most other places (both local and the widely sought after stuff - the tap list for the Belgian Independence Day a few weeks ago was excellent). Agreed their bottle prices are on the higher end of what I'm willing to pay, but again they get bottles that not many places get hold of, you can drink on premises, and the prices are only ~10-20% higher than somewhere like Whole Foods. If they had a 'to go' price and a 'to stay' price on bottles (that were under/over the current prices, respectively) then that would be ideal, but I don't know what the legal/logistical implications of that would be. Being able to drink what equates to $2.50 pints of local beer on premises from the taps is a fair enough trade-off for me.

Oh and their sandwiches are awesome.

Now if we want to talk about Beer Table Pantry / Eagle Provisions, then I can get on board with bad pricing.

Davidsoul and Crack1Open like this.
  8. kennyo

kennyo Devotee (452) Jan 30, 2003 New York
    Beer Trader

never been to the beer table in brooklyn but i stop by the Grand Central for $4 train drinking beers, most of their bottles are outrageously expensive. $4 beers are better then the $2 Duane Reade PBR cans.

9. rozzom

rozzom Defender (621) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

The Beer Table restaurant in Park Slope, Brooklyn actually closed:

http://beertable.com/on-the-move/

Apparently they're reopening in a larger location. Not sure whether that is actually true or not. I haven't heard anything since they closed (and I just did a quick google). Not sure if anyone else has?

To be honest I liked the Brooklyn location. Paying restaurant prices in a restaurant setting was fine. The menu was simple, but tasty, and they would always tend to have interesting beers on tap and on their rotating bottle list (e.g. I tried Bon Chien on tap for the first time there, and on another occasion I had a BCBS 2009 bottle).

My problem with Beer Table Pantry @ Grand Central is the near-restaurant level of pricing (I've seen prices there that are between 50-90% greater than other bottle shops) at a stall in a train station.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.