Big Bad Baptist batch 74 issues

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Yellowlt4, May 11, 2017.

1. Yellowlt4

Yellowlt4 Initiate (51) Sep 21, 2016 Texas

If you are sitting on Big Bad Baptist batch 74, keep them cold and drink them soon. The brewery has confirmed this batch has issues. I've discussed with the brewery and my local rep, they've pulled the stock from the shelves and have replaced my bottles. They are a stand up brewery!

2. BeerPugz

BeerPugz Initiate (84) Dec 4, 2016 Wisconsin

Would like to see an email or another source confirming "batch issues". Your last post regarding BBB 74 2-3 weeks ago was removed by a mod. I've had my share of 74 and they were all fantastic.

3. Yellowlt4

I'll try to post my discussion with the brewery and the rep tomorrow. But it is very much confirmed, I've had 2 bottles replaced and been sent a cool "gift" mail from the brewery. This is really just me trying to be polite to the community.

cavedave and SMH_NWI like this.
  4. BeerPugz

I see very few complaints about 74 tasting off. Maybe 1 in every 100 bottles. I just had a 74 (for the 11th time) about a month ago and it was more bourbon forward than 17 BCBS.

An email, or some other source would be great. My go to store can't keep BBB on shelves and it's been all 74 since October 2016.

5. Yellowlt4

Sure, I've had a couple bottles that were good as well. However, It's been pulled from the shelves here from at least 3 shops, I'll post the emails tomorrow.

6. BeerPugz

Perhaps you need to look at how the distro is storing them if this has occurred at 3 different shops.

7. Yellowlt4

This is very much NOT me trying to call out the brewery, I love Epic, but the fact is batch 74 has issues.

Lahey likes this.
  8. Yellowlt4

The brewery itself has admitted to the problem and actually asked me to help them track the batch 74 bottles.

9. BeerPugz

Find it odd that 3 shops in whatever region Texas you are in has issues, but none of the shops around me do. I'm a frequent flyer to every shop in the area here. So, maybe it's a distro issue.

VABA likes this.
  10. Yellowlt4

Here is the text from the brewery, I'll try to get "screen shots" tomorrow but it's more work than needed from my phone :

Eric, Our Texas sales rep is in the area scouring it for any remnants of release #74. Do you recall were you purchased the bottle? We're trying to establish a distribution trail. Thanks for the help!

11. BeerPugz

I believe you. Sounds like a distro storage issue. Checking UnT, there's a lot more complaints about "sour/infection" now than there was 2 months ago, by 5 fold. Sounds like a storage problem.

I don't doubt there is something going on, but I think it's storage related and not brewery related. How do the complaints of sour/infection increase exponentially over the last 2 months, when there have been 9 batches since 74 (batch 83 was released in December 2016), and why are retailers still receiving 74 from distros?

VABA likes this.
  12. Yellowlt4

I'm just relaying information directly from the brewery. They told me directly that batch 74 had issues and they are pulling it from the market.

13. bigbubbagumper6

bigbubbagumper6 Initiate (17) Feb 22, 2016 Michigan

I'm curious how improper storage could infect a beer, please elaborate.

ericwo, DISKORD, Sabtos and 2 others like this.
  14. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,247) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Double barrel wa
    Warm storage can expedite infection.
    I am more curious who can't get a screenshot off their phone...

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  15. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,894) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

While true, it sounds like the questioning above was more about "Gee, maybe it was stored improperly & that caused the infection". Poor storage doesn't cause infections, which I believe most people understand.

Also, some of us were born in the 1800s. The only way I can think of to take a screen shot off my phone is to take a picture of it. With my Polaroid.

whiskey, Lahey, Roguer and 3 others like this.
  16. BeerPugz

A lot of people call something infected when it tastes off and really isn't infected.

HermitDan and SFACRKnight like this.
  17. Sparta

Sparta Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Oregon

@Yellowlt4 said it "has issues," not that it was infected. You seem to be implying that he/she means infected

18. BeerPugz

My response was to @maximum12. Regardless, the OP still hasn't mentioned what these "issues" are.

19. RogelioRodriguez

RogelioRodriguez Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2015 California

Please stop with all the ignorant comments about storage. The beer storage has nothing do with what was introduced into the bottles.

Lots of variety of bacterias can ferment simple sugars, some are slower and faster than others. Where the beer was stored after bottling has not a damn thing to do with the introduction of the bacteria or wild yeasts.

Warm storage can wake up undesirable fermentation, but it shouldn't be blamed for the fault of the brewery. That being said a smaller brewery isn't going to have the lab resources to find every little problem.

If the brewery is willing to replace bottles, that's great. But the ignorant comments are not appropriate. Why blame the retailer on storage issues when it was introduced at the brewery?

These things happen, and more often than not, even the biggest most successful breweries have some introduction of bacterias and yeast...some take months to be noticeable. Nobody is perfect.

20. BeerPugz

I think you should read an entire thread before commenting. The OP never mentioned what he thinks is wrong with the batch and what Epic said is wrong with the batch. I mentioned a lot of people on Untappd are complaining of sour/infection -- and the complaints seem to have increased exponentially over the past 2 months. The OP never mentioned "sour/infection" and I never insinuated he did. Nobody suggested improper storage can infect beers. But we all know what improper storage can do. Suffice to say, the OP hasn't been helpful.

SFACRKnight and jakecattleco like this.
  21. BeerPugz

In addition, most people don't know the difference between infection, a bad batch not up to standards, or increased age due to improper storage. Untappd users aren't the most credible when it comes to these things.

CannedWaggoneer likes this.
  22. Danny124

Danny124 Initiate (79) Mar 21, 2009 Texas

For what it's worth, I popped a bottle of 74 a couple of nights ago, purchased in Austin TX at a Total Wine. I've had at least a bottle of every batch that has made it down here because it's one of my favorites-- but this one was definitely off. It had the usual sour cherry thing that I've tasted in a few infection-verified beers (09 Abyss, BCBS last year or whenever). I'M not saying it's infected; just mentioning what the taste reminded me of.

Total Wine is famous on here for old beer/ warm-storage and all, which would surely speed along any problems, but not put them in the bottle.

23. SFACRKnight

Speaking of ignorant comments, wild yeast and bacteria typically ferment out more complex carbs since brewers yeast will ferment out the simple sugars.

24. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,460) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Really? Link to that research?

Also, in your experience is a brewery more likely to say their beer has issues, or their beer is infected?

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  25. BeerPugz

If you want me to change my words for your approval, I can: Most people, in my experience, don't know the difference between infection, a bad batch not up to standards, or increased age due to improper storage. It happens on BA, RB, UT, etc.

In my experience, a brewery is more likely to say neither.

26. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,460) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

In my experience a brewery will say anything except infection, and will comment when enough voices are raised.

When it is widespread and most of the notes are "sour cherry" for a stout, it is infection, in my experience.

But like you that is just my own experience, i.e. anecdotal, and not something I can link to in the way of a study, or which I would open my mouth with a great deal of certainty without even tasting the beers in question. I would refer you to the threads, beginning to end, of 2016 BCBS and variants. There were many comments at the beginning of that awful infected stout that were just like yours here. Proved as wrong as wrong gets.

Blackop555 likes this.
  27. jp_stargazer

jp_stargazer Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2017 Illinois

I purchased a bottle of batch 74 a while back in Milwaukee, WI area. When I heard about this "issue" I decided to chill and open. It was definitely tart and nothing like the previous batch that I had tasted (68 maybe, I don't recall). I also have a bottle of batch 73 unopened at home, along with a 2016 Double Barrel Baptist, which sound like they will both be just fine.

I will continue to buy this beer when I travel and come across it but I will avoid batch 74 for sure.

Jason

28. Glennthebeersnob

Glennthebeersnob Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2017 Texas

I also spoke to the rep for Texas (Davis Howe). He is a stand up guy, as he replaced both of my infected bottles and bought me a beer at a local craft bar.
    I asked him about the issue and the problem was infection. If you have a #74 you have a 1 in 3 chance of getting an infected beer. This is due to contamination on 2 of the 6 filler nozzles at the brewery. With that said, it won't harm you, it just doesn't taste good.

Again both Davis and Epic have been great in how they handled it.

Lahey, DaveClark, SFACRKnight and 3 others like this.
  29. DaveClark

DaveClark Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2018 Texas

I opened a bottle of 74 last night and it was sour. I purchased it in Austin back in the summer and it was stored at 53F since purchase. I've got two more so hopefully I nailed the odds of 1 in 3...

30. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Defender (664) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Premium

I've only managed to do it accidentally and then said "WTF".

SFACRKnight likes this.
  31. scream

scream Defender (635) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

That'd be me ! Does your phone need a camera to do that ?

Do you remember how you did it ?

SFACRKnight likes this.
  32. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (387) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

For my phone i press and hold the power button together with the button on the face of the phone at the same time. I don't know if all phones are the same though...

Eddiehop and SFACRKnight like this.
  33. bmk814

bmk814 Initiate (32) Dec 27, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

34. scream

scream Defender (635) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

[​IMG]

Would that work w this phone ?

There is no power button assuggested by ZebulonXZogg

35. SFACRKnight

I think that's a Nokia. Can you play "snake" on it?

36. MILBRV12

MILBRV12 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2017 Wisconsin

Purchased a bottle just before Christmas and finally got to it several days later. Tasted like sour cherries. Returned it to Discount Liquor, no questions asked, and took a bottle of Batch 92.

Yellowlt4 likes this.
  37. mschrei

mschrei Poo-Bah (1,576) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois

Anybody hear about issues with batch 86?

38. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,394) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

[​IMG]
    Mine looks like it say 002 and its as sour as shit, how sad. The coffee is still around but man the funk ass smell is insta drain pour. Tastes so bad.

39. spark3148857

spark3148857 Crusader (712) Dec 4, 2010 California

Just opened my second bottle of #92. Tart green apple...first bottle consumed months ago was exemplary. So disappointing.

40. MaximalC

MaximalC Crusader (701) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois

I just cracked open a bottle from Batch 86 and it tasted more like a sour ale than a stout. Nothing but soy sauce and green apples. Very disappointed :slight_frown:.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.