Big beers, smaller pours. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nuggetlover, Dec 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nuggetlover

nuggetlover Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2012 Pennsylvania

Been drinking my BCBW from a 6oz mini snifter, and love it all the way through.... I notice that I tend to do this with bigger beers (DFH 120 min comes to mind) and am wondering if I'm in a small minority here? I'd recommend it as a great way to savor the rarer ones in smaller batches...

2. ifnkovhg

ifnkovhg Aspirant (205) Aug 12, 2008 California

So the smallness of the pour intensifies the beer's smell/taste? Or am I missing the point entirely? Which would be a first, btw.

3. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (823) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Are you just saying you don't want as much of a bigger beer? I mean I think this is common...

4. Jaap

Jaap Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2012 Washington

Nope, not alone. I use these fairly often.

[​IMG]

5. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (3,070) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Yes, smaller is better.

6. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

i like the idea a lot ive been meaning to get a mini snifter

7. BrandonOakes

BrandonOakes Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2013 Pennsylvania

I like to take smaller pours so I can have two rounds. Also, I drink bigger beers slower, so this makes me enjoy a single beer twice if that makes any sense. Just cork it and finish it in 30-45 minutes.

tmm313 and nuggetlover like this.
  8. nuggetlover

nuggetlover Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2012 Pennsylvania

No! I typically drink " the whole thing"..... But I suppose I like the smaller pours as a means to enjoy every sip, to experience the different profiles as it warms... without ever actually getting to warm.

9. MLaVioletteJr

MLaVioletteJr Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

Keep telling yourself that. :wink:

10. beercanman

beercanman Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2012 Ohio

I prefer 16oz snifters with a small pour. I do use 6oz when I have tastings though

11. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

What the fuck is a BCBW? C'mon man. I like abbreviations as much as the next guy, but sometimes I feel like I'm left outta the loop.

AndrewBV and DoubleJ like this.
  12. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2007 Washington
    Deactivated

Any serious crusher needs one of these.
    [​IMG]

13. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (823) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Bourbon County Barley Wine. With each new variant comes new acronyms lol

JohnnyMc and nuggetlover like this.
  14. Brew_Junkie

Brew_Junkie Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2013 Delaware

It's always been a rule of thumb with me.... The bigger the ABV, the wider and smaller the glass. Beer high in alcohol releases it's favors better when it's free to breathe

15. Dew1016

Dew1016 Disciple (382) Nov 19, 2008 Virginia
    Society Trader

Said no woman ever...

16. kingofhop

Like the FBI. and the CIA. and the NCIS. and the BB King. I can't keep up.

17. LotsofLupulin

LotsofLupulin Initiate (0) May 5, 2012 Colorado

One of the most well-known acronyms is BCBS. I wonder what BCBW could be?

BaltimoreBeerLover likes this.
  18. kingofhop

I can barely spell acronym, let alone pronounce it.

19. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (3,006) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Beautiful woman, big waist.

JG-90 and kingofhop like this.
  20. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,488) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Hurlimann thought so, back when they brewed Samichlaus and it was the "world's strongest beer" (at 14% abv).
    [​IMG]
    That mug holds 4 oz. to the brim, so one can get almost 4 "fills" out of one 355ml bottle (the US didn't get the 25cl bottle shown).

21. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

What, you have a mini Tyranena snifter we dont know about or something?

22. tbaker397

tbaker397 Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 West Virginia

I see what you did there

23. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (12,160) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

What happened to the bros saying they were getting rid of all these acronyms? I would say you can't expect us to know that acronym here, we get zero in-state...

24. ODYSEYY

ODYSEYY Initiate (0) Jul 30, 2013 Ohio

I started doing this with bigger beers as well. I found that a bomber of Big Bad Baptist lasted me almost twice as long when I had to pour a new glass 5-6 times. It didn't hurt the enjoyment at all and kept me from gulping down a pour.

25. paulys55

paulys55 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

Well, actually it should probably be BCBBW. Or BCBBA if you want to get really technical:wink:

26. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

No one needs to "crush" 10%+ offerings. A big winter warmer in a small pour just makes sense.

A small pour will warm a little faster when you are dealing with a big bomber-- you can keep it chilled but serve when you are ready and it gets where it needs to be faster.

Common practice at good brewpubs/tab houses. Most of these offerings are more expensive so keeping the cost on par with other offerings (per glass-not per oz) is one part of it but controlling alcohol is probably more important.

27. azorie

azorie Champion (877) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

My sniffer broke about 6 years ago and I always seem to break those cheap thin ones. So I pour it all in same thick 20 oz mug, it all goes down the same pipe to the same stomach and brain. works for me. I can swill 12 oz of most any beer, lol. when one is used to doing shots of 101 proof. wild turkey 10-15 % abv beer is cake.:grinning:

in fact I regular hate places that sell any beer over 7% in sniffers, I usually never go back.
    I can handle a pint of anything.:stuck_out_tongue:

28. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

I've often wondered why they don't have a little microwave behind the bar at a taproom so I can send my beer back and have them warm it a little.

29. azorie

azorie Champion (877) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

LOl try it a home first. NOT:grimacing::grimacing:

30. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,436) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Big beers get big pours.

AKA, BBGBP

:wink:

31. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (532) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Not a fan of small pours but I get it, though I'd prefer the small pours be for double digit ABV beer. Yet another reason to drink @ home, the reasons just keep coming.

lucasj82 likes this.
  32. lucasj82

lucasj82 Zealot (577) Aug 13, 2009 Indiana

I like the big pours because I like to experience a beer as it changes temps and I drink too fast to allow that to happen with 6oz or less.

33. carlitos92

carlitos92 Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 Texas

I try not to let "needing to" or "making sense" drive my craft beer exploration too much. :wink:

I do try to respect beer types by serving them in an appropriate glass (tulip vs. pint etc) but most of the time I'm only doing real small pours when I'm sharing. If I'm putting away a 10% imperial bomber by myself (which happens), it really doesn't matter how big a glass I use - the end result is gonna be the same.

34. Newbiebeer

Newbiebeer Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2012 Connecticut

I like small pours of every beer . I'd rather drink 6 different 8oz pours versus 3 pints of the same beer. This goes for the bar though. But at home I think a hheavy brew is most definitely better in multiple small pours. Helps me savor it more.

35. atomic

atomic Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2009 Illinois

I like small pours for cheaper price at craft beer bars, lets me try more stuff before getting drunk or going broke.

Acre's event faux bab really did it right with a menu of 20 or so barrel aged beers priced 4-6 dollars for a 6oz pour. Not bad considering a lot of the stuff was priced about that much when sold in bottles, like bcbcr and fw16, etc. between my Gf and I, and two nights of drinking we tried almost everything on the menu. For under 100 bucks.

36. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

37. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (3,022) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

That is adorable.

seakayak likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.