Big Sky Barrel Aged Ivan the Terrible

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by TheVerbalHermanMunster, Apr 4, 2017.

1. TheVerbalHermanMunster

TheVerbalHermanMunster Initiate (193) Dec 3, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Anyone else pick up a 2016 BA Ivan? I cracked one last week and it was awful. Tried reaching out to the brewery a couple times as well with no reply. Crickets. I liked their beers in the past but not responding is sad customer service.

2. Jangoon24

Jangoon24 Disciple (307) Jul 25, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I was really excited to open my bottle this year. I popped it a week ago, and it was absolutely infected. Like yourself, I reached out to the brewery to see if anybody else was reporting an infection in the bottle this year, and have yet to hear back.

Canada_Dan likes this.
  3. Canada_Dan

Canada_Dan Savant (925) Jun 14, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

What did you not like about it? If you reached out to the brewery simply saying it was awful, I'm not surprised you haven't heard back...

4. TheVerbalHermanMunster

Beer Trader

It was a sour beer which had no business being sour. I have better tact than to just say it was awful. Hell, I wouldn't respond to anyone either if that is how they start the communication.

SFACRKnight and Canada_Dan like this.
  5. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (450) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

I opened mines in May of 2016- not sure if it was the same batch, but it was pretty enjoyable. We followed it up with a stovepipe of BATF that absolutely blew it out of the water.

It didn't seem to be infected at the time, just a little thin. Certainly not a beer I'd buy again, though I always grab a 4 pack of the regular when I happen upon it. Easily one of my favorite straight-up RIS.

6. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Disciple (320) Apr 29, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

That's a shame. I'm not a huge fan of BA Ivan, but for about $13 a 750, it was still a pretty good deal.

7. shnsajax

shnsajax Disciple (376) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho
    Beer Trader

Pretty sure that was the previous years batch.

8. Jangoon24

Jangoon24 Disciple (307) Jul 25, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

It had to be - I'm pretty sure this year's came out around the holidays

shnsajax likes this.
  9. shnsajax

shnsajax Disciple (376) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho
    Beer Trader

This is what I was thinking

Jangoon24 likes this.
  10. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,176) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Oof, so I should probably open mine and see what the funk is.going on in there...

11. TheVerbalHermanMunster

Beer Trader

Be prepared for a big pop when opening it. I thought it was going to be a gusher.

12. spoony

spoony Poo-Bah (2,166) Aug 1, 2012 Colorado
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I went to school in Missoula, so I have a soft spot for Big Sky, and when I saw a bottle of Ivan on the shelf the other day I thought, "Damn, that is a good price for a BA stout." Maybe too good of a price as it turns out....

13. akolb

akolb Crusader (709) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Almost bought this today at the beer store. Glad I didn't.

14. cmukid87

cmukid87 Aspirant (296) Jan 30, 2017 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Bringing up the same topic, but yes, I opened a BA Ivan the Terrible a couple weeks ago and it was disgusting. Soured beyond belief. It was like I was dipping apple skin in my beer and chewing on it.

I also reached out to Big Sky to inform them and got crickets. I didn't explicitly ask for a response nor do I expect any compensation back on it but I at least expected a short email back. Very poor. I no longer purchase Big Sky products.

flat_lander and ManBearPat like this.
  15. Prospero

Prospero Savant (961) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Even at $13 again this year, ^this is why I won't buy again. I'm not throwing away $13 on a beer the brewery can't stand behind. Consumers should be refunded for infected beer that's clearly not intended and no fault of storage or handling.

16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,882) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming

So glad that Ivan the Terrible regular only shows up in Casper.

I DID have some barrel aged in the past that were great.

spoony likes this.
  17. flat_lander

flat_lander Zealot (571) May 11, 2016 Illinois

wyoming likes this.