Biggest beer pet peeves

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jzlyo, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hwk-I-St8

Hwk-I-St8 Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2016 Iowa

The secret here? Order the stout. If it's too cold, order something else you don't mind drinking cold (pale ale or sour, perhaps) and drink that while you wait for the stout to warm up. The downside of course is that the interim drink will affect your palate.

Another trick, from my cognac drinking experience, is to cradle the glass (typically a snifter for the higher end stouts) in your hands to let your body heat warm it up. With cognac, I always hold in in my hands for 15 minutes or so before I even take my first sip. A nice trick my Dad taught me that really makes a cognac soften and explode with flavor and aroma.

mikeinportc and drtth like this.
  2. jfcook90

jfcook90 Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2015 Alabama

in law takes a sip of mich ultra and is trying to tell me what it tastes like... he said modelo but I thought he said "metal"

Pantalones and mikeinportc like this.
  3. beertoro

beertoro Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2015 New Jersey

When an employee at a brewery gives me the crazy look because I don't want just a flight, I want a sample of EVERYTHING.

I feel like the responses I receive when I do this are never in the middle. I've either become a head brewer's or owner's best friend or I get the craziest looks or responses. Listen, I WANT TO DRINK IT ALL. Allow me to bask in the glory of what you have in tap.

mikeinportc and Squire like this.
  4. JBURGHOST

JBURGHOST Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2016 New York

"Greywulfken 4/18/15
    Easy. No bottle dating"
    Have to agree with this one. Who likes to drink skunks beer....yuck.

mikeinportc likes this.
  5. juliuscaesar2701

juliuscaesar2701 Aspirant (289) Jan 11, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yeah, your points are well taken. When you're educated about proper serving temperatures, it's no problem, but I can't imagine how many people don't pay attention. I know some friends who drank a good morning too cold (they didn't realize it), pronounced it wasn't that good and that was that, a growler of good morning essentially wasted... I asked them if them had let it sit, to which the answer was no, and I face palmed. I find temperature makes a huge difference, and 1). Not everyone is educated and 2). often times it's not clear as to what temperature beers should be served at. Though the general guidelines for the different styles usually work out ok.

6. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia
    Deactivated

If the bar only has one fridge to keep the kegs in then ALL the beers are going to be served at the same temp. You can't expect every bar to have multiple fridges.

7. Hwk-I-St8

Hwk-I-St8 Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2016 Iowa

Temp is a massive factor in beer. A cold stout loses a huge amount of flavor and what's there is different in character. One thing that's fun to do is savor a beer over the coarse of warming. The experience can change radically. Some beers evolve, some don't even open up until they're almost room temp. Some turn to crap. At home with beers from the fridge that I'm tasting for the first time, I try to extend the sampling time before I render any kind of an opinion. Sometimes I get one so good that I'm too impatient to wait.

8. Dan_K

Dan_K Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

I'm not even sure "Shandy" is even a beer style, is it? It's a mixed drink as far as I know.

I know, I know, leinenkugels. It's a wheat beer with fruit juice and spices added.

9. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Zealot (626) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

When people say "my allotment" or "my full allotment." That beer was not allocated specifically for you.

10. juliuscaesar2701

juliuscaesar2701 Aspirant (289) Jan 11, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

No I understand the limitations that bars shouldn't be expected to have multiple fridges, but they should at least tell people to if people should let them sit out... It's not that hard. Temperature should not be the reason people who don't know better don't like a beer.

11. Rback

Rback Crusader (477) Feb 26, 2012 New York

I can understand the frustration but what kind of place do you work in that has that level of theft ? or that lack of reordering ?

12. Lahoi

Lahoi Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2015 Kentucky

Dry counties of the Bible Belt. Not necessarily limited to beer, but since 99.9% of the time my drink of choice is beer it is a beer pet peeve for me.

Pantalones and mikeinportc like this.
  13. pattycakes8401

pattycakes8401 Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2015 Indiana

Totally with you on this one. I can't stand it when people tell me they don't like beer, and then go on to drink a bunch of cheap liquor with soda or juice. And then I ask them what beers they've had before, and the answer is always the same: the typical macro AALs like Bud, Coors, Miller, Keystone, etc. and maybe a Blue Moon if they think they're special. I try to convince them that there is much better beer out there, but they respond with "nahhh I just don't really like beer in general, I'll be alright". :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: and then I slap the fuck out of them (not really)

mikeinportc, sgbeer and ssam like this.
  14. Squire

Squire Grand Pooh-Bah (4,081) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'll have one of each. What an elegantly sensible approach.

15. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

No issues. I like beer. Ok one .Maybe. Beer drinkers who have to have every beer? From all over the US. Traders? How much in shipping costs? Drink fresh, drink local. So much good beer out there, I think the tickers just tick because it's on some list. Search out all your good local first.

16. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Pour them a glass of Not My Fathers Root Beer, and get them to add some vodka. Then whip them at Scrabble!

17. DabblinWiscCraft

DabblinWiscCraft Savant (1,044) Jul 5, 2011 Wisconsin

Biggest pet peeve: that good beer usually costs too much in terms of currency and calories. There's something terribly wrong with a world where your favorite beverage can be over a dollar (and sometimes 35 calories) per ounce. An unsettling reality: many of the pricey imperial stouts and other high-ABV brews have the same calories by volume as half and half and cost about 65 times more than gasoline...

thepenguin and dcotom like this.
  18. pattycakes8401

pattycakes8401 Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2015 Indiana

Oh no, I wouldn't serve NMFRB to anyone, not even my worst enemies... that shit is awful. If anything, I would just force them to drink a really good beer.

Gajo74 likes this.
  19. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It is sad considering you can get nice glasses at Walmart or Target for cheap. No excuse for stealing glass wear IMO.

20. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

I wouldn't either. I was just kidding. Methinks nearly everyone takes beer way too seriously. It is fun and often very funny!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.