Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Bitches Brew Aging (?)

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by proseberry, Dec 27, 2012.

1. proseberry

Hello. I cracked open a 1st Edition Bitches Brew last night, and it was a sour mess. I take it that this was not meant for aging? Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. Hanzo

Sour? Infection probably.

YaKnowBrady likes this.
  3. camil1mj

Beer Trader

I had a bottle from 2010 two weeks ago (second batch I think) and it was awesome. Much better than the fresh bottle I ha earlier this year.

4. proseberry

Hello. That's what I thought; I'll put another one in the icebox. I thought when I initially bought it it would sit like a RIS, but then see it labelled as an Ale. I'm not gonna toss my stash just yet. Thanks.

5. ShanePB

Beer Trader

I opened a Batch 1 over the summer and it was fine. Personally, I prefer it fresh(er). Batch 3 is drinking nice right now; at the point I won't age it any longer for my tastes, not like I did with Batch 1.

6. 71gto

Beer Trader

Interesting info. I have yet to crack my batch 1 Bitches Brew. I may have to do that soon.

7. Jacob007

Beer Trader

Should I celler my 2012 or drink now?

8. El_Zilcho

I think this beer is pretty good fresh, but I havent had a fresh one in a while. I drank 2 bottles from the first year this year, one was bottled in "2010 F" the other was "2010 3E". They were both pretty bad, age had done nothing well to them, they were thin and not very good at all. I have one more bottled in "2010 D" I'm expecting to be the same.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe