Black Butte XXIX

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by brandonwnw, Jul 16, 2017.

1. brandonwnw

brandonwnw Initiate (134) May 8, 2013 Washington

Hey y'all -
    Just saw a couple bottles of this floating around today so I guess I missed the launch this year. Looks like a really tasty blend with cinnamon and barrel aging. Anyone had it yet? Trying to decide if I'm going to drink my bottle now or let it age.

beertunes likes this.
  2. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,686) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

The BB Birthday bers aresome of my favorites of the year. Haven't been beer shopping much lately, due to budgetary constraints, but will grab 3-4 bottles when I see it. As an aside, I really hope the fad of cinnamon in beers dies a quick death. It isn't a deal-breaker, like coffee or pumpkin, but it's not high on my list of preferred flavors.

TheBungyo, brandonwnw and y2kawakami like this.
  3. ChugChugPass

ChugChugPass Initiate (126) Jun 16, 2017 Washington
    Beer Trader

I enjoyed it; had half a bottle last night. The cayenne is really nice; the rum gives it just a touch of sweetness which pairs well with the richness of the malts.

y2kawakami and woemad like this.
  4. sharpski

sharpski Champion (832) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

The Bend pub does a vintage taster tray for the release every year, the current beer and the 5 previous years' versions. Having lived here a few years, I've been lucky to try many of these beers multiple times under fairly controllled conditions, or at least more systematically than any other beer (I guess the same goes for Abyss). All of the 5 year-old vintages I've tried have held up very well, retaining flavors of the adjuncts while generally continuing to smooth out. Generally my preference on the tray follows oldest to youngest, this year the fresh XIX was my favorite.

I'd buy one to drink fresh, and if you like the flavor profile, consider buying a few more with confidence they'll likely age gracefully.

5. ChugChugPass

Beer Trader

Yeah they come up to Beer Junction as well, or at least last year, and this year again on 7/27 for a 5 year tasting.

sharpski likes this.
  6. woemad

woemad Poo-Bah (2,616) Jun 8, 2003 Washington
    Beer Trader

Hills' Restaurant does that each year in Spokane with Abyss. I think he does it with BB:A as well. Deschutes is Steve Hill's only permanent handle for years now, so their distributor hooks him up.

sharpski likes this.
  7. sharpski

Beer Trader

Kinda makes you wonder how much is held back each year to support vintage events for the next 5 years. I'm assuming that these locations are getting new kegs of the vintage beers each year, but maybe they're only selling a 1/6 of the keg and then pulling it until the next year.

woemad likes this.
  8. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,533) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Beer Trader

They did something similar down here in PDX a week or so ago. I kept on meaning to make it over to get a vertical sampler, but never got around to it.

In the past, it seemed like the one with 2 or 3 years of bottle age would be my favorite. Always a good beer (IMHO), and am looking forward to eventually trying this year's version. Otherwise, my experience in the past has pretty much been consistent with everyone else's. Beer is good initially, but seems to improve with a year or two of bottle age on it.

9. dphi

dphi Initiate (157) Apr 14, 2013 Oregon

Only had it on draft so far where I got zero cayenne or cinnamon. Rum barrel is definitely evident though.

brandonwnw and beertunes like this.
  10. vurt

vurt Crusader (742) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Supporter

In honor of the start of Season 7, I thought it was appropriate to Take the Black (Butte) and open a bottle tonight.

Plenty of cinnamon and tasty (not overwhelming) barrel character. Nice pop of cayenne at the very end.

11. derftron

derftron Disciple (326) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Did the tasting tray this year (again). I generally think aging beers is a pointless exercise, and while the flavors may change, I find they often do not improve and are almost always not worth whatever the "tax" is that bottle shops/bars impose when they put bottles out for sale or vintage kegs on tap.

Black Butte beers are definitely an exception IMO. Cant speak for this years vintage, but every previous vintage is SOOOOO much better once you let it sit for a year or two. The tasting tray going back to Black Butte XXIV was phenomenal. I personally liked 24 and 26 the most, but even 28 at a mere 1 year old was sipping fantastic.

This years was very good, but I will reserve any final judgement until next July :slight_smile:

sharpski and beertunes like this.
  12. John_M

Beer Trader

Was this recent? Do they still have the vertical on tap over at the pub here in PDX?

13. derftron

derftron Disciple (326) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

this was weeks ago at the release party.

14. John_M

Beer Trader

Thanks. I was hoping they might all still be on, but as they weren't listed on the online taplist...

15. shnsajax

shnsajax Disciple (358) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho
    Beer Trader

Is Deschutes still doing some of those brewery only releases like Black Butte 3 and the Sour Quad. Haven't seen anything news in a while.

beertunes likes this.
  16. LockeNess33

LockeNess33 Initiate (177) Feb 2, 2016 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Yes, last time I was there a couple of weeks ago they had a few of those brewery only releases available. At least I'm assuming they're brewery only since they had that similar labeling. I didn't pick any up and don't remember for sure, but I believe they were these:

http://tenemu.com/news/deschutes-brewery-adding-three-new-beers-to-pub-reserve-series-may-27/05/2016

shnsajax likes this.
  17. shnsajax

Beer Trader

Thanks, I haven't seen anything on those on their website.

18. sharpski

Beer Trader

I haven't heard about any recent releases in that series, but the pub still had a few of them available when I was in there a few weeks ago.

19. brandonwnw

brandonwnw Initiate (134) May 8, 2013 Washington

I was at the beer authority and someone offered me a taste. It's one of my favorite beers of the year so far and was good enough the I grabbed another bottle.

That said, I agree with others that the BB anniversary beers seem to be best with about a year of rest in my opinion. I think it's really that the flavor profile tends to migrate from a heavy porter to an imperial stout with some time.

FWIW I am a fan of cinnamon in limited edition beers so I'll buy what ever you feel like selling beertunes

beertunes likes this.
  20. John_M

Beer Trader

Do you know if they're still pouring the vertical up at the Bend pub? The wife and I are staying with my sister and her husband in Sunriver this weekend, and I'm trying to narrow down our travel plans while up there. I don't generally include Deschutes in our travel plans when we're up that way, but if they're still doing the vertical, then I think it just might make the short list this time around.

21. beertunes

Beer Trader

Nice try, but I'll be keeping my BB Birthday beers. :wink::sunglasses:

brandonwnw and vurt like this.
  22. sharpski

Beer Trader

I haven't been in since, but I can almost guarantee you it's no longer available. I'd put the average lifespan for these and the Abyss verticals at about 4 days at the pub.

23. ChugChugPass

Beer Trader

Just had XXIX on tap and it wasnt nearly as good as the bottle, interesting.

#23 ChugChugPass, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2017
  24. shnsajax

Beer Trader

In the bottle, how much did it have to warm up?

25. MattyPrize

MattyPrize Initiate (175) Jul 7, 2011 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Just had XXIX at the Bend pub and thought it was great. Much better than the other "fresh" vintages I've had in years past. Inspired me to go though my bottles to see what I still have. Looks like I've got every year since XXI.

cherche and sharpski like this.
  26. kingsleyr

kingsleyr Initiate (157) Jun 20, 2005 Washington
    Beer Trader

Did a 5 yr vert at beer junction, found this year's disappointing. No where near the complexity of prior years. Bland even. Just a little cinnamon. 27 and 28 were great.

ChugChugPass likes this.
  27. ChugChugPass

Beer Trader

Not entirely sure what you mean, but if you mean temperature i opened it at about cellar temp (55) and then took an hour or so to drink it. Just seemed to have so much more flavor.

Could be that it was fine on its own but bland compared to the other 4 years in the vertical.

@kingsleyr thats where I had it too!

28. cherche

cherche Savant (910) Mar 27, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

i was lucky enough to do that taster tray 2 years ago and it was a great time and experience. if i recall correctly my favorite was the oldest of the bunch (24 that year) but honestly i loved all of them other than 26, which i though was just very good :slight_smile:

vurt and beertunes like this.
  29. beertunes

Beer Trader

Still haven't seen it up here yet. But, yesterday I was in Whole Foods, and the Deschutes rep happened to be there. I asked him why no love, and the WF guy pipes in and says "It's landing tomorrow". So, I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

chinochino and sharpski like this.
  30. John_M

Beer Trader

Just got to try it for the first time on Sunday. Very nice beer, though as others have mentioned, it could benefit from some short term cellaring.

On the other hand, it's way more approachable and drinkable than the regular 2016 Abyss is.

beertunes likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.