Black Friday in Richmond, VA

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by mike0802, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike0802

mike0802 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 New York

I'll be visiting family for Thanksgiving in Richmond, VA and don't want to miss the GI BCBS release. Was wondering if anyone can provide me info on good bottle shops that get BCBS and some the variants.

Any help is much appreciated!

Mike

2. ncaudle

ncaudle Initiate (0) May 28, 2010 Virginia

all depends on allocation...

3. ThisWangsChung

ThisWangsChung Poo-Bah (3,140) Oct 15, 2011 Maryland
    Society

I've never been down to Richmond for the BCBS releases, but I imagine Corks & Kegs, Once Upon a Vine (both locations), and TW would easily get the variants.

...or not. The DMV region was screwed out of the variants last year. So let me rephrase that: if Virginia gets more than a trickle of the coffee/barleywine/Regal Rye, it'll likely end up at those very stores. :stuck_out_tongue:

mike0802 likes this.
  4. ncaudle

only TW got the coffee last year.
    DC and MD got everything last year. VA didn't even get Vanilla on draft...

5. ThisWangsChung

Society

Wow. I kind of figured VA got screwed along with MD last year, but I didn't think it was THAT bad down there (bear in mind, I kept my BCBS search exclusive to MD)...

6. TomCat11

TomCat11 Zealot (532) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

I'm about an hour west of Richmond. All I saw was regular and then barleywine around here and those were fairly hard to come by. Best bet is to to keep tabs on the RVA shop's social media pages. I'm sure there will be posts going out in the next 3-4 weeks about availability. Another one I would throw out there if you will be in the West End / Short Pump area is De Fles Winkel ("The Wink").

7. ncaudle

the RVA area was swimming in reg BCS and BW last year. only Total Wine got any Coffee and only 1-2 cases each which the stores doled out at 2/per (ie, the Coffee was gone in about 20 minutes). a couple places did get Coffee on draft.

8. raverjames

raverjames Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2003 Virginia

RVA is a competitive market to try to land the hard-to-get Bourbon County bottles.

Vorsprung and ncaudle like this.
  9. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,349) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Were there any variants other than coffee in Virginia Beach or C-Ville last year? I have a theory if so.....

10. DammitMike

DammitMike Initiate (0) Nov 28, 2014 Virginia

DC got all variants in bottles and kegs, but MD only got regular and BW. No coffee or vanilla in the entire state.

11. TomCat11

TomCat11 Zealot (532) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

I did not see coffee in C'Ville. All I saw (bottle wise) was reg and BW. Beer Run would have been the one place to get them if more variants were to be had but I'm pretty certain that's all they got. They did make the regular available on Black Friday at Noon with a 1 4pk limit. Another delivery came a couple weeks later and that's when I recall the BW showing up.

12. ncaudle

I've got friends in MD who say otherwise... but, regardless

13. gopens44

Society Trader

I seemed to miss the BW last year and there was very little coffee as well. If nobody else in VA got variants than I have no valid theories......

@mike0802 I feel your pain on trying to locate BCBS on such a busy day in an alien land, as I will be traveling early Friday to Wake Forest / Raleigh for a weekend tournament and have already been trying to figure out my best tactic for getting a four-er..... Luckily, there is a terrific bottle shop near one of the ice houses we are at!

mike0802 likes this.
  14. ThisWangsChung

Society

There was a place in Prince Frederick, MD (Nick's of Calvert) that got a keg of the coffee off the top of my head

15. EuphonicHops

EuphonicHops Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 Virginia

Beer Run in Cville got the coffee, but a very small amount. They were the only ones in town who got it, to my knowledge.

16. DammitMike

I could be mistaken then, awesome if they were able to get coffee/vanilla. I just remember a lot of complaints in the BCBS thread last year about VA getting shut out of VR and MD getting shut out of VR and coffee.

17. bushycook

bushycook Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2011 Virginia

I got two bottles (limit) of coffee and two of the bw (along with a 4pak of regs) in Illiamsburg, Va. No bombers were seen on the peninsula, don't know about southside(Nfk/VB).

18. montman

montman Devotee (406) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Yeah VB/Norfolk/Ches got coffee and barleywine last year, very small amounts though. Regular wasn't too hard to come by though, which was nice.

19. gopens44

Society Trader

Sounds not too far off from us than. Maybe you guys had more coffee? Especially if someplace was offering limits of two instead of one, but I'll admit I'm forming an opinion strictly off empirical data. Hadn't heard anything official from anyone truly in the know. Others have said we had BW in RVA, but I must have totally missed out on it, and I was at TW late morning on Black Friday after their one case of coffee blew out.

Only reason I was curious is that the AB distro in our area has had a rocky (at best) relationship with AB, and I wondered if those chickens were coming home and roosting in the form of BCBS and variants. Maybe being in the RDU area this time around will be of benefit to me.

20. c64person

c64person Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

RDU doesn't get great distro on the BCBS stuff either. Its a fairly craft hungry town, for the last two years its been small allocations of coffee (about 1 case per shop) no variants and sold out before it hits the market due to lottery and ticket systems most bottle shops have. Regular BCBS you should be able to chase around town and get a few bottles.

21. ncaudle

the TW on Broad got 2 cases coffee as I was about #20 in line and got my allotment.
    RVA got a crap load of the BW and there was a second drop of BW about a month or so later (we may have gotten more BW than reg BCBS...)

22. gopens44

Society Trader

I have no idea on earth how I missed BW than, guess I am in dire need of stepping up my game! I was at the TW on Robious and one of the AB distro guys I know was still there merching the store, told me that the one case of coffee they had came and went already. Got there before noon, well before noon probably (based on my normal lunch hours).

23. gopens44

Society Trader

Thanks for the heads up. And FWIW, I feel like a jerk when faced with the prospect of having to buy from a limited supply in someone else's area. I am still hoping that our first game on that Friday is late enough for me to hit RVA stores before I leave town. If that's the case I won't try to buy any down there.

24. mike0802

do people line up in the morning like they do in NYC? I've been going to Top Hops in NYC for the past couple of years and the line gets longer earlier every damn year.

25. gopens44

Society Trader

No line when I got there but there was a briskness in the air that usually is not present at pre-noon on a weekday. The staff, which is usually laid back seemed frazzled, and oh yes, how could I forget about the douchebags in the parking lot who were actually changing shirts to go back in. It's not urban legend, I watched the guys after I pulled up place bags in the car, change shirts, walked back in behind me.

That was just for me to get regular - sounds like @ncaudle may have more insight on whether there were lines or not earlier than when I got there, btu he points out that he was #20, so I'm thinking there must have been a line of some sort.

26. mike0802

ugh. i hate that man. i just want a couple of bottle of regular and a variant or 2 if i can get my hands on it to enjoy in front of my fire on christmas eve like i always do.

#sappybcbsstory

27. ncaudle

yeah, I got there about an hour before opening and was around #20

28. raverjames

raverjames Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2003 Virginia

Does Strawberry St Market still get cool stuff? That place was my go-to, when I didn't feel like facing the rush at other larger stores.

29. ncaudle

all those little shops in the Fan do, but they only got reg BCBS and BW last year. the Coffee was highly allocated to only the TWs (in RVA at least)

30. Vorsprung

Vorsprung Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2015 Virginia

I saw a bunch of BCBS at Top Hops when I visited NYC in January this year.

As far as RVA goes, everyone on this thread is right about the good places to go. There are a couple other small places that might get some. But if the demand for Parabola, Stickee Monkey and the other FW flagships is any indication, it should be tough. I feel your pain though--I'll be in Allentown PA.

mike0802 likes this.
  31. mike0802

Anyone announce anything yet?

I always go to Top Hops and really regretting not being there this year. The allotment for 1st 200 people is 4 BCBS, 2 BCBBW, 1 BCBCS, 1 Regal, 1 Rare

Damnit, wish VA would announce something similar.

32. DammitMike

Wow, 200 bottles of Rare?! I wonder if any other shops will see allocations that high. I looked at their Facebook event and was surprised to see that Regal is priced the same as Coffee.

mike0802 likes this.
  33. mike0802

Yeah, I meant 200 bottles may seem like a lot but Rare this time around isn't that rare. 70k bottles I think? I BELIEVE that was more than last year's Vanilla Rye.

DammitMike likes this.
  34. Colbyamoss

Colbyamoss Initiate (23) Oct 21, 2014 District of Columbia

Especially when it's priced at near $80, i've heard at some shops, not everyone is going to pull the trigger

mike0802 likes this.
  35. mike0802

Looks like only regukar, BW, and Coffee again this year. Called a few places and that's what was told. Still looking forward to replenishing the stock of regular!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.