Black Friday!?! (MA)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by sgulner, Nov 17, 2021.

1. sgulner

sgulner Initiate (161) Apr 16, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

Hey All,
    While the rest of the family is out shopping on Black Friday, nothing is more enjoyable than going to a bar and tasting some excellent stouts. I've gone to Hugh Oneills a couple times and really liked both the selection and the fact that it isn't slammed and super chill. Any other recs. on a bar/pub/brewery that throws a great, relaxed, Black Friday event?

2. yuppiescum

yuppiescum Initiate (47) Jun 4, 2009 Massachusetts

If you can be a little more specific about where in MA you will be, perhaps we can be helpful.

3. sgulner

sgulner Initiate (161) Apr 16, 2011 Massachusetts
    Trader

Sure, preferably Boston to N Shore area.

4. Jbrews

Jbrews Disciple (351) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire

NOT MA

But if you can somehow swing up to York Maine the Black Friday event at York River Landing is always spectacular. No lines and normally any wait to get in. Somewhere around 40ish or so stouts to choose from and plenty of whales typically to go around.
    Normally a few fun timed taps that change out through the day. It usually sticks around for days too.

Last year we went Saturday (or Sunday?) and were the only ones there to start with the entire list still pouring. Brought home squealer pours of Bourbon County vintages. Along with the French Toast Backwoods Bastard…holy f

BCBS 2020
    BCBS 2021
    BCBS cherry wood 2021
    BCBS classic cola 2021

confirmed for now.

That’s an automatic Uber back to Portsmouth.

#4 Jbrews, Nov 18, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  5. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Defender (640) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Trader

This is where I will be for a portion of Black Friday. Tradition for about 5 years for me, just skipped last year since I didn't want to risk any Covid transmission visiting my 70+ y.o. parents up in Maine. Along with BCBS they almost always have Mott the Lesser, Stoneface RIS and a Framinghammer variant amongst other BA beers.

Jbrews, JrGtr and AlcahueteJ like this.
  6. Jbrews

Totally respect that and hear ya. We went the day or two after and we’re literally the only ones on the outside porch and hardly a soul there perilous. They essentially said you can try pretty much everything and take anything home.

i believe I’ve done every year it’s gone on.

AlcahueteJ and Newport_beerguy like this.
  7. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (363) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Definatey interested to hear what other places are doing an event. I've been to Hugh O'Neil's in the past and this years looks pretty week.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  8. Piels25

Piels25 Aspirant (238) Dec 17, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Really missing Stoddards right about now.

9. brother_rebus

brother_rebus Meyvn (1,024) Jul 28, 2014 Maine
    Trader

are any of the bcbs variants expected to be attainable w/o line waiting in the boston area?

I'll be in town and on the road and would like to pick up a bottle or two of somehting like the blantons maybe but not really about standing around for an hour to get it you kno? thx

10. fortpointmarket

fortpointmarket Initiate (33) Apr 15, 2020 Massachusetts

Only variants coming are cherry wood and cola to most stores. I would just go to Total Wines after the morning on Black Friday to avoid any rush if people still stand in line for it.

11. TWStandley

TWStandley Crusader (737) Jan 15, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Variants at my local shop already on the shelves. Cola, Cherrywood, Fourteen, Regular. Able to walk in and buy them. I grabbed some regular, a fourteen and a cola (just to see what its like).

12. Piels25

Trader

Can you please share where this is?

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  13. Jbrews

I know One Stop Haverhill has them in and out for sale.

The more I read and think about the Cola version the more it bums me out they used it as a variant. It just doesn’t sound very good or exciting.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  14. bruindre

bruindre Defender (642) Jun 20, 2009 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Anything noteworthy on the Cape this Friday/ weekend? Per usual, will be with in-laws.

15. Newport_beerguy

Trader

Right?! I can easily make myself a Jack and Coke, not exactly jonesing for a slightly better version of that at a premium price.

As opposed to starting a whole new thread with few replies, feel free to reply here if you have a good idea of places to look in southern Maine besides Bier Cellar. I'll be driving through Friday early PM with a detour to York River Landing for their draft event.

FYI for Bier Cellar you can order original BCBS online for pickup and their variants will be in-person only starting at noontime Friday: Cherry Wood, Classic Cola and Reserve 150.

I won't be around Portland until late afternoon so the 150 will be gone hours before. Any leads on places that might be closer to Kittery/York, let me know!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  16. JrGtr

JrGtr Devotee (472) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I try to avoid going to TW and the big supermarkets - I prefer spending at the locally owned.
    |But the one time I go is for BCBS - they get pallets of the stuff, plus varients, rather than a case or two at the locals.

AirBob and AlcahueteJ like this.
  17. Jbrews

Easy one! Go to Carl’s Meat market in kittery just over the bridge from Portsmouth! They’ll have em!

See you at the landing!

AlcahueteJ and Newport_beerguy like this.
  18. Piels25

Trader

Had it last night and your description is spot on.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  19. seanunreal

seanunreal Initiate (135) Jul 23, 2009 Massachusetts

Anyone spot this in the Worcester area yet?

20. Newport_beerguy

Trader

Good to know! I typically drift towards Spruce Creek Provisions especially for IPA shopping, but my sense is they don't participate in Black Friday or anything Goose Island really.

21. crt3qjoejoe

crt3qjoejoe Initiate (116) Sep 14, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yankee Spirits has on-line only sales starting at 7 AM on Friday for BCBS.

AlcahueteJ and brother_rebus like this.
  22. brother_rebus

Trader

Hell yea. thx & enjoy

23. brother_rebus

Trader

We’re swapping spots for the weekend. RSVP will have rg + variants, not sure exactly which. Usually get a healthy dose though.

24. brother_rebus

Trader

their website crashed for 10 minutes. Then they only have 2019 & 2020 reg listed. Ppl on instagram were pissed.

25. Damian

Damian Poo-Bah (3,375) Jun 1, 2006 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I live in Watertown but was visiting family in CT this Thanksgiving. Stopped at CT Beverage in Newington at 10:30 this morning and they still had regular BCBS and all three variants plus three of the “special” variants including:

Double Barrel Toasted Barrel
    Reserve Blanton’s Stout
    Reserve 150 Stout

I had no clue these were seeing distro. Did any places in MA land them?

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  26. Newport_beerguy

Trader

Well today started off fantastic, my wife had a hacked bank account so our trip started late. But while still in RI, we went over to Wines & More where I got the second to last bottle of 150. That appears to be the same additional variant as Maine got, so I just sat down at YRL to relax and have some drafts. Not worried about store-hunting up here. Cheers!

27. Jbrews

Fine! I bitched about the Cola variant then had it up against 2021, 2020, cherry wood and cola… and yes, I enjoyed it!

So shame on this prick ha

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  28. Jbrews

jesus! That sucks when that happens! Would’ve bought you a pour at river landing if still there. We were at tbe corner of the bar to the left from 11-2 or so. Met some awesome folks and had some bottle pours of the Bissell barrel aged stouts shared with us. Gave our two seats eventually to the sweetest couple who were thrilled. Those ladies worked their asses off behind the bar. I hope everyone said a kind word and tipped them well.
    Great time as always

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  29. Newport_beerguy

Trader

Thanks for the offer. We walked into a freaking paaarty sitting at a small table behind the bar. There was a party somewhere in the low teens taking up half of that side and they had appatently been there awhile! We had to ask how much the bill was as they left and it got quieter; the waitress said $1500. Yowsa. Gotta admire that, so long as they were local/carpooling with DD's.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  30. bhatch729

bhatch729 Aspirant (218) Nov 8, 2017 Massachusetts
    Trader

Nowhere I saw in the north shore had them, or at least advertised they had them

31. Newport_beerguy

Trader

Same here lol. Got my 4oz sample of the Cola and it was perfectly fine. I was expecting a mess of an aftertaste but it was clean AF, the adjuncts come through nicely in the middle and don't linger.

32. nathanb47

nathanb47 Initiate (179) Dec 14, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I know my store only got offered 3 on the south shore. Seen 14 pop up in places in MA, but not sure if others have.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  33. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (347) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Oakdale in Tewksbury had Cherry Wood, Cola, 14 and OG all available as of noon today.

They also had a lot of back years' OG out too, all priced at $12.95, if you're looking to fill out for a vertical.

Also copped a '18 Vanilla that was just sitting on the shelf! No complaints here.

AlcahueteJ likes this.