Black Hog Brewing

Discussion in 'New England' started by phorestfreak, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phorestfreak

phorestfreak Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2004 Connecticut

marcdalke likes this.
  2. NuclearRich

NuclearRich Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2009 Connecticut

Not too sad to see Calvary go. It sadly never really took off in the area. The guys running Black Hog are exciting additions to the blooming CT beer scene! Looking forward to it!

3. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Initiate (153) Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

This is definitely something to be excited about!

4. MedicMike

MedicMike Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2010 Connecticut

Cavalry Brewing had some solid beers. Just not a big advertising effort. Their Cask Wednesday nights were a good time. I can't wait to try Black Hog's offerings.

5. JoshJayne

JoshJayne Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2009 Connecticut

Cavalry did have some very well made English style beers. Maybe just not super exciting. The guys from Caseus/Mikro/Ordinary really well versed in the culinary arts. I think they will crank out some great beer and it will undoubtedly pair well with their food. Really looking forward to it.

6. NuclearRich

NuclearRich Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2009 Connecticut

Dont forget the head brewer from Portsmouth brewery!

7. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (209) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Black Hog hit the market yesterday. Coalhouse in Stamford has all 4 of their current offerings on tap (SWAG, Ginja Ninja IPA, Granola Brown and Easy Rye'da IPA). I had a flight of the 4.

I thought all were good first efforts. The Brown was a very good beer. The others were all solid with potential.

Welcome to the market!

8. smutty33

smutty33 Defender (673) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut

Spotted Granola Brown on tap in Branford.

Black Hog is pouring right now at the Delaney's Chili cook-off and brewfest in New Haven. (1-5pm)

Cheers All.....

9. dipalova

dipalova Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2013 Connecticut

stopped at the brewery and a flight last thurs. 7/17... swag and easy rye'da are very soild. ginja ninja is very good... granola brown is F**king OUTSTANDING... WORLD CLASS ... IMO...

Bjorn2bWild likes this.
  10. codasnap52

codasnap52 Aspirant (212) Jan 24, 2008 Connecticut

Are they pouring out of the tasting room yet? Their Facebook updates led me to believe they were not open, did you just pop in and they were kind enough to pour you some samples or can we officially check the place out?

11. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Aspirant (209) Oct 27, 2007 Connecticut

Their posts have implied that if you show up and they are there, they will take care of you even though not officially open.

12. ArchietheDragon

ArchietheDragon Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2013 Connecticut

13. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Disciple (324) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

as luck would have it I won't be there for a work dinner so perfect timing

14. blckout20

blckout20 Initiate (184) May 24, 2012 Connecticut

Strawberry gose could be very awesome. Interested to try this granola brown when I'm back from vacation.

15. xanok

xanok Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2009 Connecticut

Too bad about Cavalry Brewing. I liked the guys, and I thought they made some solid beer. But CT is craving more exciting stuff than what they were offering.

16. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Disciple (324) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

Went to the release at Max last night
    SWAG Good. Alot of bitter grapefruit peel comes through
    Granola Brown- real good. Not a brown ale fan but if you are get some of this
    Gina Ninja-well crafted beer but ginger not my jam!
    RYE SESSION IPA
    AWESOME, HOMERUN, LOVE IT.
    Really nice job with the session ale. Good bitterness, amazing aroma, big body for a 48 brew. Really good .

ArchietheDragon likes this.
  17. Beericjb

Beericjb Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2012 Connecticut

Granola Brown is one the best brown ales I've ever had. I'm sure its going to be flying in the Fall. The other 3 are also really good. I'm super excited about the strawberry gose and other future releases.

Shyla987 and ArchietheDragon like this.
  18. dipalova

salted strawberry gose is very good....watch out nebco...here comes black hog

19. Apuzarne

Apuzarne Initiate (73) Dec 21, 2011 Connecticut

Where did you try it? I have been looking forward to trying this for a while.

20. smutty33

smutty33 Defender (673) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut

On tap at Mikro in Hamden as of Aug. 2,not sure if it is still on.They haven't updated since.

Cheers

21. Apuzarne

Apuzarne Initiate (73) Dec 21, 2011 Connecticut

Thanks

22. OkayBrendan

OkayBrendan Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2014 Connecticut

I had the Gose at Mikro, as well. Was not very impressed with it, to be honest. I personally found it to be far too light (in texture & flavor). They have a long way to get to NEBCO status, but I do have very high hopes for this brewery!

Bizoneill and codasnap52 like this.
  23. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Aspirant (254) Nov 2, 2007 Vermont

Chatted with BH brewer Tyler Jones at Beer Camp about his transition from Portsmouth. Seemed very pumped about having his own gig, and I enjoyed his beers at the fest.

24. DougC123

DougC123 Disciple (313) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

I had the IPA last week and liked it. You need to be very careful in a crowded bar when you say "I'll try a black hog".

MattXT, NuclearRich and ellis860 like this.
  25. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (86) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

SWAG was ok. Ginja Ninja, good. Easy Rye'da very good. Most impressed by the Brown Ale. Really great. Haven't had the Gose yet. But have heard - FWIW - that more interesting beers will be coming.

Kind of interesting that Oxford, CT is going to have 2 really good breweries (w/ OEC) with Nebco just a short drive away. If I was an entrepreneur, I'd open a locally-sourced burrito/taco take-out only place on the drive between all 3. Seriously, sort of. Ha.

26. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

underwhelmed by the sage saison

27. Patbrown2

Patbrown2 Initiate (130) Nov 27, 2013 Connecticut

I haven't an ounce of experience @ aunching/running a brewery. But if I did undertake such a thing, one of the first things I'd explore how to communicate where consumers can find my beers(both bars/restaurants & stores). I might even rank that priority ahead of such important things such as selling tshirts

It's amazing how much effort is put into fining a certain beer by folks on these boards

28. OkayBrendan

OkayBrendan Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2014 Connecticut

They do have a very active facebook presence, and are constantly announcing WHO and WHAT. That is how I found out about the Gose

29. jayrutgers

jayrutgers Initiate (185) Oct 29, 2011 New Jersey

I quite liked the gose. Really refreshing.

30. Beericjb

Beericjb Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2012 Connecticut

Grapefruit peel and sage wheat ale.

31. Mesa512

Mesa512 Aspirant (266) Apr 29, 2011 Connecticut
    Trader

Does anyone have any idea when they will be officially open? I checked their Facebook page and their own website but under tasting room it says will be open Mid-Summer 2014. I emailed them as well but have yet to hear back. Any ideas?

32. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

ordinary had it listed as a sage saison. either way still unimpressed.

Beericjb likes this.
  33. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Devotee (407) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts

I always enjoyed Tyler's beers when he was in Portsmouth, so I'm looking forward to trying Black Hog next time I'm in Connecticut. Does anyone know if they're available/going to be available in the Hartford or Middletown area?

34. AaronF

AaronF Initiate (112) Jun 23, 2012 Connecticut

They have been on tap at numerous locations in Hartford and Middletown. I think they did their first tap takeover at Max Burger in West Hartford. I tried 4 of the beers there. They were solid although I found the Granola Brown to be complex and quite interesting (for a brown). I believe Eli Cannon's has also received some of the beers. They are really good about updating Facebook about locations where you can find the beers.

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  35. WillieThreebiers

WillieThreebiers Poo-Bah (3,432) Apr 26, 2012 Connecticut

Stopped by the brewery today and was very impressed with how things are coming together and with the 4 beers I sampled. The beers were all solid, tasty, and interesting. Word from the brewer is shooting for grand opening the weekend of the 23rd.

sandman3479 likes this.
  36. dipalova

I know a guy..(wink wink.) Word is opening day is 8/30 , full pig roast don't sleep on these guys...they are for real..next up...coffee milk stout on nitro tap....pins and needles...yup that's what I'm waiting on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.