Black IPA's with El Dorado hops

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Topher78, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Topher78

Topher78 Aspirant (218) Jul 8, 2011 California

Hey everyone, I'm looking at brewing another black IPA and I'm interested in using El Dorado hops in it. Does anyone know of any commercial examples of BIPA's that use El Dorado? Just loooking for a reference point. Thanks and Cheers!

2. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,911) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I do not know many commercial black IPAs (i.e., I haven't tried many), commercial beers with El Dorado, and nothing the combines the two. I have used all El Dorado aroma and dry hopping in a homebrew, in conjunction with a neutral bittering hop. It was initially fruity (not sure what fruit, this was 2-3 years back or so), but the hops did not persist.

3. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Disciple (394) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

I'd be very surprised if there is a pro Black IPA made with El Dorado. Why do you want to make a Black IPA with El Dorado?

4. Teton

Teton Initiate (80) Jan 18, 2013 Colorado

Not El Dorado, but Mikkeller makes a black IPA with mosiac that blew me away recently. Good black IPA reference if you can find it.

Lukass likes this.
  5. CADETS3

CADETS3 Initiate (179) Dec 3, 2014 Texas

Why? What's wrong with that?

6. Brew_Betty

Because El Dorado isn't commonly used in pro beers with a broad distribution. Because every Black IPA I've tried was chock full of C hops and none of them had El Dorado.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to make a Black IPA with El Dorado. I just want to know why. Perhaps the answer could produce a useful response.

7. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (128) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

El dorado is bogus. I like chinook summit and simcoe in a black IPA. Embrace the pine

MrOH likes this.
  8. chavinparty

Mosaic can do no wrong

Topher78 likes this.
  9. CADETS3

Well I'm not a professional, but I used it at the end stages of the boil on a weird black IPA / milk stout because I really like the aroma in regards to what I was going for.

10. Brew_Betty

Do you make any beers without lactose? Just curious.

11. CADETS3

I've made about 10 without lactose. The brew tasted awesome going into the fermenter and ended up more of a darker brown ale since I didn't use any chocolate. I used about 4 oz of roasted barley and 1.5 lbs of crystal 120.

12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,484) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Back on track though.... stone released a brown ipa that used el dorado. It was the best thing I have tried from stone. I think it was the 16th anniversary beer.

Topher78 likes this.
  13. Topher78

Topher78 Aspirant (218) Jul 8, 2011 California

Thanks everyone. I like brewing BIPA's and have a fairly solid recipe that produces good results. That being said I've had a few IPA's with El Dorado recently; SN's Tropical IPA comes to mind, and loved them. Then I checked my freezer and found a pound of El Dorado that I bought in 2013...needs to get used soon. Thought I would use it in conjunction with Simcoe or Amarillo. Just wanted to see if I could locate something to loosely base my recipe on. Cheers! Oh and I've got a name picked out...."Black Gold"

14. Lukass

Lukass Savant (989) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

I was about to say the same thing. That beer was excellent

15. jkn09

jkn09 Aspirant (275) Oct 17, 2012 Texas

Unrelated to the original question, but how about Simcoe and Mosaic? That's what I've got lying around and am contemplating a Black IPA.

chavinparty likes this.
  16. CavemanBrau

CavemanBrau Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 Iowa

Just brewed a Mosaic Simcoe IPA and from my samples I can't imagine wanting a roasty character with those 2 hops. YMMV

17. chavinparty

I think it could work. Addition timing would be critical to success. Not a lot of experience with either hop but I do a black IPA every winter with simcoe and chinook dry hops. I think you'd want something abrasive like chinook or summit for bittering

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.