Black Lives Matter @BeerAdvocate

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Jun 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,871) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

The vast minority, huh? The problem with positions of authority is that they tend to attract exactly the kind of people that are least equipped to handle them.

I'm not going to post the video here, but just go to youtube and search for "20 minutes of pure police brutality (Compilation May 30th 2020)".

2. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,957) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

In preparation for the upcoming state investigation of the Minneapolis Police Dept., some records were released. According to the Dept.'s own records, over the last five years force was used 7 times as much against black suspects as white suspects. It is logical to want to investigate a dept. with this kind of record, above and beyond the team murder of Mr. Floyd. Add to it that the dept. took no action on their own info, and likely no action would have been taken against the murderers of Mr. Floyd if video evidence hadn't become public. It may not be a culture of institutional racism, but gramps said if it looks, walks, and quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

DOiNK, keithmurray, IKR and 12 others like this.
  3. OffTrail

OffTrail Initiate (83) Aug 12, 2012 Washington

IIRC some posters defended Founders for not firing an employee who referred to a black manager as "the head n***** in charge". I thought that defence of Founders in that case was pretty questionable.

4. OffTrail

On the one hand, I agree. On the other hand, let's not give 95% of our attention to the 5% who are acting up. The message of the 95% who are peacefully protesting is much more important.

Jaycase and algebeeric_topology like this.
  5. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,414) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

No confusion here, your entitled to your opinion I’m ok with that. I disagree but so what .

BuzzedNinthBeer likes this.
  6. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,414) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Considering the population and how many daily interactions there are , yes the vast minority have no business wearing a badge. The bad just overwhelmingly out do the good police, that guy should have been fired 17 years ago.

BuzzedNinthBeer likes this.
  7. OffTrail

It is that simple. 99% of the businesses in this country are owned by white people. You will NEVER get lesser treatment in those businesses because of the color of your skin. You don't even have to think about it, and as a white person I never do. For black people it's different.

White is the default race in this country.

mikeinportc likes this.
  8. William_Navidson

William_Navidson Aspirant (205) May 1, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Trader

So we're in this thread to foster understanding about how some of our inclinations or blind spots may in fact be contributing to a racist environment, perhaps even unintentionally, right? Maybe if you try to explain what exactly you disagree with, we could work towards fostering a dialogue and clearing up that disagreement.

9. Todd

Todd Founder (6,031) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

I posted this to let Black people know where BeerAdvocate stands. Where I stand. With them. That I'm committed to making BeerAdvocate a safer place for everyone with all of your help.

In hindsight, I should've posted this thread and locked it down, because there's no debate to be had here. You either believe that the lives of Black people matter or you don't. You either want to create a better BeerAdvocate community or you don't. There's no middle ground, no exceptions, no tolerance for any form racism. The end.

ICYMI: For those who feel the need to remind us that "All Lives Matter," please read: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/every-time-you-say-all-li_1_b_11004780

tl;dr:

[​IMG]

Be kind. Be safe. Listen. Learn. Vote for change. Be the change. And thanks for your support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.