Black pepper stout

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GormBrewhouse, Nov 30, 2018.

1. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (393) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

ok Brewers, here is my lastest request. Some of the guys asked if I could sub black pepper for habanyero.

Usually I use just a bit of the hab and it's good, but this is black pepper.

Sooooo, I am thinking 1 teaspoon at 10 or 5 of semi crushed peppercorns.

Do you Brewers think it is right or should there be more.

This will. Be. Standard stout recipe

12 lb marris otter
    1 lb black patent
    .5 roast barly
    .5'bairds chocolate
    1 lb oats
    .75 50/60 British crystal
    2 oz fugglings home grown
    1 oz fuggles fo

2. MrOH

MrOH Champion (848) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

I've used peppercorns in a couple of saisons in the past. Always used a blend, along with other spices, but at 1g, it was there, but didn't stand out too much. (Kinda the point of using a blend of spices). Faded fairly quickly, though.

3. GormBrewhouse

I knew @MrOH would know. But is it worth while in your opinion in the above mentioned stout. Seeing just 1 reply tells me it's not an ingredient other Brewers use.

4. MrOH

I don't think I would use it in a stout. If you're looking to change up your spicy stout, maybe try playing around with different dried chilis.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  5. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,755) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Radical Brewing, Page 162:
    "Adds depth and complexity to beer, especially dark ones. Enhances other flavors. Use in small quantities, less than a teaspoon per 5 gallon batch."

I think whole peppercorns is a good idea. While they don't give up their flavor as easily as crushed, it's probably more controlled and maybe more easily pulled (if in a sack) when you reach a desirable level. As always with spices, you can always add more but you can never add less.

GormBrewhouse and Prep8611 like this.
  6. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,386) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

A friend makes a tasty peppercorn rye ale. He uses Malabar peppercorns.

7. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (97) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

I had a beer at a local homebrewer vs pro brewer. The guy said he has been playing with the recipe and said he thinks an ounce is perfect. I did not sample the beer again... but felt there was more wrong with it than just the super strong pepper.

8. GormBrewhouse

1 oz seems rather large, like no thanks, lol. We r looking for a bit of pepper taste.the peppercorn rye sounds interesting. I'm wondering about a rye stout with some black pepper might be good. I think @riptorn made a stout with rye. Perhaps he will weigh in here.

9. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (95) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

I did make a coffee stout with some rye malt to try and get some heftier mouthfeel, but at 8% (1 lb) of the grain bill for 5-gallons I’m not sure it could be called a Rye Stout. I don’t get anything peppery from it, and I think more would be needed to get the chewyness I was after....but that’s another story.
    Some say Grains of Paradise can give off a peppery taste. I’ve used GoP in a few lighter ales but evidently not enough of it to get pepper, (if GoP can actually can do that.)

ETA: Along the lines of what @MrOH said about experimenting with other chilies, have you considered chipotle peppers? If the smoke came through in the aroma that could be an interesting stout.
    But that doesn't help curb your buddies' black pepper jones.

#9 riptorn, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    GormBrewhouse and MrOH like this.
  10. MrOH

The times I've used peppercorns in the past were in rye saisons. Works well with the expectation of spice from rye and the phenols from the yeast. So far as a rye stout, maybe, especially if you throw some smoked malt in there.

11. GormBrewhouse

Yeah ripper, the pepper jones

Still, rye can be detected in IPAs, let's run and gun using 1 lb of flaked rye replacing the barley ans add a couple lbs of rye malt.

MrOH likes this.
  12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,243) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

maybe reach out to lefthand brewing, their black pepper porter was pretty damned tasty.

13. MrOH

I only sorta understand this, but fully support it.

14. GormBrewhouse

You @MrOH,,,,,, me to but life is short, lets experiment, yaaaaaaaah

15. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (95) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Which barley are you replacing with the 1# flaked rye?

16. GormBrewhouse

Well slap me sideways, I forgot to add the flaked barley to the recipe. Anywho I'm a figurin adding flak rye and rye malt to the stout recipe, and, some corse black perrercorns. Let's hope none git in da bottles