Black Saisons

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bfields4, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bfields4

bfields4 Zealot (585) Dec 11, 2007 Colorado

So, I've been on a big saison kick lately, and I'm curious if there are any good black saisons floating around out there? I'm guessing they could also be classified as a belgian dark ale, but they always seem kind of sweet. Looking for something that's dry and crisp maybe even slightly hoppy.

-Cheers
    Ben

2. Kerrie

Kerrie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2012 Michigan

I wish I could help... the only black saison I've ever seen or heard of is a local seasonal in my area that doesn't distribute. Bastone Brewery's Saison Noir. I'm mainly writing this to see everyone's responses because I'm also interested in more and the "watch thread" option has never actually worked for me. Cheers!

3. Ri0

Ri0 Poo-Bah (2,562) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Prairie Ales Funky Galaxy may be what you're looking for.

4. BB1313

BB1313 Poo-Bah (2,668) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio

New Holland Four Witches is the only one I recall having.. it was decent, but didn't remind me much of a saison at all.. it was an anise/black licorice bomb..

dianimal and djsmith1174 like this.
  5. kbuzz

kbuzz Champion (850) Jan 22, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Tired hands guillemot nebula. One of my top five beers of the year so far.

6. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Disciple (343) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

This is the only one I've ever had. Exact same thing I thought about it.

7. Dweedlebug

Dweedlebug Disciple (371) Feb 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

8. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Disciple (367) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

St Somewhere Serge is great.

ThreeFishes likes this.
  9. CrackTheSkye

CrackTheSkye Initiate (135) Nov 3, 2011 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I don't know if you would have access to anything from Stillwater here in Baltimore but they are experts in the style. I had their Jaded the other day and was quite tasty. However its technically a Belgian strong dark, and actually really caramel in color I don't know if it's what your really looking for. However their Folklore sounds like just what your looking for.

10. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Meyvn (1,059) Mar 19, 2011 Ohio

I enjoyed the Stone collaboration Black Saison at a beer fest, http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/87091

I still see a couple of them on shelves even though it was a one-time collaboration and I think it hit shelves about a year ago.

TongoRad likes this.
  11. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (198) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

Magic Hat has a brown saison...

12. Kerrie

Kerrie Initiate (0) Aug 24, 2012 Michigan

Unfortunately, I didn't like that one...
    I'm assuming by your "..." that you didn't think much of it. Neither did I, sadly.

13. Zaphog

Zaphog Poo-Bah (2,211) Sep 23, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Hill Farmstead Edith is tasty as hell!

Resuin, kodt, Gosox8787 and 2 others like this.
  14. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,474) Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

i had a really fantastic one at a fest once, but it was a brewery like boulevard's experimental beer (think it was boulevard), and the brewer there said it had been axed. i thought it was awesome and deserved to be bottled.

had a great one from hill farmstead i think, but other than that my memory's murky. wouldn't be surprised if stillwater makes a good one.

underrepresented style despite the beer geek trendiness of saisons. meh.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  15. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Disciple (351) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I had still waters a saison darkly and really liked it no idea on availability but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Leepa_Time and Xandrose like this.
  16. WillemHC

WillemHC Aspirant (205) Jun 21, 2013 Utah
    Beer Trader

Stone did a colab black smoked saison with Stillwater and Evil Twin. I actually just bought a bottle that I found in Portland, OR, but haven't had it yet.

Also important to note (although I may be corrected on this matter) is that I probably would not consider a black saison a belgian dark ale. Belgian dark ale may too easily be confused with belgian dark strong ale, which wouldn't be anywhere near the style of any variation of something that could still be called a saison.

17. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (13,203) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Premium Member Beer Trader

This, Stillwater Existent, Fantome Black Ghost, and Jolly Pumpkin De Viento(best of the lot IMO) are all of the highly enjoyable ones I have had.

Leepa_Time likes this.
  18. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,479) Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Some of the ones I came to suggest have already been mentioned... Pepe Nero (probably my top recommendation) and Stone/Stillwater/Evil Twin "The Perfect Crime" being another.

Also, I personally enjoyed the Green Flash/St. Feuillien Friendship Brew, although it seems to be a pretty polarizing beer around here. On the bright side, that probably means it can still be found pretty easily...

Lastly, Hof Ten Dormaal makes a pretty tasty "dark" saison: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23031/66686. I wouldn't call it black like the others that have been suggested, but it's definitely in that Belgian Dark Ale wheelhouse. When I had it, it struck me as analogous to a dunkelweizen the same way a standard farmhouse would be analogous to a hefeweizen, if that makes sense.

19. vfgccp

vfgccp Poo-Bah (2,708) Oct 28, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I've had Stillwater's A Saison Darkly and the Evil Twin/Stillwater/Stone Collab The Perfect Crime and didn't love either. Actually think my bottle of The Perfect Crime was skunky and that's why I still have 1 of the 2 I bought. Goose Island's Pepe Nero is pretty good and you'll be able to find that much easier, so I'd look for that. I have one in my cellar myself.

20. vfgccp

vfgccp Poo-Bah (2,708) Oct 28, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Good call, Existent is really good. Especially the barrel aged version.

21. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Initiate (198) Apr 23, 2007 Minnesota

It's magic hat... 'Nuff said.

Kerrie likes this.
  22. WilderPegasus

WilderPegasus Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2012 Ontario (Canada)

If you don't mind an Imperial Black Saison, there's Dieu Du Ciel's Isseki Nicho.

23. Papparoachy

Papparoachy Initiate (199) Apr 11, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Another vote for Stillwater's Existent and A Saison Darkly. In fact, they have many amazing saisons.

24. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,218) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

I had a bottle of that - The Perfect Crime. Didn't enjoy it much - flavors clashed a little too much for me. Pepe Nero wasn't bad

25. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

There might be some good ones, but it's like a white IPA - bullshit.

Snowdog likes this.
  26. atomic

atomic Disciple (332) Sep 22, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Pepe Nero is kinda weird when fresh. Not bad, but not very good either. But I found 2 4pks on the shelves at a hole in the wall from February 2011 that was discounted, and thought, eh why not? It was amazing. Went back and bought the second 4pk they had.

27. TheBishopco

TheBishopco Devotee (456) Feb 4, 2011 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noir is tasty and easily available.

28. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (4,059) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Hill Farmstead Phenomenology of Spirit

BrainTree likes this.
  29. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,474) Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

it's always nice to refute oneself in a short sentence.

30. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2005 Minnesota

You're telling me.

31. MarioM

MarioM Zealot (514) Sep 13, 2009 California

32. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 New York

If you are speaking of Seance then you aren't doing the OP any favors

imbrue001, Kerrie and joelwlcx like this.
  33. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2006 Florida

One of my favorites in recent memory was Green Flash. The Stone collab and Terrapin Tomfoolery were also good, but all 3 of these are not regularly brewed so they might be tough to find.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  34. 1up

1up Disciple (361) Mar 5, 2013 District of Columbia

Mad Fox has one called Reynard's Black Saison. It's a bit on the sweet side but I liked it, though it was a long time ago and my palate (pallet for people using this site) has changed quite a bit since then:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23201/75571

35. ncstateplaya

ncstateplaya Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2008 North Carolina

Man, I had my first experience with Pepe Nero a few weeks ago. I guess I wasn't exactly sure what to expect, but I was a little disappointed. The way I have described it to friends is a yeasty thin bodied porter. It left me wishing it had more of something, just not quite sure of what I wanted more of. An enigma...have revisited it on two other occasions, still leaves me scratching my head. :confused:

36. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Savant (935) May 14, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

I have had only about 4 different ones of this style. Funky Galaxy was very nice, but my favorite was La Grippe by Solemn Oath. Had it last December in their taproom...it was more of an imperial black saison, IMO.

37. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Savant (935) May 14, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

38. bfields4

bfields4 Zealot (585) Dec 11, 2007 Colorado

Had this guy last night. Great suggestion. Right up my alley

Ri0 likes this.
  39. unclekeith

unclekeith Defender (693) Sep 4, 2012 Alaska
    Beer Trader

nikalus31 likes this.
  40. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (473) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Regular Guillemot is one of the best beers I've ever had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.