Black tuesday for BCBVS... How far off am I?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by GBallHead, Jun 29, 2013.

1. GBallHead

GBallHead Aspirant (244) Oct 6, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Have black tuesday (12)looking for bourbon county vanilla, willing to add if needed, just wondering if im close.

2. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

this might have gotten done a year or so ago when BT was significantly less common. not anymore. you're probably looking at chocolate rain or higher.

3. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Aspirant (209) Sep 20, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

BCBVS is a one-off (so far) and is the most sought after BCBS variant other than Rare (probably). Black Tuesday is RS/HS-only (while BCBVS was shelf) but is produced annually in possibly increasing numbers.

4. GBallHead

Beer Trader

Yeah kinda figured, thanks for the advice guys

5. GBallHead

Beer Trader

Shouldnt have much trouble pulling bramble +somthin small with it though right?

6. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Aspirant (209) Sep 20, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I sent a Bramble + Zhukov for a CR, but that was with someone I had traded with before

7. MykelJH

MykelJH Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2011 California

Probably about 2 more BT off

8. cbeer88

cbeer88 Crusader (719) Sep 5, 2007 Massachusetts

Only one way to find out...

My guess is this won't be as easy as you think though. The only difference between Vanilla and Bramble is Vanilla is a year older. Vanilla is a better beer too, but we all know taste has no impact on what beers trade for these days.

BT bottle counts went through the roof last year, and will continue to be huge every year. Bramble was just a one-off. You may get it done, but I wouldn't expect an inbox explosion.

9. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2010 Indiana

Drink the BT.... seriously.

10. M1A2

M1A2 Initiate (191) Jan 15, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

^^^^agreed^^^^

ridglens likes this.
  11. DmouthCaliBrewz

DmouthCaliBrewz Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 New Hampshire

This. You will get profoundly more enjoyment from the BTs and more u would have to give up to get the vanilla. Since ur not from Cali I would most definitely tell u to drink the BT

SubpoenaDeuces likes this.
  12. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Meyvn (1,443) Jan 8, 2009 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I hate saying this, but that is completely your subjective opinion. If someone loves vanilla flavor with a 13+ % stout, BCBVS is up their alley versus BT. Also, no one says CALI ;)

13. DmouthCaliBrewz

DmouthCaliBrewz Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2013 New Hampshire

I only said that because if he was posting this thread, OP probably was hesitant to trade the BT, and I'm guessing because he hadn't tried it. Being from Indiana, OP doesn't exactly have easy access to Bruery stuff, and I like to live by "drink first, trade later." Both are world class beers, and since the bruery is blowing up and starting to expand, he could probably get another bottle in the future without taking out a 2nd mortgage. I figured OP should drink his BT now, and then if he finds his way to another, then trade. But thats just how I think.

And BTW, I was born, raised, and still live in SoCal (only in NH for school), and can tell you that people most definitely do say CALI brahhhhhh.

14. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Meyvn (1,443) Jan 8, 2009 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Hm...I was out there for seven years for undergrad and law school and every native I met [including my best friend who was from Fountain Valley] always said "Don't say Cali" (just like in Arrested Development when someone says the "OC" they say "don't say that"). But alas, I digress :)

Justinsosmart likes this.
  15. GBallHead

Beer Trader

Going with this.

16. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2012 Illinois

you know something? bcbvs is a really great beer. at this point, though, if you're asking for a vanilla bomb, you will be disappointed. if you're looking for a nice vanilla twinge to an already amazing beer, and you absolutely must have the official version, by all means trade for bcbvs. i traded a fou foune for one, shared it on my birthday, and had zero regrets about doing so.

if you want to taste bcbvs but don't necessarily have the trade ammo, you can do one better. if you're a homebrewer, or have a friend that's a homebrewer, you can get your hands on a bottle of 2012 bcbs. take said 2012 bcbs. find a vanilla bean. split said vanilla bean down the middle with a paring knife. insert bean into bcbs and recap. shake every couple of days. after a week or two, pour out your new bcbvs simulation. i guarantee it's at least as good as the real bcbvs tastes right now.

edit: if you can't trade for regular bcbs...you're not trying hard enough.

edit 2: vanilla beans are cheap as fuck on ebay. you can get them for under 50 cents a bean.

SubpoenaDeuces and chardlogic like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe