Blackrocks

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by fishmich, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billydoughnuts

Billydoughnuts Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2015 Michigan

I'll take a look next time and post back to see if we can figure it out

2. Hezy

Hezy Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2014 Michigan

Cant find Presque ale anywhere. Any sightings down state or in the TC area last couple days?

miwestcoaster likes this.
  3. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Meyvn (1,224) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan

I was looking for it in TC last weekend. No dice.

4. westlaunboy

westlaunboy Initiate (190) Mar 31, 2010 Washington
    Trader

I've never seen it in A2, and my local - who carries at least 4 different BR beers - has never heard of it being available.

5. gashmoney

gashmoney Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Michigan

So, has anyone figured out how the code on the sticker works? Had a couple cans of 51K last night, seemed fresh but I only bought the two singles. Need to go buy a six pack or two immediately and want to try and make sure I'm not buying some old stuff.

6. westlaunboy

westlaunboy Initiate (190) Mar 31, 2010 Washington
    Trader

That's been discussed pretty extensively on this thread - it's just a batch number, so there's not much info embedded into it. I haven't seen any kind of batch date list anywhere, so at the moment they're only useful as a sort of relative measure.

gashmoney likes this.
  7. BoneyardBrewer

BoneyardBrewer Initiate (0) Apr 24, 2005 Michigan

The Lager Mill in Frankenmuth still has some I believe.

The new Nordskye Session IPA is out now and its delicious.

MIbeer27 likes this.
  8. MIbeer27

MIbeer27 Aspirant (232) Jul 26, 2014 Michigan

Can confirm that Nordskye is delicious. For those keeping track, it was batch number 167 (Blackrocks announced the beer on August 4th on their Facebook page).

9. thewineselleraa

thewineselleraa Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Michigan

What did YOUR taste buds think?

10. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,976) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

For what it's worth I contacted them thinking their cans were Julian dated. That's when I found out the number is the batch number--and they're presently (as of mid-April, 2016) at batch #254.

DrinktotheDead, hopnado and MIbeer27 like this.
  11. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 Michigan

Agreed on the canning date comments, would definitely buy more if I knew the date.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  12. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

Just grabbed 2 Sixers of 51k with batch number 231 on 4/20/16...for whatever it's worth

13. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Initiate (83) Sep 27, 2014 Michigan

Grabbed a 6 pack of 51k with a batch # of 246 on Sunday.

I do wish they would at least publish their batch release dates on their website similar to the way Pipeworks does - this way we could at least look up the batch release date at the store before buying. Of course a "canned on" date would be the best!

Just have to contact them and request it - if enough of us do it it could become a reality.....

Fargrow, LambicPentameter and hopnado like this.
  14. hopnado

hopnado Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2014 Michigan

how old do you think 231 is? I always buy mine from the same store and it always tastes great. Just wondering what the time frame between 231 and 246 is

edit; just emailed black rocks so hope to have a response soon

#54 hopnado, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  15. BWichmann74

Just using math alone, if they made 251 batches by Mid-April that would come out to about 2 batches per day so the difference between 246-231 would be 7-8 days.

I know a lot more parameters go into this, but that's all I got.....

16. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

I think that 251 dates back further than the beginning of the year. If you look upthread, you'll see a comment from July 2015 citing a batch number of 147. So, over 100 batches in 9 months if we assume that the date of the post is somewhat close to the actual canning date. That's roughly a batch canned every three days (assuming that they spread the cannings out evenly, which who knows...) so 15 batches apart would be a month and a half.

Honesty, I love 51k so much, I'd be satisfied with a page on their website that had a batch-to-canning-date translator. That wouldn't require a huge investment in dating equipment. I would buy it all the time if I was sure it was relatively fresh. As it is, I buy it now and hope for the best.

17. BWichmann74

Lambic - good call. I didn't start with the whole thread but just "jumped in" and assumed batch #1 meant first of the year.

I agree, 51k is great and as far as Michigan beers on a regular rotation, this and fresh two-hearted are my go to beers. If I'm not buying specialty releases, I end up with one of these 4/5 times

I'll email them about a batch release page on their site, do the same - power in #'s

18. BWichmann74

Here's the response from Andy at Blackrocks - looks like canning dates are in our future for Blackrocks!!!

Hi Brandon,
    We started putting the brew date on the top sticker. We want to get a coder eventually. Thanks for sending us a message and supporting our brews!
    Cheers,
    Andy

19. AnchorDrops

AnchorDrops Initiate (0) May 11, 2013 Michigan

That's awesome, I'll start looking for dates on the stickers now.

20. red94tt

red94tt Disciple (362) Nov 27, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

Extremely good news as I sip on a Coconut Brown! 51k has become my go-to IPA over the past couple of months. While I haven't had any issues with sixers tasting stale, a brew date will add extra piece of mind.

21. bigtizz123

bigtizz123 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2014 Ohio

Was up in GR last month visiting family and my cousin busted out some 51K, saying it was his new favorite Michigan ipa. I've gotta admit, it was awesome. Super clean and easy. Grabbed some of that, along with the coconut brown and the limited pilsner to bring back to Ohio. Really enjoyed all, especially the pilsner. It was one of the nicest American pilsners I've had in awhile. Looking forward to getting more when up there in June.

red94tt likes this.
  22. Ginepiece

Ginepiece Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2013 Wisconsin

How has no one mentioned that Blackrocks is coming to WI yet?! I am on my phone or I would share the picture they posted on Facebook earlier this week. No hint of timing, but I can't wait!!

PseudoBen likes this.
  23. djhowell

djhowell Disciple (332) Apr 1, 2009 Wisconsin

[​IMG]

Nice, I'm really looking forward to this. Clever announcement too.

red94tt, PseudoBen and cl3 like this.
  24. cl3

cl3 Disciple (328) Aug 16, 2013 Wisconsin

Great news! I was excited about Short's arriving in WI, but this news blows that out of the water. Kayaking and 51K are a match made in heaven.

NotHereForGold likes this.
  25. whatsleftofyou

whatsleftofyou Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2006 Michigan

I just picked up two sixes of Honey Lav for my wife and it does indeed have a packaged date instead of the batch number now.

red94tt, jmich24 and MIbeer27 like this.
  26. cl3

steebo777 likes this.
  27. ypsifly

ypsifly Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2004 Michigan

I have a six of Nordskye in front of me that has 8/29/16 stamped on the bottoms of the cans. Five o'clock can't come soon enough....

28. cl3

Fresh-tasticâ„¢!

29. HighBoostOnly

HighBoostOnly Initiate (0) Feb 15, 2016 Michigan

blackrocks is the best. hands down. witchs hat and blackrocks, wow we are lucky.

30. whatsleftofyou

I couldn't make it up to Marquette for this sale, but got to try it at the MBG UP Fall Beer Fest yesterday. It didn't suck.

31. cl3

I bet. What were some of the highlights from the festival? I keep saying that I'm gonna make it back there but can never work it out. I went the first three years and had a blast each time.

32. lewdwig

lewdwig Aspirant (247) Jan 6, 2013 Michigan

Rained at the UP Beer Fest from about 3-5 pm. Drank quite a few saisons, the Pig beer was interesting as was the Pasty beer. I had rain gear so I was happy.

Attended several of the previous night's tap takeovers (a hint to the bars - adequate staffing).

33. dirtyfonzie

dirtyfonzie Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2015 Illinois

I think Nordskye might be my favorite session beer after a nice long week up around Iron Mt. Great swimming beer in my opinion.

34. whatsleftofyou

cl3 likes this.
  35. cl3

Blown away by how good the Blackrocks Classic Pilsner is. It just unseated 51k as my favorite U.P. brewed beer. So clean and crisp. If it were available in NW WI, I could easily see it being my go-to beer. Wish I would have grabbed a couple of sixers before I left the Yoop.

36. Tracker83

Tracker83 Devotee (496) Jun 26, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

The only thing keeping me from loading up on Blackrocks for my daily drinking beers is the price. Here around GR 51k is usually 12.99, while pilsner, nordskye, Presque ale and others are 13.99/six. That's hard to justify for the style (pilsners, pale ales, session Ipas, etc.).

37. whatsleftofyou

That's highway robbery! Their beers are $8.99/$9.99 all over the U.P. I noticed they were pretty spendy the last time I visited my sister in Ann Arbor too, so I'm guessing their downstate distro is gouging.

38. azurel

azurel Initiate (0) May 27, 2016 Michigan

Blackrocks Starman is one of the best pale ales produced...Haven't had 51k yet but it's on my list....Think it was 11.99 for the 6er...

ScottRansom and Duncan83 like this.
  39. SteelCranium

SteelCranium Initiate (94) Jul 1, 2010 Ohio

Heading up to the western UP next week. Does Blackrocks still use the batch number instead of a date? If so, any idea what a recent batch number would be? I only get 51K a few times a year so would like something reasonably fresh.

Do they sell carry-out cans at the brewery in MQT? Mostly fish and hike while in the UP but will try to make a visit to MQT on the way up to visit Blackrocks. Would rather get fresh stuff straight from the source if possible.

Any other releases worth getting in the UP? Had Upper Hand's Old Fighter for the first time during a trip in May last year. Was a worthwhile purchase.

40. Tracker83

Tracker83 Devotee (496) Jun 26, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

Blackrocks now uses an actual date. 51k seems to turnover quick downstate so everything on shelves is usually very fresh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.